Update

Soham26

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Do I need to install any app or something else to update 4.4.3 or it will be directly installed from settings> system updates when it rolls out?

Posted via Android Central App

Rob Grieve

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
It will come as an OTA update when it arrives. It will be in the settings you won't need any app or anything, you will probably get a notification telling you to install it.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Soham26

There is nothing you or anyone can do but to wait for the OTA update. As I told you in your last thread Google does this slowly in small batches to check for new bugs in the roll out. Kit Kat 4.4.1 started rolling out to the first 1% and then after 48 hours another group 4.4.1 batch was rolled out. After 72 hours that 4.4.1 update rolled out was stopped dead after issues were found and replaced by the current 4.4.2 update. There were people here that should have been on suicide watch after 5 days from the time people started getting 4.4.1 since all OTA stopped. Then people started reporting 4.4.2 updates they were getting and everyone stuck on 4.4.1 were freaking out going on suicide watch.

My 2012 Nexus 7 tablet got 4.4.2 before my new Nexus 5 got any update. Since you will be selected at random when your devices checks in daily for updates it is like waiting in line. One day you will wake up and see a message asking permission for you to install 4.4.3 and all you have to do is accept the upgrade. It is as simple as that.

Don't be upset when you see that lots of people are downloading the update from outside Google by passing the OTA process and side-loading the 4.4.3 update. You have to root your phone to Side-Load 4.4.3 update and it does take some expertise since you will see a bunch of people that tried to side load the update will end up bricking their phone and begging for help.

When we got the Nexus devices we volunteered to be the front line that is both good and bad sometimes.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The release of 4.4.3 is still a rumour,it might just be a Sprint update today. When it does start rolling out there is a trick to get it earlier. Go into settings and then under apps goto Google Services Framework. Do a force stop and clear the cache. The goto About Phone/System Updates and do a Check Now. Sometime you have to do this several times but it does seem to the update sooner assuming it's available.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Don't be upset when you see that lots of people are downloading the update from outside Google by passing the OTA process and side-loading the 4.4.3 update. You have to root your phone to Side-Load 4.4.3 update and it does take some expertise since you will see a bunch of people that tried to side load the update will end up bricking their phone and begging for help.

You don't need root or custom recovery to sideload the update using ADB. (you do need to have Android SDK installed to have ADB on your computer of course)

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
The release of 4.4.3 is still a rumour,it might just be a Sprint update today.

This is incorrect. There is no such thing as a Sprint update. Sprint cannot update a Nexus device. They don't have the legal right nor the technical/physical means to release it. All N5s are identical and will all get the same update in the same rollout period. If Sprint makes an update announcement for the Nexus 5 then that means the next version number will be rolled out to everyone. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
A Google engineer has actually gone on record saying that clearing the Google Services Framework cache can cause problems, so exercise caution.

Google Engineer Dan Morrill Sheds Some Light On The Nexus OTA Process, Urges You To Never Clear Google Service Framework Data

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
and I think most of us who have cleared their framework... knows this article is Hogwash, the guy who wrote the article mentions needing a factory reset in some cases...absolutely ridiculous!

The engineer claims your phone only checks in once every 24 hours, thats wrong as well, my N5 checks way more than that...and I have done the Framework clear after checking for an update and it has immediately worked. Between my GN, N4 N5 and N7 its worked with numerous updates at least 10 times. Only once have I ever had to sign out and sign back in to my Google account.

I would like to see that inaccurate article just disappear, it's full of inaccuracies.

and no disrespect to you Diddy, you are just quoting a post, but if you have ever cleared your framework, you would know that its harmless. Unless signing out and signing back in to your play store account is a problem...Google loses its tracking of your device for a while...I think thats what their problem is and why they recommend against it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, you can certainly do what you want. I'm just putting this out there, and the guy is a Google/Android engineer, so I highly doubt that it is full of inaccuracies. He does mention (in regard to clearing the Google Services Framework), "Nothing bursts into flames, but it makes a ton of nuisances on the device, including some that can look pretty mysterious. Your mileage will vary depending on what apps you use."

ambermck21

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Well I have to agree with Diddy, and I'm not saying that I am completely sure about anything, but today I cleared the data and cache in google services framework because I was having problems downloading apps so I took advice from someone on this site and now my play store app won't even show anything. It says there's no connection and that's it. Also, certain programs and things in my phone keep randomly force closing like the Drive, Google play, Google+, and others I can't remember off the top of my head. So can anyone help me fix this? It's actually my fiances phone and I will get in **** ton trouble. . Help?!?!?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and d'oh! Try going to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account], tap Menu, and Remove Account. Then go through the process of adding the account back again. Obviously, you'll need to know the password for the account to add it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance