What did you guys think about the HTC One (M8) compared to the Nexus 5?

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
What did you guys think about the M8? Compared to the Nexus?

Compared to the Nexus 5, of course it has a better built quality & the rest is camera features.. and more features... nothing really crazy? worth the extra 300.

Ordered my Nexus 5 today!

Last edited by a moderator:

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: What did you guys think about the M8? Compared to the Nexus?

Meh I personally Never liked HTC phones and that does little to change my mind. The addition of a micro sd card is a plus though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I think the Nexus 5 is the better phone, even if it's almost 6 months old. It's a good size and fit for a 5" screen. It's got the better camera. The processor and battery differences are negligible. After all that, it's still stock Android and a Nexus. There's nothing about the One that would even remotely be worth the $300.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Hopefully it will have much better success than the M7 did. I say that mainly because, while I don't care for HTC, that doesn't mean I want to see the company go away.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

I think the Nexus 5 is the better phone, even if it's almost 6 months old. It's a good size and fit for a 5" screen. It's got the better camera. The processor and battery differences are negligible. After all that, it's still stock Android and a Nexus. There's nothing about the One that would even remotely be worth the $300.

Same here, I have yet to see anything worth the extra 300 on any new flagship phone this year, that's why i just finished ordering the Nexus.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully it will have much better success than the M7 did. I say that mainly because, while I don't care for HTC, that doesn't mean I want to see the company go away.

I agree, hopefully they continue building on what they have now. It is a great phone.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

What did you guys think about the M8? Compared to the Nexus?
Really is a great phone. Fast, nice display, Awesome camera, SD expansion, they got rid of physical buttons, 5MP front camera(!)...and of course Stereo Speakers.

Still polluted with Sense. Also, I don't trust HTC. So I will pass on it...even the GPE. I don't trust HTC as far as updates after what they did to me on the Rezound.

Compared to the Nexus 5, of course it has a better built quality & the rest is camera features.. and more features... nothing really crazy? worth the extra 300.
If I could get it without Sense and with direct support from Google? Yes it would be worth an extra $300.

Still would not buy it. Not because it sucks but because there is even better stuff on the horizon. My next phone will have optical zoom.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I like the new One. I'm sure it feels great in the hand and Sense has come a long way, and I love how they've hopped on the bandwagon of putting features on the Play Store.

All that said, if I had to do it all over again I'd still pay Google $400 once than AT&T $640 over 12 months, especially given the specs of the N5. Some folks say you get the bugs first with the Nexus devices, which is true, but you also get the fixes first. Besides it's not like the OEMS don't introduce bugs of their own with their customizations.

I priced it out a bit and AFAIK the only phone I can get on AT&T next for $400 is the 16gb Moto X. That's a mighty strong argument considering the only annoyance I've found on the N5 so far is the wonky camera focus.

TonyStarks260

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I checked one out in store today. The display is beautiful. It feels very fast and responsive. I think for someone looking at a non stock android experience this is where you want to be. I've determined over time that I like the minimal stock android design and the ability to build upon it with my own customizations, but the m8 is definitely a high quality device

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

Haven't even thought about it. I am happy with my nexus 5.

Posted via Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Both the new HTC One and the S5 look like great devices.

Not enough to get me to upgrade from my moto x or nexus 5.

Used to switch to the newest all the time, but I just do not see anything to make me move on.

Sent from my Moto X!

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

I would have purchased the M8 in a heartbeat if it weren't for that same BS camera. I bought the N7 last year (before switching to the Nexus 5) and the camera is fine for social media but 4 MP is simply not good enough. You lose all ability to crop photos and, most important to me (now that I have a 5 month old daughter), the ability to print photos. The resolution of printed photos is simply a joke at 4 MP. If they would have even upgraded it to 8 MP, I would have purchased a developer edition immediately yesterday.

The only other feature that it's missing that I'd miss is wireless charging. I've grown to love it with my Nexus 5.

kluecke

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

If I could get it without Sense and with direct support from Google? Yes it would be worth an extra $300.

You can - they have both Google Play and Developer editions. I suppose the Play version doesn't give direct support from Google, but it is stock Android, and is updated very quickly.

The recent HTC devices are some of the best built out there - I think that is the main thing going for them. The Evo 4G LTE I just switched from had a much better feel in the hand and survived outless drops to the floor without a case and nary a scratch.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Both the new HTC One and the S5 look like great devices.

Not enough to get me to upgrade from my moto x or nexus 5.

Used to switch to the newest all the time, but I just do not see anything to make me move on.

Sent from my Moto X!

How do you swap sims between the X and the N5? Did you cut it down to nano size and use an adapter? Any problems?

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the value over an N5.
I still wish HTC well since competition spurs innovation. Unfortunately they missed the memo I sent them on how to compete against Samsung. They got the SD card right...but forgot the removable battery.

All they need to do is copy...

Posted via Serenity

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

I like how HTC focuses on things that make a difference in daily use - slide to unlock gestures, excellent speakers and audio quality, adding back sd card when they had abandoned it earlier.

Is there any other phone with comparable audio? I don't think so.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I could ever go back to a non-Nexus (or GPE) device.

Unadulterated Android, no carrier pre-installed garbage apps, virtually guaranteed prompt updates without carrier "certification" delays lasting months.

So while the HTC One doesn't interest me in the slightest, I might have been interested in the GPE version if I were in the market for a new phone.

But the N5 is still such a good performer I can't see it showing its age for a good year (or more).

And The One certainly isn't worth nearly 2x the price of the N5.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

I like how HTC focuses on things that make a difference in daily use - slide to unlock gestures, excellent speakers and audio quality, adding back sd card when they had abandoned it earlier.

Is there any other phone with comparable audio? I don't think so.

Ill connect my N5 to a real sound system if i really needed to listen to music loud and in better quality.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

I don't think I could ever go back to a non-Nexus (or GPE) device.

Unadulterated Android, no carrier pre-installed garbage apps, virtually guaranteed prompt updates without carrier "certification" delays lasting months.

So while the HTC One doesn't interest me in the slightest, I might have been interested in the GPE version if I were in the market for a new phone.

But the N5 is still such a good performer I can't see it showing its age for a good year (or more).

And The One certainly isn't worth nearly 2x the price of the N5.

Completely agree with you, my N5 is coming in the mail now and i already see it being hard to switch to anything that's not stock android. One isn't worth that money.

choclab1

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

My opinion is that for the value, the nexus 5 is very hard to beat. It is such a great device at $350-$400 that nobody can compete. I'm really enjoying the freedom of no contract as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463