Attempting to replace my own screen

Jason_Jarmo

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Had my screen crack while it was in my front pocket recently, nothing weird happened while it was in there. Suspecting that I must have dropped it prior to then, and just the pressure on the screen cracked it. Who knows! Anyway, I'm looking to replace my own screen. I used to replace laptop screens, so I suspect this shouldn't be too difficult if I follow some video tutorial. Just curious when looking at the parts if there is any reason why I would need anything more than just the $90 'OEM LG Nexus 5 D820 LCD Screen and Digitizer Assembly - Black - Without Any Logo'. Just not familiar with the parts!

AndroidProf

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Depoending on your phone, It might be a solder in screen, a glue in or just a fitting screen. But most of the screens are fitted in, so its an easy thing you only need the screen, a screw driver and a special tape like used for holding the touch screen into position....then you are good to go. You might also need to change your touchpad.

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Check out the site ifixit. They have a step by step tear down and explanation of tools needed. They usually explain how easy it is to replace parts as well. From what I recall the Nexus 5 screen won't be a breeze, but can be done. Good luck!

Nexus 5 4.4.2 (rooted)

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 and a Nexus 4, and I just did this with the Nexus 4 a few weeks ago. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't super-difficult as long as you do your research and go SLOW.

The difference between the part you are looking at and the more expensive parts on that page is the exclusion of the front housing. The part you selected is just the LCD and digitizer. You are correct in that this is really all you need, and with some patience you can pry the broken screen off of the original housing and place this new screen in. This will require a heat source to soften the existing glue and then some very thin two-sided tape to adhere the new screen in place.

If you don't have any tools, this is what you will need:
Amazon.com: Tool Repair Kit Precision Screw Driver Set Torx + Flat Head + Safe Plying Prying Pry Tool for Motorola Verizon Sprint ATT Cingular Razor and More: Home Improvement
and
Amazon.com: 2Mm 3M Adhesive Sticker Tape LCD Screen/ Digitizer Sticker For HTC 4G Evo Supersonic, Incredible, HD2 T8585, Desire, Hero, Legend, Diamond 2: Cell Phones & Accessories

I did a Google search of Nexus 5 screen replacements, and most of them assume you have the more expensive assembly + housing. Here is part 1 of a great two part video that applies to those who just have the assembly:
Nexus 5 Screen Replacement Part 1 - YouTube

From experience, the most important things to remember:
1) don't lose any screws
2) take the broken screen removal nice and slow
3) make sure to scrape off every last tiny piece of old glue before applying the tape

Enjoy! I think you will find the process easy enough, and when you are done and have a working screen, you'll agree that it was worth the extra effort to save $100 compared to buying the entire housing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad