Nexus 5: Lose Connection with T-Mobile service

Viventis

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Three times in the last week, my phone has shown no connection to the T-Mobile network. I am required to turn off the phone, then re-start it to get a signal again. Once was down town, where I get 5 bars. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Lose Connection with T-Mobile service

I would go into your local carrrier and ask them why. Maybe some work on local towers has taken place or somehting to that effect. If not, let us know what they say.

Viventis

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

I can understand the possibility of T-Mobile doing something to briefly cause my connection to drop. But, shouldn't the N5 automatically reconnect when the network is available? Does the Nexus 5 only search for a network when it powers on (or manually search for networks in the settings)?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

T-Mobile is doing a lot of Tower work Nation wide converting to the new faster 4G LTE network as they migrating customers from the Metro-PCS's CDMA towers they will be converting to GSM. Also, T-Moble is adding the new 700Mhz bands they acquired from Verizon that will penetrate building better and add extra distances to their current towers using the lower 700Mhz bands. I was on T - Mobile's investor meeting and they showed all the work they are doing on that investor call.

I am on Metro PCS with my Nexus so I am already using T-Mobile towers. This is the best part from the story below that could be what you are starting to see in your area;

4G LTE expansion
T-Mobile also provided an update on the company's 4G LTE network during the conference call. The company said that it will expand coverage of its 4G LTE network from about 225 million potential customers today to more than 250 million people by the end of the year. T-Mobile has also deployed LTE in 10MHz x 10MHz channels in 43 of the top 50 markets. And it's also begun deploying even higher capacity spectrum channels, including a 20MHz x 20MHz channel in Dallas. This added capacity on LTE can provide average download speeds between 20Mbps to 30Mbps, according to CEO John Legere.

T-Mobile will begin seeding the market with devices that use the low-band 700MHz spectrum that T-Mobile acquired as part of a $3.3 billion deal with Verizon Wireless later this year. And the spectrum will be put into use for 4G LTE services next year.

T-Mobile to shut off MetroPCS network in three cities in 2014

Last edited:

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Good to hear that. I was going crazy looking for that setting. LOL

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Under Settings > Mobile Network Settings > Carrier Settings on sprint. If not there, then you may not need them.