Nexus 5: Buying advice

Zac_AUS

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I would like some advice on buying a nexus 5 or a Blackberry Q10 (I know the comments might contain bias but would like a balanced opinion).

The questions I have are:

1. How good is the battery life and build quality on the nexus 5? (considering that the 4.4.3 update is to arrive soon)

2. On the nexus 5 does the apps run smoothly? One of the my main concerns about going to Android are the apps not working or not working properly

3. Benefits of having an android over an Blackberry phone?

4. How secure and stable is the OS?

5. Any good apps for the nexus 5 (free and paid)? Security, games etc. (Links if possible please)

6. How is the screen? Is it too large?

6. Is the Nexus 5 not having a removable battery and expandable memory a problem?

7. What accessories would you recommend? I would get a Nexus 5 Case Neo Hybrid (https://www.spigen.com/brands/google/nexus-5/nexus-5-case-neo-hybrid.html). Anything else?

8. How do you manage your phone? Transferring music? Backing up? Etc

9. How is your Nexus 5 experience? Was it difficult at the beginning but afterwards became better?

10. I'm considering getting an Nexus 5 as Google makes it but should I look at other phones? Like Samsung?

11. Is the stock keyboard good at predictive text or is there an app that is better?

12. Any resources that people would recommend?

Sorry if it is a bit long.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Buying advice

Hello everyone,

I would like some advice on buying a nexus 5 or a Blackberry Q10 (I know the comments might contain bias but would like a balanced opinion).

The questions I have are:

1. How good is the battery life and build quality on the nexus 5? (considering that the 4.4.3 update is to arrive soon)

2. On the nexus 5 does the apps run smoothly? One of the my main concerns about going to Android are the apps not working or not working properly

3. Benefits of having an android over an Blackberry phone?

5. Any good apps for the nexus 5 (free and paid)? Security, games etc. (Links if possible please)

6. Is the Nexus 5 not having a removable battery and expandable memory a problem?

7. What accessories would you recommend? I would get a Nexus 5 Case Neo Hybrid (https://www.spigen.com/brands/google/nexus-5/nexus-5-case-neo-hybrid.html). Anything else?

9. How is your Nexus 5 experience? Was it difficult at the beginning but afterwards became better?

10. I'm considering getting an Nexus 5 as Google makes it but should I look at other phones? Like Samsung?

11. Is the stock keyboard good at predictive text or is there an app that is better?

Sorry if it is a bit long.

Thank you

1. Battery is ok, it can be better, but it isn't that horrible!. The Built quality is one of the best I'v seen on a phone, I LOVE the rubbery feeling back, its very good.

2. The apps run very smooth.. smoothest andriod experience guaranteed. (especially on the Nexus phone line...) & very fast, NO LAG.

3. For one thing, blackberry is falling behind big time. Android (Nexus) is very user friendly and probably the best andriod preforming phone there is. I think Android beats blackberry in almost every category, Apps, support, customization & more.. Best of all Google!

4. The OS is very stable and secure. Just don't go crazy downloading too many apps from unknown sources (not on Google play store).

5. Too many to list, there is a huge app store (Google Play Store) it depends on what you like or want.

6. I think the screen is the perfect size for a phone honestly, Its not big to me... its just right. Almost everyone falls in love with this phone. ( I switched from my Galaxy S4 and I love it)

7. I have the same case on its way as we speak, it will be here Monday!. The case is the only accessory iv really looked into.

8. I use the "Play Music App" to manage my music its a Google service. You can put up to 20,000 songs on their servers that go straight to your "Play Music App" like a MP3 player. (Uses no phone storage) (music is streamed "uses data"). I have the play music app, music manager which uploaded any new music i put into my iTunes or you can put it manually (its very easy).

9. So far so good, I'v had my phone for 2 weeks now & I love it. I wont be switching phones for a while. This phone is very easy to understand and use, also very fun to use.

10. The Nexus 5 is "Manufactured by LG" BUT!!! Google makes all the Calls on the Nexus. LG just puts it together by what Google tells them.(Only Android phone that has this type of convenience). I think the only reason this is, is because Google doesn't manufacturer phones so they make someone else put it together for them. Google does control the phone and Google did design it and all.

Samsung and HTC and most of the other phones manufactures put their own flavor to their andriod OS & bloatware (worthless junk apps) which sometimes cannot be uninstalled. My S4 was a bit laggy compared to my Nexus. Nexus is pure andriod. Nexus also gets the OS updates first, since Nexus is updated straight from Google themselves!.

11. So far so good, if you'd like you play around and download other ones your more then welcomed.

Shocktribe

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Buying advice

I have been an avid blackberry fan in the past, owning a handful. My last black berry was a 9310 because my bb 9850 broke (Digitizer).

I love the nexus 5 confident l considerably more. I also have a playbook... Which I don't use anymore except for storage

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I have a Nexus 5, and don't have any direct experience with Blackberry 10. But if you're interested in Android, you can't go wrong with the Nexus 5.

Battery life is average, and probably the only weak point. I typically get through a whole day with moderate use, and end up with about 40% battery left. Keep in mind that the total screen-on time for a single charge will be 3-4 hrs depending on use. Other phones with bigger batteries (like the LG G2 or Samsung Galaxy Note series) will give you significantly more battery life.

Build quality is excellent. The only complaints I've seen are about a loose-feeling power button that rattles, on earlier builds. Mine does not have this problem.

2. On the nexus 5 does the apps run smoothly?

Smooth like butter. The performance is superb. Coming from a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, this improvement knocked my socks off.

I have found KitKat 4.4.2 to be extremely stable. I've owned the phone for about 4 months and have never experienced a random reboot.

The screen is beautiful--very sharp images, and the color reproduction is not over-vivid (which I think other devices tend to shoot for). I have average-to-long fingers, and the screen is almost too big for my hands--but not quite.

Most people hold onto their phones for an average of 2-3 years. With regular usage, a typical battery will start to have a noticeable decrease in charge after about 2 yrs or so. So the actual lifespan of a typical cellphone battery tends to track with how long people usually own them before wanting to upgrade. So I don't think the removable battery is a problem.

The lack of external SD is primarily an issue if you like to store a lot of media files (music, photos, videos) locally instead of in the cloud. You wouldn't be able to install apps onto the SD on a Nexus 5 anyway. I would recommend getting a 32 GB Nexus 5 instead of a 16 GB, if storage is a concern.

7. What accessories would you recommend? I would get a Nexus 5 Case Neo Hybrid (https://www.spigen.com/brands/google...eo-hybrid.html). Anything else?

Definitely get a wireless charger. I thought at first it would be kind of superfluous, but the utter convenience of just laying the phone on the charger at night has made me into a believer. I have the Zens charger: ZENS Wireless Single Charger - Android Wireless Charging - ShopAndroid

This is my case (in brown): Amazon.com: Caseology LG Google Nexus 5 [Vintage Hybrid Series] - Premium Distressed Leather Shock Absorbent TPU Bumper Case (Black) [Made in Korea] (for Sprint, T-mobile, Unlocked): Cell Phones & Accessories

I've drunk the Google Kool-aid (Oh Yeah!) and use Google Play Music. It's really convenient, and the player itself is quite good.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...i-intro-homescreens-settings.html#post3298515
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...stalling-apps-managing-media.html#post3400938
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...-android-2014-part-iii-managing-contacts.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool