Textra

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello Android world!

I was wondering about what everyone thought of textra? I really like hangouts. I know a lot of people will disagree but I really like the way it looks and feels. However, I was wondering about textra and WiFi. Will textra send SMS over WiFi? So for example, my apartment has pretty poor reception, I'm lucky if I get a single bar in certain areas. So I am looking for a solution to send and receive text via SMS to other mobile OS devices, iPhone Android BB. But I do not want to have to ask the other users to use a different app to ensure that I get their messages. Will textra do this? Or is it just MMS that will work over Wi-Fi?

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I like Textra. I'm a light texter so probably have limited experience with it compared to most, but it works for me. It's got enough customizabililty to keep me from getting bored with it lol

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
As long as it is an activated device and you are using WIFI, it will send flawlessly. Sorry for being so vague.

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
FYI, I just tested it by putting my phone on airplane mode and turning on Wi-Fi... It will not send the message until I turn on cell data..

Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
As long as it is an activated device and you are using WIFI, it will send flawlessly. Sorry for being so vague.
Do you need to sign up for service to send texts through wifi/mobile data? I thought that's the only way texts get sent with data, otherwise it's cellular.

FYI, I just tested it by putting my phone on airplane mode and turning on Wi-Fi... It will not send the message until I turn on cell data..

Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)
I pretty sure you need to have a service to send texts over a data network. Most third party messaging apps have a service you can sign up for and the messages go through their servers. I could be wrong though.

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I know, just verifying for the above posters who thought textra may allow it over Wi-Fi.

Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you need to sign up for service to send texts through wifi/mobile data? I thought that's the only way texts get sent with data, otherwise it's cellular.

I pretty sure you need to have a service to send texts over a data network. Most third party messaging apps have a service you can sign up for and the messages go through their servers. I could be wrong though.

You're right. T-Mobile's wifi calling is the only thing I know that allows carrier messages through wifi.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You're right. T-Mobile's wifi calling is the only thing I know that allows carrier messages through wifi.

I didn't even know that T-Mobile offered that. Good to know.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
So I guess I'm out of luck if my apartment has horrible coverage. I thought there would be a way of a this party app running strictly via WiFi

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So I guess I'm out of luck if my apartment has horrible coverage. I thought there would be a way of a this party app running strictly via WiFi

Sadly no.. Not for carrier text messages as they need the carrier is some sort of fashion.

Only 3rd party apps that replace carrier texts (like Whatsapp) would do that.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I liked the default messaging app, and Textra is simple enough that it mimics that just fine, with tons of optional extra features if you want them. I recommend it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid