Why doesn't the Nexus 5 work on Verizon?

CannedBullets

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
If the Nexus 5 runs on Sprint, it should run on Verizon also because they're both CDMA right? But apparently Verizon blocked the Nexus 5 from its network. Why is that the case?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
If the Nexus 5 runs on Sprint, it should run on Verizon also because they're both CDMA right? But apparently Verizon blocked the Nexus 5 from its network. Why is that the case?

Both are cdma but use different frequencies and while the Nexus 5 supports one of Verizon's they also need to approve it on their network which they probably won't

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon didn't block the nexus 5, they just didn't put it on the approved list. And Verizon only puts Verizon certified devices on the approved list

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

gene1138

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Verizon wants absolute control over the phones they sell. What updates get installed, how they get installed, all updates have to go through Verizon's months long testing before be released. Unless you're Apple who can do whatever they want on Verizon. Google just didn't want to play that game and I don't blame them which is why I dumped Vz and went somewhere else for a Nexus 5.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Verizon didn't block the nexus 5, they just didn't put it on the approved list. And Verizon only puts Verizon certified devices on the approved list

That is the same end result. Verizon is intentionally blocking the Nexus 5 from their network since the Nexus 5 has all the ability to run on Verizon with no issues. The Nexus 5 radio supports all of Verizon's frequency bands. Verizon doesn't like universal service network phones that are new unlocked cell phones they can't lock into that old 2 year services contract scheme that has made them rich. Nothing gives me more joy than to help other networks by talking their customers into dropping Verizon for their service.

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Unless you're Apple who can do whatever they want on Verizon. Google just didn't want to play that game and I don't blame them which is why I dumped Vz and went somewhere else for a Nexus 5.

That is the Real Truth there. That is why Verizon is the service provider that many people that are fans of better customer business practices in the cell service won't support Verizon with our money.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
That is the Real Truth there. That is why Verizon is the service provider that many people that are fans of better customer business practices in the cell service won't support Verizon with our money.

Thank you! There needs to be more people that speak with their wallets.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Verizon doesn't allow any device that they don't control. I switched to AT&T when I got my N5. I was worried that the coverage wouldn't be as good as Verizon but it's actuall better and the speeds are much better. I travel around rural New England on the weekends and I'm getting decent connections on my N5 with AT&T in towns where I had no connection at all with Verizon on my Galaxy Nexus.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If you want customer friendly policies then Verizon isn't for you. My key concerns were for the best network and also unlimited data and unlimited hotspot.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! There needs to be more people that speak with their wallets.

Verizon is so much cheaper for my needs though I am on a legacy plan

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Verizon doesn't allow any device that they don't control. I switched to AT&T when I got my N5. I was worried that the coverage wouldn't be as good as Verizon but it's actuall better and the speeds are much better. I travel around rural New England on the weekends and I'm getting decent connections on my N5 with AT&T in towns where I had no connection at all with Verizon on my Galaxy Nexus.

The iPhone gets it's updates from Apple not Verizon. So Apple is the exception to Verizon.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
If you want customer friendly policies then Verizon isn't for you. My key concerns were for the best network and also unlimited data and unlimited hotspot.

Service quality is based on where you live. I live in a major South Florida city. I was stuck with AT&T for my 2 year contract where I had to walk down the street standing in the heat or rain to talk to someone on their service where I was paying over $100 a month. Imagine my surprise when I had a football party and a friend was talking on his Metro PCS phone inside my house and he was only paying $40 a month for unlimited data. Now my Nexus 5 is on a $35 a month plan from Metro PCS on their T Mobile GSM network with unlimited data. Yes, I have a speed bump at 500mb but still for $55 a month it would be unlimited 4G LTE.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is so much cheaper for my needs though I am on a legacy plan

If you need it you can't beat the old Verizon unlimited plan. The area I live in is nearly a Smart City with less than 15,000 sq ft of none free wifi coverage within the city limits.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Service quality is based on where you live. I live in a major South Florida city. I was stuck with AT&T for my 2 year contract where I had to walk down the street standing in the heat or rain to talk to someone on their service where I was paying over $100 a month. Imagine my surprise when I had a football party and a friend was talking on his Metro PCS phone inside my house and he was only paying $40 a month for unlimited data. Now my Nexus 5 is on a $35 a month plan from Metro PCS on their T Mobile GSM network with unlimited data. Yes, I have a speed bump at 500mb but still for $55 a month it would be unlimited 4G LTE.

Of course, Verizon offers the best total network coverage but that is overall. There will definitely be places where other carriers have better service.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Why does the N5 not work on Verizon? Google Galaxy Nexus. That is all you need to know, Verizon completely MUFFED that chance. They just want too much control of the devices on their network. The Nexus line usually is not a huge seller, so Google did not have much leverage with the negations with Verizon. It's ok though, you have a choice of 3 other national carriers, and multiple MVNO's.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
so Google did not have much leverage with the negations with Verizon

Yep... which is why Apple got their way with the iPhone... VZW was desperate to get the iPhone on their network, so they had to concede control to Apple. The Nexus 5 doesn't have that leverage, so Verizon has no reason to cave.

Which, of course, blows.... Why Verizon is such a pisser when it comes to what their customers run on their networks is beyond me... they are still paying for the service, so what advantage do they gain by being so strict? Branding? Is annoying customers with their bloatware THAT important? It isn't like their branded apps are any good anyhow. VZ Navigator is an absolute joke, their Backup Assistant in a redundant mess.... visual voicemail.... they charge for ringtones! Maybe they are afraid that if their network gets flooded with unlocked phones, people will realize that they can get most of their 'value added services' from Google for free.

I dropped Verizon almost the instant TM announced their EFT get out of jail free program and have never looked back. My coverage isn't as good as it was, but it's a small price to pay to be free of Big Red.

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Two reasons: Technical, and business.

Technical: The N5 supports CDMA bands 0 and 1 (Verizon's CDMA Bands). It supports only one of Verizon's LTE bands (band 4), but not the other (band 13). Verizon is going to re-farm band 1 to LTE in 2015, anyway.

Business: Even with CDMA band 0 and 1 support, Verizon won't put the ESN of any bring-your-own device into their provisioning system for you. There's no technical reason to do this; they just want the money from the device sale and the walled garden lock-in. They could use the same activation process as Sprint if they wanted to. They also claim a BS story of customer support and network QA on bring-your-own devices, but that's a smokescreen.

The business boneheadedness can't be attributed entirely to Verizon, though. If Google/LG/Qualcomm had included band 13 support in the N5 chipset, Verizon would have been forced to support it. The auction they won for the 700 MHz LTE band included the provision that the spectrum be open to bring-your-own devices. Verizon would have looked pretty stupid if they allowed the N5 on the LTE network but crippled the phone side; Google could have forced the issue. I'd imagine the chipset just wasn't ready in time, and I'd also expect Google to take this tactic with their next handset.

--Qfg

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
See I handled this a different way....Instead of asking why the Nexus 5 was not on Verizon, I asked why was I on Verizon? Easy enough, I finished up my contract and am now with AT&T. Cost less, I have a Nexus 5, and my data speeds blow my wife's VZW Moto X out of the water. Some one is going to comment that they have unlimited data.....so did I, but it was worth giving that up to have a choice, to have FREEDOM!!!!!!

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Yep... which is why Apple got their way with the iPhone... VZW was desperate to get the iPhone on their network, so they had to concede control to Apple. The Nexus 5 doesn't have that leverage, so Verizon has no reason to cave.

What would it take for a Nexus phone to have the same leverage as the iPhone on Verizon?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox