Getting a Nexus 5 how can I transfer my data from my tablet?

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I am getting a Nexus 5 phone through T-Mobile and I wonder if it is possible to transfer my app data to the phone. I have my Nexus 7 tablet customized with folders, widgets and a bunch of apps. I know Apple has iCloud that let's you transfer from device to device but I can't find out if Google does the same.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So do you want to have the same apps and the same layout on your Nexus 5? I don't think you'll find a way to transfer that accurately, because the size difference between the Nexus 5 and 7 will cause problems with the layout.

When you get your Nexus 5, just log in with the same Google account as you did with your Nexus 7. You will then be able to install any app on your N5 that you had installed on your N7 (assuming it's compatible). The specific data associated with the apps on your tablet might be accessible on the phone if it's primarily cloud-related. It's never entirely clear exactly what app data is backed up to Google (in the Settings>Backup menu), but you might find that installing certain apps on your Nexus 5 will automatically restore some of that data.

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I have 3 android devices...all recognized by Playstore.
I have over 50 apps registered on Playstore.
When I added my 2nd device, and 3rd device (Nexus5), Playstore loaded all my apps from the 1st device automatically.
I believe it also loaded settings for many of the apps.
All 3 devices have the same Gmail account.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Currently, the only way you can get your home screen layout (app icons/folders etc), would be to use a custom launcher, and back up the launcher settings for use on the other device.
For app data, you can use Helium (or Titanium backup if you are rooted). Since you are dealing with two different devices (phone/tablet), I'd recommend not backing up the app itself, but just the app data. Download the app from the play store, and restore the app data if needed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz