How to install APK files on N5?

lolchain

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey! i have a issue with my N5.

I am trying since a week back to install an APK file to my new N5. Ive looked in forums and youtube and dont seem to be able to find a solution to my problem.

I tried to just download different APK installers to my N5 but as they look for the SD CARD and the N5 dont have any it comes up all empty. after a bit of research i found that ES file explorer could do the trick for me, and when i downloaded it i can now find the file with it, but i can not install it. Ive looked at guides that says with Es file explorer i should be able to just double click the APK file i want to install (it comes up as a .zip file) and it should install it for me, but in my case it only opens up the folder and inside i can only find .xml files, no .apk file that i can click on to install.

i found a program called "Wondershare MobileGo for Android" that should do the trick (in another forum thread) but as im at work and i dont have administrator access i cant install anything and would like to be able to solve this problem with just my phone.

anyone have any idea how to make it work? i cant be the only one that is having this problem.

thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: how to install APK files on N5

Okay, I do not know what an APK installer is, but I do know that you do not need one.

Installing an APK is fairly simple. In settings (swipe down with two fingers, hit "settings", go to security and make sure "unknown sources" is checked. Then, you can download an APK from a website, or whatever (if that is what the installer does, cool beans but scary) and then the APK should be in your "downloads" app. Tapping on that should bring up a yellow "install" or "cancel" box, proceed from there and it should show you app permissions and Google will have a box letting you know it is going to nuke the app if it determines that it is a virus, etc. Hitting the appropriate yes and okays, etc will complete installation.

Please be careful getting APK files as they CAN HARM YOUR SYSTEM. Make sure you trust the source, etc.

Let us know if this process does not work.

lolchain

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site

Hey! sorry for my lack of information in my post, Ive already checked thosse settings in and when i go to my downloads "app". when i try and open up my APK file it says "please make sure the file is in SDcard". as N5 does not have a Sdcard it is not possible for me to transer my APK file there and then install it.

my phone before(xperia S) i had to use an APK installer to install APK files bacause the phone could not do that by itself for some reason, dont remember now if it was because it didnt find it or failed to install it, so guess thats what the program is for.

thank you for your reply. i hope i havent missed out on any more information that i tried but did not work.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Android devices set up a virtual "sd card" drive on internal storage, which is normally what that is referring to. The main "drive" is usually like 0/sdcard or something to that effect (it's late but I can double check)

Can you provide a source link to the APK download and information about it? It sounds like it may be expecting a different file type or source location.