Sprint Spark on Nexus 5 activated but why am I not getting any Spark service?

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't get Spark anywhere in Miami where its launched. I drive all day long due to my job, I check constantly which band I'm on and its always on band 25. Never 41, much less 26.

I did this manually as Sprint hasn't updated the N5 for Spark themselves.
Band 41 is set to priority 1, the rest 0.

Am I missing something? Do I need for Sprint to do this themselves?
Thoughts??

Posted via Android Central App

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Activated Sprint Spark on Nexus 5 but...

Do you know which towers in that area actually broadcast on band 41? Given that this *is* Sprint, expect a gradual rollout (and expect them to update their coverage maps right away to indicate what the coverage WILL be after a loooong time)

- a Sprint customer

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

A good friend of mine works in Downtown Miami and uses SPRINT for his personal phone and has yet to see SPARK on his 32GB Nexus 5 purchased directly from Google and set up just like yours regarding Band priority.

He speculates that until SPRINT officially supports the N5 their system will not allow N5 to access anything other than Band 25, but that is speculation so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

Dan

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

I was able to connect to a tower with Band 41 in Austin TX last weekend (N5 from google play), so Sprint isn't actively blocking that.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Sprint coverage map shows 'Turbo Spark' in my zip code 33012.

Something to note though, right there in the coverage map, It tells you coverage depends on device (obviously). So when I chose Nexus 5, it doesn't show Spark in the map.... When I chose let's say, the coming Galaxy S5, it switches the map right back to show the Spark coverage areas.

I would think its not supported yet, and that's just retarded with my 'Spark bands' 'on'.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Well last night I took it upon myself and called Sprint. Supposedly, Sprint began a rollout of a "Google initiated update" for the Nexus 5 on March 10th....
The rep also said, these updates were going to be in stages and should be completed 18-25 days after March 10th.
I don't know how accurate this is specially since I haven't even read any article or posts from anyone who has received this.

Very weird.
Thoughts?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Did Sprint indicate what type of update it was? Just a profile update? (it was not an OS update)
And was this update expected to enable Spark on N5? or was it something else?

I don't know how accurate this is specially since I haven't even read any article or posts from anyone who has received this.
I'm with ya on this...

prodeq12

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

Sprint coverage map shows 'Turbo Spark' in my zip code 33012.

Something to note though, right there in the coverage map, It tells you coverage depends on device (obviously). So when I chose Nexus 5, it doesn't show Spark in the map.... When I chose let's say, the coming Galaxy S5, it switches the map right back to show the Spark coverage areas.

I would think its not supported yet, and that's just retarded with my 'Spark bands' 'on'.

I have notice the same thing on the Sprint map. Spark turbo really means LTE band 41 and even though we can enable the band it doesn't mean we have the access to B41 so easily. There very few places where LTE band 26 is live yet. N5 owners have reported latching on to B41 in places like NYC and getting 45+ mbps. But in order to get those speeds they have flashed their N5 with an older version of Kit Kat (KRT01B) which had better radio abilities to hold B41 signals. For some reason the current Kit Kat build (KOT49H) isn't doing much for Sprint spark users.

So I guess Google has to adjust them radios once again and give us a new OTA updated so we can enjoy spark B41 goodness and B26 when available. I am hoping for this Google update very soon since I have noticed the GS5 and HTC M8 is supposed to get spark and they are both suppose to be running the latest version of Kit Kat.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Did Sprint indicate what type of update it was? Just a profile update? (it was not an OS update)
And was this update expected to enable Spark on N5? or was it something else?

I'm with ya on this...

Just an OTA update to enable it, and yes for the N5.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

I have notice the same thing on the Sprint map. Spark turbo really means LTE band 41 and even though we can enable the band it doesn't mean we have the access to B41 so easily. There very few places where LTE band 26 is live yet. N5 owners have reported latching on to B41 in places like NYC and getting 45+ mbps. But in order to get those speeds they have flashed their N5 with an older version of Kit Kat (KRT01B) which had better radio abilities to hold B41 signals. For some reason the current Kit Kat build (KOT49H) isn't doing much for Sprint spark users.

So I guess Google has to adjust them radios once again and give us a new OTA updated so we can enjoy spark B41 goodness and B26 when available. I am hoping for this Google update very soon since I have noticed the GS5 and HTC M8 is supposed to get spark and they are both suppose to be running the latest version of Kit Kat.

Agree.

Btw, does anyone know if by being on bands 41 & 26, we also get better indoor data and voice as well??

prodeq12

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

The lower the frequency the further the signal goes. So 800mhz signals travels further and penetrate deeper. Sprints old nextel 800mhz frequency is being upgraded for 1x voice service and LTE Band 26 for data. Sprint 1900mhz is currently too narrow and doesn't travel as far, is also over crowded since the majority of phones and sprint devices are on it. So there is a future to Sprint service and we are all anxiously waiting for it.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

The lower the frequency the further the signal goes. So 800mhz signals travels further and penetrate deeper. Sprints old nextel 800mhz frequency is being upgraded for 1x voice service and LTE Band 26 for data. Sprint 1900mhz is currently too narrow and doesn't travel as far, is also over crowded since the majority of phones and sprint devices are on it. So there is a future to Sprint service and we are all anxiously waiting for it.

Couldn't of said it any better! Thanks for the clarification too :)

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Just an OTA update to enable it, and yes for the N5.

Interesting. Look at the sprint support site

It shows that the most recent update is KRT49H, dated 12/9/2013, but the article was last updated on 3/10/14. Weird.
Hopefully there is really is an update being pushed out, but as you said, given that there are no articles/posts from anyone who has received this, I'm not buying it :)

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Interesting. Look at the sprint support site

It shows that the most recent update is KRT49H, dated 12/9/2013, but the article was last updated on 3/10/14. Weird.
Hopefully there is really is an update being pushed out, but as you said, given that there are no articles/posts from anyone who has received this, I'm not buying it :)

I hope its not related to 4.4.3!
:-\

prodeq12

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

Says nothing about Spark but thanks lol...

Yeah I know I'm also concerned we haven't got an actual confirmation from Google about spark or anything related to it.

The only information I gathered was that the Update for the LG G2 radios should be similar to the N5 radios update since they are both internally similar. But LG controls the G2 updates as where the N5 updates are controlled by Google. So we are hoping to see our spark radio updates on 4.4.3 but Its only hope without confirmation.

homer81

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

I was able to connect to band 41 with my nexus 5 for a few weeks in San Antonio. I would just need to do a PRL update after I enabled the bands. Now it won't work anymore. I do a PRL or profile update and it would connect for a few seconds, then drop to 3g. Is there a way to fix this? Hopefully the new update will be out soon.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

after all these years with Sprint I really think they need to get out of the wireless business and into the advertising and marketing business... I think they spend more time, effort and money on little video's like this and telling us about "Network Vision" and "Framily" vs actually making what has had the potential of being a really great network....... I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area and they list DFW as "Spark" enabled... I have it enabled on my 32 gig Nexus 5 and I can say I am seeing slight improvements.... LTE in a few spots where I use to not.... but it still does not seem like their network/towers can handle much...I go to work at 6 in the morning and I get an LTE signal and average speeds.. nothing to brag about.... by 9 am my LTE signal will actually go away and it will default back down to 3G and grinds to a halt it's so freaking slow.... and I don't move.. I sit at a desk all day... but as the parking lot starts to fill up the signal gets worse and the speeds get worse too.... and I work right at DFW international airport... Not like I am somewhere in the sticks.... One of the busier airports in the country... They CLAIM LTE and Spark coverage every where around where I work but it minimal at best.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463