Preferred carrier

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I am currently on the straight talk $45 plan. I am curious to see what the majority is using and why they have chosen the provider they have. Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
T-mobile because it is the cheapest out of the big 4...if money wasn't an issue I would probably choose AT&T... Was with then previously and loved the service but was expensive

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

ghostface147

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I got my dad on a nexus 5 on T-Mobile. It's his first smartphone and he is very content with it. Paired it with his car, showed him how to use the hotspot. Now he also uses Google Drive for his documents. Would be nice if they had T-Mobile's own VVM working, but not yet. I don't want to use a third party.

Put my mom on a Windows Phone and my brother is an iOS guy like me.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Apart from being the cheapest, I got it for Sprint for its Tri-Band capabilities. Paying $52 on a 5 line, unlimited plan.

imneveral0ne

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I got my dad on a nexus 5 on T-Mobile. It's his first smartphone and he is very content with it. Paired it with his car, showed him how to use the hotspot. Now he also uses Google Drive for his documents. Would be nice if they had T-Mobile's own VVM working, but not yet. I don't want to use a third party.

Put my mom on a Windows Phone and my brother is an iOS guy like me.

You can install t-mobile vvm separately.

Ted Turner1

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
$45/mo for AIO Wireless 2.5GB. Was on T-Mobile for $30/mo but wanted better LTE coverage and unlimited minutes without using a VOIP solution.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm on AT&T. I have tried every other carrier and there isn't one that I like more than AT&T. The coverage is great, the data speeds are amazing, and I never really have any issues when I call customer service (although, I rarely have to call them for anything).

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
AT&T family plan with 3GB individual cap. It's my mom's plan and she still wants to pay for me even though I'm almost through my undergrad. I'm not going to argue :p. Though I'm seriously considering jumping to T-Mobile's unlimited plan as I'm sick of my cap. I would be fine doing T-Mobile and then jumping to AIO when I need to travel and T-Mobile's coverage won't do the trick. Haven't decided though.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Its also a pretty loaded question.
My favorite might not have coverage where you are. I switched from Sprint to TMO a little over a year ago and for me TMO is rock solid.
This pic was taken this morning while i was in the drive thru at Burger King. mmmm crosandwiches.
2014-04-01 12.26.58.jpg

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
My favorite might not have coverage where you are. I switched from Sprint to TMO a little over a year ago and for me TMO is rock solid.
This pic was taken this morning while i was in the drive thru at Burger King. mmmm crosandwiches.
View attachment 110425
34.97 Mbps Download??? Whoa! That is a hell of a lot better than anything I've used. Thanks!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is my average T-Mobile speed around town.

Edit - FYI this is Jacksonville, FL.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1396383594168.jpg
    1396383594168.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Im in Dallas, TX.. One of the areas that is getting 20+20 or 2x20 LTE first.
While i have no doubt my speeds are attributed to their new LTE im not sure its 2x10 or 2x20
Basically 10+10 / 2x10 has a max speed of 75megs. 20+20 / 2x20 has a max speed of 150 megs.
This was taken from another forum.
"LTE has about 37.5 Mbps of capacity per 5 MHz FD channel (if you're talking about theoretical maximums like you do with H+), so 10x10 is 75 Mbps and 20x20 is 150. Now it's incredibly rare to see those kinds of speeds in practice because they require perfect RF conditions with no one else on the tower, but that's the theoretical capacity anyway...and that's why LTE is better than H+.

As for 20x20 being X times faster, it's hard to say. One disadvantage of wider channel sizes is that your phone is probably spreading the same output power over a wider bandwidth, decreasing outbound signal strength. This leads to a less-than-double performance gain in all-else-euqal non-ideal conditions.

However you also need to factor in that, above a certain speed, data usage doesn't really increase, and the speed you're getting is some function of the free capacity on the cell. So if you add 75 Mbps of capacity to a cell, with 45 Mbps of that readily available under normal circumstances, and people only use another 15 Mbps of capacity due to the faster speeds, you're looking at average speeds 30 Mbps faster than you were before!"
Faster T-Mobile LTE Arrives in Dallas | DSLReports, ISP Information
I for one am happy to get faster speeds but what makes me the happiest is as the system gets more crowded it will be able to keep up with the additional users and not get bogged down. Given the backhaul is in place at the tower, which so far it seems to be.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 5 is on Metro PCS for $35 a month ( family plan two phones $70) with unlimited everything. Only have a speed bump at 500MB each month for 4G LTE that drops to unlimited 3G speed. I have never hit that 500MB but if I Pay more get more data. Metro PCS uses T-Mobiles network towers and is always $10 less a month than T-Mobile.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 110425

This is my average T-Mobile speed around town.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Whoa. I knew T-Mobile's LTE was fast, but that is easily triple (almost quadruple) what I get with AT&T. The highest I have ever seen a Speedtest on LTE was 28 Mbps.

Edit - That includes big cities like Portland and Seattle and smaller cities with a much smaller population and stress on the network. I test with 5 bars and 1 bar multiple times when I visit a new town just to see what the network is like in that area. I wish I could get 60Mbps. Though I guess I would burn through my cap...

Last edited:

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 5 is on Metro PCS for $35 a month...
How did you place it on Metro PCS? I just looked and apparently its not compatible.

Update: just ordered the sim card. Hopefully it runs as fast as T-Mobile since they use their towers.

Last edited:

Isc73

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I had AT&T and now have T-Mo for obvious reasons. There was more coverage with att, but nothing worth paying almost double for. Speeds are identical on att. I've noticed that on just 4g (HSPA+) tmobile is a lot faster than att's. Highest I've gotten on att's network 60mbps 4g LTE, 13mbps 4g. T-Mo, 60 mbps LTE, 24mps 4g

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
How did you place it on Metro PCS? I just looked and apparently its not compatible.

Update: just ordered the sim card. Hopefully it runs as fast as T-Mobile since they use their towers.

I know that Metro PCS has a data base of compatible phones that has the Nexus 4 but not the Nexus 5 listed. They are just being lazy not adding the N5. My Nexus 5 is paid through Metro PCS since the day I got it last November 2013. T-Mobile sells and supports the Nexus 5. Per the link below;

More than 3.5 million or about 40 percent of MetroPCS customers have converted their devices to one that works over T-Mobile's network. About 25 percent of the spectrum that T-Mobile acquired as part of the MetroPCS acquisition has already been reused or re-farmed to be used for T-Mobile's 4G LTE deployment.

Metro PCS is just putting the Nexus 5 on T-Mobile's GSM Network as they migrate everyone from Metro PCS's CDMA to T-Mobile GSM phones. . T-Mobile hopes to shut down all of Metro PCS old CDMA towers in three major markets in 2014 and covert to GSM plus change the LTE to the new 700Mhz A block spectrum that TM got from Verizon for $2.3B.

T-Mobile to shut off MetroPCS network in three cities in 2014

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2