Why doesn't the Nexus 5 work on Verizon?

SoCalBIGmike

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Is that really true? Half? You'd think they would be better stocked to up sell accessories and the like if that's the case. Its pathetic how VZW retail stores operate (w/ the exception of the pilot Smart Stores).

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
AT&T gives you a $15 a month discount if you bring your own device which pays for the N5 over a two year period and you aren't locked into a contract. I'm using AT&T because I need their coverage, T-Mobile has terrible coverage in my area. Not having a contract gives you the freedom to switch to a different carrier or plan whenever you want to.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
AT&T gives you a $15 a month discount if you bring your own device which pays for the N5 over a two year period and you aren't locked into a contract. I'm using AT&T because I need their coverage, T-Mobile has terrible coverage in my area. Not having a contract gives you the freedom to switch to a different carrier or plan whenever you want to.

Verizon gives you up to $25 discount when you byod, same as att. So the discount would pay for an m8 or s5

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
No real point imo, because att can't sell it at $350 and make a profit. People will complain about how come att pricing is higher just like they are doing with tmobile Nexus 5 now. There won't be enough people to buy it from att at the higher price to make it worthwhile, imo.

Plus the nexus 5 is a niche phone. Even if Verizon sold it, it won't help them gain more customers substantially. Put it this way, it took years for verizon to take the iPhone and that outsells the nexus by many fold.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I understand your point about buying the N5 cheaper at $350 from the Play Store. If they got it from T-Mobile they get the Nexus 5 for $0 up front with a 24 monthly contact (total $396 for 16GB). That is only $46 more than Google Play store. T-Mobile doesn't require 2 year locked in contracts like AT&T's model so they would subsidize the Nexus 5 just like the do all their other phones that is hidden fee in your monthly service charge. IMHO, the only reason AT&T doesn't carry the Nexus 5 is few people of the mainstream public even know what a Nexus device is? Since it has little name recognition outside our teckie circles. When I am at a bar people ask me about my phone and when I say Nexus 5 there next question is "Who makes that?". Then the next question is "where do you buy that" since they don't see them in brick and mortar stores. AT&T just doesn't see the Nexus 5 selling a lot of phones and AT&T like Verizon HATE Unlocked phones that prevents them from doing their 2 year contract scam they they have been doing for decades.

What is even more frustrating to people is even if they have a Android phone that has the Play Store App you can't see the Nexus devices via the phone App. The only way to see the Nexus devices is to come into the Play Store via a browser. Google would increase Nexus sales a ton if they would just put the Devices into the phone's Play Store App.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Google would increase Nexus sales a ton if they would just put the Devices into the phone's Play Store App.

I doubt it would make a difference. The amount of people who buy phones from Google Play is probably small to begin with (I'd say most buy through the carrier).... and I am not sure if anyone has done any studies, but I'd make a guess that people tend not to make big purchases via mobile devices. Some do... but most probably opt to look on a desktop browser to get big ticket items.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it would make a difference. The amount of people who buy phones from Google Play is probably small to begin with (I'd say most buy through the carrier).... and I am not sure if anyone has done any studies, but I'd make a guess that people tend not to make big purchases via mobile devices. Some do... but most probably opt to look on a desktop browser to get big ticket items.

Well it was just my opinion. The two people I talked into a N5 both tried over and over to find the way to buy the N5 through the App on their phone. I even warned them they could only find the Devices in the Play Store if they used the Browser to get to the Play Store. One got so frustrated that she when to Sprint and paid $100 more for the 16 GB version since she couldn't find the devices on Google. I didn't want to tell her that she could have got the 32GB version from the Play Store for $50 less.

As stupid as it sounds a lot of people today are so technologically challenged they can't find the Play Store from the Google Search page. If Google had a store on Ebay or Amazon for just the extra cost of paying Amazon they would have a lot more people buying Nexus 5 on-line.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
As stupid as it sounds a lot of people today are so technologically challenged they can't find the Play Store from the Google Search page.

Sad thing is that you are 100% correct. It's an maddening paradox.... Almost daily, we see technological discoveries that move humanity forward, and it seems like the VAST majority of the population is either too stupid to understand or too lazy to bother learning (even more infuriating is that the latter seems to be much greater in numbers).

And the irony is that what does technology do? Work hard to enable them.

But that is a different topic....

