Recommend me your favorite DNS changer app.

anon(8538034)

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone around here using any DNS changer app for their Nexus 5? If so, can you recommend one for me?
Been searching for this kind of app, but I wasn't really sure.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Did you need it for your home network or?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

anon(8538034)

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Well yes but I meant for what network are you trying to change DNS on.. Home wifi? Mobile data?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Both of them actually. Mostly for the mobile data, I'm living in Indonesia and the network connection here sucks.

From my Nexus 5

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Both of them actually. Mostly for the mobile data, I'm living in Indonesia and the network connection here sucks.

From my Nexus 5

Changing your DNS is not going to help with your slow network connection. All data traffic will still use the same network; the only difference is that domain lookups (for example, the current IP address of The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia is 170.149.172.130) will no longer use your network's default domain name server. While this may result in a small (very small) overall improvement, the bulk of your traffic (99.99%) will not be affected in any way, shape or form.

Having said that, a simple search at play.google.com turns up several DNS change apps, many of them highly rated. Why not just try a few and be done with it?

anon(8538034)

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Changing your DNS is not going to help with your slow network connection. All data traffic will still use the same network; the only difference is that domain lookups (for example, the current IP address of The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia is 170.149.172.130) will no longer use your network's default domain name server. While this may result in a small (very small) overall improvement, the bulk of your traffic (99.99%) will not be affected in any way, shape or form.

Having said that, a simple search at play.google.com turns up several DNS change apps, many of them highly rated. Why not just try a few and be done with it?

Actually I have done searching in Play Store, and using some of them. And yes, the Google DNS helps me a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

MaxChinni

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
If you are using KitKat on a Nexus 5 probably all the free apps in the Play Store don't do anything to your mobile network's DNS.
There's currently only one app which is able to change DNS for Android 4.4 and it's called "Override DNS for KitKat" (I'm the author of that piece of software).

Hope it helps.

Bye

MaxChinni

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't think so (at least for now). There are 2 things to clarify before giving a definitive answer:
  1. Does the Fire TV run a 4.4-like Android?
  2. Is the Fire TV connected with Wi-Fi or with an ethernet cable?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781