Why doesn't the Nexus 5 work on Verizon?

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Then it begs the question: Why doesn't Google promote the Nexus 5 more, especially to average consumers? I'm keep hearing that Google is a leader in marketing and advertising. Maybe they should leverage some of that expertise into their own hardware products.

I couldn't agree with you more, but think about like this: users on a another platform, let's say iOS still use Google Services (heavily) and Google STILL makes money without having to spend any money to market their own hardware. So it seems that Google is content letting Apple, Samsung, HTC, and LG worry about marketing their hardware because Google makes money off the majority of users of the hardware from those companies.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't agree with you more, but think about like this: users on a another platform, let's say iOS still use Google Services (heavily) and Google STILL makes money without having to spend any money to market their own hardware.

So, would it be better for Google to just eliminate the Nexus phone altogether? There are plenty of Android phones on all the carriers (including Verizon) that are not Nexus phones. These phones still run Google services, so Google is making money. If you eliminate the Nexus, Google can save the money it would have spent to subsidize each phone.

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
So, would it be better for Google to just eliminate the Nexus phone altogether? There are plenty of Android phones on all the carriers (including Verizon) that are not Nexus phones. These phones still run Google services, so Google is making money. If you eliminate the Nexus, Google can save the money it would have spent to subsidize each phone.

This true. They can still make a limited number of them as reference devices for developers and such, but the average consumer isn't going to magically start buying Nexus phones. I don't know about outside the US but the carrier centric approach still reigns supreme in the US. Meaning people are much more likely to buy phones that are promoted by their carrier.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
This true. They can still make a limited number of them as reference devices for developers and such, but the average consumer isn't going to magically start buying Nexus phones. I don't know about outside the US but the carrier centric approach still reigns supreme in the US. Meaning people are much more likely to buy phones that are promoted by their carrier.

Well, both Sprint and T-Mobile sold the Nexus 5 in the US. Perhaps they didn't promote them enough? It could also be possible that the Nexus 5 just doesn't appeal to average consumers.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Selling more Nexus 5s wouldn't make Google more money since it is already sold at/or near cost.

Bingo.
The purpose of the Nexus is not to make money, but to create mindshare and marketshare plus showcase the best of what Android can be for the technical customers and the developers.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Google's CEO has had high praise for the 5's success.... I think that it, along with the success of the GPE phones is what lead to the Android Silver program that we've been hearing about lately.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The purpose of the Nexus is not to make money, but to create mindshare and marketshare plus showcase the best of what Android can be for the technical customers and the developers.

Creating mindshare and marketshare makes money for Google because more people will use Google apps.

There are technical customers and developers on Verizon, too. Perhaps Google should make a Verizon Nexus for them.

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
The auction they won for the 700 MHz LTE band included the provision that the spectrum be open to bring-your-own devices. Verizon would have looked pretty stupid if they allowed the N5 on the LTE network but crippled the phone side; Google could have forced the issue. I'd imagine the chipset just wasn't ready in time, and I'd also expect Google to take this tactic with their next handset.

--Qfg

i believe this is the reason they rushed to sell it off - https://gigaom.com/2014/01/06/why-t-mobile-wants-verizons-discarded-4g-airwaves/ to free themselves of that very stipualtion..

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
i believe this is the reason they rushed to sell it off - https://gigaom.com/2014/01/06/why-t-mobile-wants-verizons-discarded-4g-airwaves/ to free themselves of that very stipualtion..

Verizon sold lower 700MHz A-Block to tmobile. The stipulation for open devices is with upper 700 MHz C-Block, which is the backbone of Verizon's 4GLTE network. Verizon hasn't sold it off, nor do I suspect that they would anytime soon

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Verizon sold lower 700MHz A-Block to tmobile. The stipulation for open devices is with upper 700 MHz C-Block, which is the backbone of Verizon's 4GLTE network. Verizon hasn't sold it off, nor do I suspect that they would anytime soon

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

thanks.. i stand corrected.. :)

Joseph Coates

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I can only get a signal with Verizon at my home. T-Mobile and AT&T are a no go where i live. I considered the N5, but since I am stuck with Verizon, I got a G2 for $1. Sometimes, it just is what it is and the service dominates peoples decisions.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Though... I wonder what effect upcoming 'Android Silver' program will have on matters? Just piecing together rumors, I would guess that a lot of manufacturers will jump on this one; Release a version of your device that is built along the lines of the Nexus 5/Moto X (i.e. leave the carrier/maker bloatware on the shelf) and Google will put its weight behind it and cover a ton of the costs to put the phone in stores... if that is what this program will be. Verizon won't be able to claim 'hardware incompatibility'.... the only thing they can claim as their reason is that they suck.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
A Google Play version of flagship devices would be better than a separate Nexus device anyway.

Except the Nexus devices are typically close to half the cost of the GP version of the flagship devices....

I'd buy a GPE Note 3 (or 4 when it comes out) or a the new LG G3 if it came in a GPE flavor but not at $600 - 800....... They'd need to at least get it down around $500 for me to start shopping in that arena....

Overall I agree though.. a variety of GPE flagships would be awesome...

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You can get an HTC One M7 for $499 right now. Not too shabby considering the build quality.

Nice phone but over a year old and even when it came out it wasn't tip top spec wise... for $399 you can get a Nexus 5 with better specs (at least on paper) My wife has the M7 (not the GPE) and it's a very VERY nice build.... but I wouldn't pay $499 for something that is roughly 18 months old tech wise.... Spoiled in having the latest and greatest.. a GS5 or M8 GPE for $499 would be very interesting........

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
One thing to remember... The tidbit about Google covering some of the marketing costs of the Silver phones. That is, by no means, a trivial component.

But this is just a waiting game until we see the first program phone with a MSRP attached.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kernighan

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
This is a very real problem. I've been mostly enjoying using by Google "Galaxy Nexus" phone, but now it's at the end of it's two year run. It's running hot, and the screen is showing anomalies. I'm sold on the idea of early updates to the system, and avoiding all the add-in vendor software, which is, frankly a pain. Verizon's service coverage is decent in my area, and I'm grandfathered into unlimited data at a reasonable rate. A big problem.