To sum up... the Nexus 5 doesn't work on Verizon Wireless because Verizon Wireless sucks.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus line is more for us geeks and nerds. People that like to tinker with "advanced settings" and root.

That's true. The Nexus line does tend to cater to anyone who wants to unlock their boot loader, install custom software, and things like that. Average consumers aren't into those things.

Since LG makes both the Nexus 5 and the G2, perhaps the G2 would be a better fit for people on Verizon. Even Android Central recommends the G2:

Android Central -- Why I'd still tell anyone who listens to buy an LG G2 today (link)

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Verizon customers, would you prefer to have a Nexus phone under Verizon's control or no Nexus at all? If you want a Verizon Nexus, what are you willing to compromise?

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Verizon customers, would you prefer to have a Nexus phone under Verizon's control or no Nexus at all? If you want a Verizon Nexus, what are you willing to compromise?

As a former Verizon Galaxy Nexus owner who now has a Nexus 5 and uses AT&T off-contract, I can say that giving Verizon control of the device and software and updates RUINS the Nexus experience.

Posted via Android Central App

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
As a former Verizon Galaxy Nexus owner who now has a Nexus 5 and uses AT&T off-contract, I can say that giving Verizon control of the device and software and updates RUINS the Nexus experience.

For some people, Verizon is their only choice for a cell phone provider because they can't get a good signal from anyone else. So, let's say you had to use Verizon. Would you use a Verizon-controlled Nexus 5 or choose something else from Verizon's lineup (like a Moto X, Droid Maxx, or G2)?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For some people, Verizon is their only choice for a cell phone provider because they can't get a good signal from anyone else. So, let's say you had to use Verizon. Would you use a Verizon-controlled Nexus 5 or choose something else from Verizon's lineup (like a Moto X, Droid Maxx, or G2)?

I'm not on Verizon and don't have a Nexus 5 but if I had to choose I'd go with something else..

Main reason is because most get the Nexus 5 so it's stock Android without the carriers touching it... If a carrier is allowed to do whatever to it... It's then like any other phone so I'd nab something else.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not on Verizon and don't have a Nexus 5 but if I had to choose I'd go with something else..

That's certainly a reasonable decision, and it does line up with Verizon's current philosophy. Verizon customers may not need a Nexus phone because there are a lot of alternatives available right now.

Still, if I were a Verizon customer, I think I might try a Verizon-controlled Nexus. It's very likely that such a device won't be good as a regular Nexus, but it's probably better than nothing. Google is making an effort to put most of the features consumers want as stand-alone apps in the Play store, so they won't be subject to carrier delays. I think this is a good strategy, and it may lead to a Nexus phone on Verizon... just maybe not this year. The important thing to remember is that Google doesn't have to win every battle to win the war.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Actually I believe the plan at Google is to drop the Nexus phone line when they have all of the Android elements on the play store and stick to the tablet form factor for the Nexus Experience. This is a guess but a some what informed one.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Actually I believe the plan at Google is to drop the Nexus phone line when they have all of the Android elements on the play store and stick to the tablet form factor for the Nexus Experience. This is a guess but a some what informed one.

I've always heard that Google is waiting for Verizon to use the voice-over-LTE (VoLTE) standard on its network. I don't completely understand it, but I believe it would mean Verizon would be running everything off of LTE and dropping CDMA (or just using CDMA for lower-end devices, like prepaid flip phones). In theory, people could just stick a VoLTE SIM card into a Nexus phone and get voice, text, and data.

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
What would it take for a Nexus phone to have the same leverage as the iPhone on Verizon?

It would take for people beyond the readers of this site (or similar sites) to even know what a Nexus phone is. The average consumer doesn't know what a Nexus phone is nor do they care. To some Samsung or HTC IS Android.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Informed implies real information. Do you have some to present to us? I would be curious to hear something more about this than just what the various blogs have said about it based on unsubstantiated rumors and "reports".

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It would take for people beyond the readers of this site (or similar sites) to even know what a Nexus phone is. The average consumer doesn't know what a Nexus phone is nor do they care. To some Samsung or HTC IS Android.

Do you think Google should do more promotion of the Nexus 5 to average consumers?

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't see how it could hurt.

Then it begs the question: Why doesn't Google promote the Nexus 5 more, especially to average consumers? I'm keep hearing that Google is a leader in marketing and advertising. Maybe they should leverage some of that expertise into their own hardware products.