Water damaged my Note 3... Should I get a Nexus 5?

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So, I got pushed in a pool with my Note 3 and fixed it for a moment but now my screen is just black. It would be $200 to fix the LCD screen but I'm a bit wary of using a water damaged phone in the long-run.

Someone on Craigslist is going to sell me his Nexus 5 for $250 which is a great deal. Should I hop on this deal? Or pay the $200 to fix my Note 3 screen and use that instead?

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
In the end it's up to you, if you would like you could purchase the Nexus 5 and then possibly sell the Note 3 on ebay or somewhere similar as broken, for parts. Someone out there will probably buy the broken phone for about half the cost of your repair, making the Nexus ~$150. Just my 2 cents but as I said, in the end it's your call. Also be sure you can test the nexus 5 and make sure it works properly before buying, even if the test is right in front of the seller. Good luck!

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I would personally get anything, just as long as it isn't water damaged. The Nexus you speak of is a great choice. Just make sure its not water damaged too.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
As other said, the decision is yours. Just keep in mind that the Nexus 5 is very different from the Note 3. It is much smaller, has no pen input, has a non-removable battery, has less storage options because there is no SD card, 1/3 less memory, a very different type of display (LCD vs. OLED), and a considerably smaller battery.

But in the real world, it should feel faster (and *is* a faster CPU), has a great display, is far less "gimmicky" (runs plain Android), is much less expensive, is lighter and more compact, has built-in wireless charging, will get more and faster updates, and works very well.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't trust a water logged phone. I'd go for the Nexus - better phone overall IMO but Craigslist is iffy. Before you hand him the money, make him sign the warranty to you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Got a Nexus 5 for $250 with the box and a case. He met me at a T-Mobile store and I got it all activated and set up.

Pretty good deal considering it retails at $349!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Go for the Nexus 5. Definitely.
Make sure it's a guy.
Arrange to meet at a store, T-Mobile specifically.
Make sure it's in a box.
Pay exactly $250.00.
Detour away from swimming pools on the way home.

I just want to say, we're all counting you. We know you can do it. Good luck. :)

("Leslie Nielsen - "Airplane" )

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Last edited:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
That is a heck of a deal.. I had looked on craigslist to get my wife one and most people in my area want retail price or a little more for their Nexus 5's.... Even used they are still asking $349 or $399 and just use the "Minus tax and shipping" so you save a little but not a great deal...

Good luck with the phone.. I love mine... Great device.....

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That is a heck of a deal.. I had looked on craigslist to get my wife one and most people in my area want retail price or a little more for their Nexus 5's.... Even used they are still asking $349 or $399 and just use the "Minus tax and shipping" so you save a little but not a great deal...

Good luck with the phone.. I love mine... Great device.....

Yeah I can't believe how good a deal it was. The guy was very nice and said he even rooted it. Sounded like he sold cell phones for a living (he was extremely knowledgeable and we started talking about this forum and XDA haha)

$250 for mint condition Nexus 5 with a case and original box is a STEAL. Sure makes me feel better about my water damaged Note 3... of which someone has offered me $225 for. I may jump on that.

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I can't believe how good a deal it was. The guy was very nice and said he even rooted it. Sounded like he sold cell phones for a living (he was extremely knowledgeable and we started talking about this forum and XDA haha)

$250 for mint condition Nexus 5 with a case and original box is a STEAL. Sure makes me feel better about my water damaged Note 3... of which someone has offered me $225 for. I may jump on that.

I would jump on that in a heartbeat! Allowing you a new(to you) and working phone for just $25 seems like a no brainer to me. Glad it seems like things have worked out and your situation is not so bad anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Might be a steal, but could be a stole?

Ha yeah I thought so at first. He gave me the IMEI and told me he'd meet me at a T-Mobile store of my choice where the store rep made sure everything was clear. Turns out he just really needed the cash and was listing it at $280-$300 but kept getting offers at $250 or lower and was ready to just sell to the first serious buyer

Lucky me

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Ha yeah I thought so at first. He gave me the IMEI and told me he'd meet me at a T-Mobile store of my choice where the store rep made sure everything was clear. Turns out he just really needed the cash and was listing it at $280-$300 but kept getting offers at $250 or lower and was ready to just sell to the first serious buyer

Yeah, it is amazing how ghetto most people seem to be on Craigslist.... offering stupid prices, wanting to "trade" when you say "sell", wanting to pay with a personal check when you clearly say "cash only", wanting you to deliver something to them when you say "buyer responsible for transport". It can be quite draining. Congrats on the great (and legit) purchase!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it is amazing how ghetto most people seem to be on Craigslist.... offering stupid prices, wanting to "trade" when you say "sell", wanting to pay with a personal check when you clearly say "cash only", wanting you to deliver something to them when you say "buyer responsible for transport". It can be quite draining. Congrats on the great (and legit) purchase!

I don't do Craigslist anymore. Not because I have had bad experiences. I actually have had good experiences, but the potential of things being problematic makes it not worth it. Also, I don't like the haggling. That's not something that happens on eBay, although eBay has its issues too. I have started selling my phones on Swappa and that has been the best option for me.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I freakin love Craigslist haha

Haggled over e-mail and phone and get the deal finalized BEFORE you meet in person. And when you meet in person, ALWAYS pick a public place. If it's cell phones, obviously always do the carrier. If they're reluctant to meet you at the carrier, you know something's up. For other things, I'd say Starbucks. Somewhere you can go inside and there are always people around both outside and inside. NEVER have them come to your place or you to theirs (unless it's big furniture, then bring a friend or 2). Also, NEVER approach their car or have them approach you in your car. Always go to the public spot, sit down and have them meet you there.

I've gotten some tremendous deals on Craigslist. I can see why some are skeptical or scared of using it though. I love it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21