Love This Phone

juststart

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
We received iPhones at work so I switched to an android. Sprint offered to switch me to a framily plan and do easy pay so I got a G2. Absolutely hated it so I bought the nexus 5 from Google Play with overnight shipping (was more like same day) and I absolutely love this phone.

The battery is OK but I'm not that active on it during work hours so it lasts me all day. I love stock android and for 350 bucks, this is actually a high end phone.

I'm disappointed about not having VVM but hardly anyone except my mom leaves voicemail for me so not a deal breaker.

Also, love the keyboard sounds! The space bar is a little jarring but it works great.

The FFC is low-res but gets the job done. The matte finish is a nice alternative to the slimy plastic most flagships have. I thought the red would be rubbery like the black but I actually like this. I would be worried about cuts to the rubbery finish on the black, honestly.

All in all, I'm really pleased with this phone. I thought I would want the new One or S5 but I'm really thinking I might just continue to use this phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Good to see another happy nexus 5 owner. I myself don't see the reason to ever get a newer device. 😜

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine a little more than a month and I love it. The camera is slow to focus but otherwise I have no issues, and I'm reading that there's a fix on the way for that. I have no issues with the battery, but that is subjective.... my last phone had horrible battery life so this is a huge improvement for me. I can come home with 40-50% after a work day where before I would be dead by 3pm if I didn't charge.

Best $400 I've spent.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is the type of device that you have to live with to realize how good it is. I love the M8, but I fear switching from the Nexus 5 because it works so damn well.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
An upside to the N5 is you have to intentionally try to hard brick it. Even then, it may still be recoverable.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is the type of device that you have to live with to realize how good it is.

Agreed. The Nexus 5 is not all about specs and glitter and useless features. It is just a solid, fast, wonderful device. When you actually USE it in the real world, then you realize how it is better than other flagship phones in most ways that really matter (reliability, speed, price, simplicity, control, flexibility, compatibility, updates, etc). It will never win in a marketing war or in glamor contests.

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
We received iPhones at work so I switched to an android. Sprint offered to switch me to a framily plan and do easy pay so I got a G2. Absolutely hated it so I bought the nexus 5 from Google Play with overnight shipping (was more like same day) and I absolutely love this phone.

The battery is OK but I'm not that active on it during work hours so it lasts me all day. I love stock android and for 350 bucks, this is actually a high end phone.

I'm disappointed about not having VVM but hardly anyone except my mom leaves voicemail for me so not a deal breaker.

Also, love the keyboard sounds! The space bar is a little jarring but it works great.

The FFC is low-res but gets the job done. The matte finish is a nice alternative to the slimy plastic most flagships have. I thought the red would be rubbery like the black but I actually like this. I would be worried about cuts to the rubbery finish on the black, honestly.

All in all, I'm really pleased with this phone. I thought I would want the new One or S5 but I'm really thinking I might just continue to use this phone.

I think they're both good phones. What didn't you like about the G2?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

juststart

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I didn't like the the UI of the G2 at all. I had some issues with signal strength being wonky. The rear button placement was fine at first but when I was trying to do something quick, years of instinct took over and tried to find buttons on the side. It also felt very slippery to me.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
The rear button placement was fine at first but when I was trying to do something quick, years of instinct took over and tried to find buttons on the side.

Exactly how I feel about the stupid side placement of the power button on the N5. Not only is it extremely unintuitive, I find it very difficult to activate without also pressing one of the volume buttons.... especially when it is in a case, which requires more button pressing force.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Exactly how I feel about the stupid side placement of the power button on the N5. Not only is it extremely unintuitive, I find it very difficult to activate without also pressing one of the volume buttons.... especially when it is in a case, which requires more button pressing force.

I am just getting used to not hitting the top right corner, as I'm coming from two HTC phones. Love the feel of the phone so have avoided a case to this point. That may change.

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

Paskell

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Glad you enjoy it as well I came from having I phones and gotta say I love android.. IOS is too locked down and not custom to your liking. Never going back

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
An upside to the N5 is you have to intentionally try to hard brick it. Even then, it may still be recoverable.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Agreed. You could really screw up flashing the bootloader, ROM and recovery: it would take just a few minutes to get it back to running just fine. Other than corrupting the EFS partition it's next to impossible to brick the device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

techydavid

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. You could really screw up flashing the bootloader, ROM and recovery: it would take just a few minutes to get it back to running just fine. Other than corrupting the EFS partition it's next to impossible to brick the device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What is the efs partition?

From mah shiny new Nexus 5

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What is the efs partition?

Your phone...

That gets messed up and the phone is toast.... it stores your International Mobile Station Equipment Identity or IMEI number... your phone's fingerprint.

Everyone should back up that sucker and store it somewhere safe... Google Drive, Drop Box, etc. I haven't seen too many phones get their EFS partition borked, but when they do, unless you have a backup made, the only place that phone goes is back to whomever made it (fussing with your IMEI is seriously bad legal karma)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084