Why doesn't the Nexus 5 work on Verizon?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What would it take for a Nexus phone to have the same leverage as the iPhone on Verizon?

I phones account for over half of the smartphones Verizon sells.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
To go further, we will get a Verizon branded Nexus with updates from Google when enough people will drop or not use Verizon because of it.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
What would it take for a Nexus phone to have the same leverage as the iPhone on Verizon?

The Nexus line is more for us geeks and nerds. People that like to tinker with "advanced settings" and root. the iphone is a brand, one that is VERY popular. I don't think the Nexus line will ever have the cache of the iphone. Plus I still think Google is salty at Verizon for handling the Galaxy nexus the way they did. I would be surprised if a Nexus ends up on Verizon anytime in the near future

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
To go further, we will get a Verizon branded Nexus with updates from Google when enough people will drop or not use Verizon because of it.

Should Google concentrate on getting the Nexus 5 on AT&T instead? AT&T's network is definitely compatible, but AT&T doesn't sell the Nexus 5. If I recall correctly, the iPhone started on AT&T before it moved onto Verizon. Once the iPhone became very popular on AT&T, Apple had more leverage to use against Verizon. Perhaps Google could do the same.

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
The N5 works on AT&T. They just don't sell it in AT&T stores. They don't really need or want to, either. Since they sell it directly via Google play, there's no incentive for a subsidized carrier version. Sprint's subsidy on the 16GB version is gravy to them. It'd be nice for end-users if they had more choices in a subsidized phone, but Google's fine just competing as the best deal in unsubsidized handsets. They sell everything they can make without the hassle of going thru carriers.

If a device maker is looking for leverage against Verizon, the 700MHz band is the chink in their armor. They have to allow BYO devices in that band. Once the Qualcomm chipsets that support every band everywhere start rolling out in more devices, there will exist a pile of gadgets that can connect to VZW's LTE network but somebody else's voice network. Then who knows what happens -- all hell breaks loose?

--Qfg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Should Google concentrate on getting the Nexus 5 on AT&T instead? AT&T's network is definitely compatible, but AT&T doesn't sell the Nexus 5. If I recall correctly, the iPhone started on AT&T before it moved onto Verizon. Once the iPhone became very popular on AT&T, Apple had more leverage to use against Verizon. Perhaps Google could do the same.

No real point imo, because att can't sell it at $350 and make a profit. People will complain about how come att pricing is higher just like they are doing with tmobile Nexus 5 now. There won't be enough people to buy it from att at the higher price to make it worthwhile, imo.

Plus the nexus 5 is a niche phone. Even if Verizon sold it, it won't help them gain more customers substantially. Put it this way, it took years for verizon to take the iPhone and that outsells the nexus by many fold.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The N5 works on AT&T. They just don't sell it in AT&T stores. They don't really need or want to, either. Since they sell it directly via Google play, there's no incentive for a subsidized carrier version. Sprint's subsidy on the 16GB version is gravy to them. It'd be nice for end-users if they had more choices in a subsidized phone, but Google's fine just competing as the best deal in unsubsidized handsets. They sell everything they can make without the hassle of going thru carriers.

If a device maker is looking for leverage against Verizon, the 700MHz band is the chink in their armor. They have to allow BYO devices in that band. Once the Qualcomm chipsets that support every band everywhere start rolling out in more devices, there will exist a pile of gadgets that can connect to VZW's LTE network but somebody else's voice network. Then who knows what happens -- all hell breaks loose?

--Qfg

While AT&T doesn't sell it nor has a way to stop it it doesn't sell enough to carry in stores and even if they did it will probably be valued at $500 like sprint and t-mobile full price is. I guarantee you that they do like the nexus 5 though because if you want the nexus 5 and the best national carrier (overall coverage) coverage AT&T is the best by far (depending on area). AT&T is getting all the customers that need service in those rural areas and want the nexus 5.

Sent from my SM-N900T

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
While AT&T doesn't sell it nor has a way to stop it it doesn't sell enough to carry in stores and even if they did it will probably be valued at $500 like sprint and t-mobile full price is. I guarantee you that they do like the nexus 5 though because if you want the nexus 5 and the best national carrier (overall coverage) coverage AT&T is the best by far (depending on area). AT&T is getting all the customers that need service in those rural areas and want the nexus 5.

Sent from my SM-N900T

Do you have proof to back up AT&T having the most coverage? I could of swore that was Verizon.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Do you have proof to back up AT&T having the most coverage? I could of swore that was Verizon.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

That you can use the nexus 5 on? Yes it does with those terms

I also don't care about LTE coverage and basing it on overall coverage

Sent from my SM-N900T

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I don't like that idea. They'd want to put carrier software on it, effectively destroying it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That you can use the nexus 5 on? Yes it does with those terms

I also don't care about LTE coverage and basing it on overall coverage

Sent from my SM-N900T

I read that the nexus 5 can work on Verizon if rooted and running cm on aws only.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

There was actually an exclusivity agreement preventing it from moving to Verizon sooner.

They initially passed on it and then Apple approached AT&T. We know the rest of the story.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There was actually an exclusivity agreement preventing it from moving to Verizon sooner.

They initially passed on it and then Apple approached AT&T. We know the rest of the story.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Correct. Verizon could have had it sooner if they wanted to but they chose not to.

Probably not a bad thing either, their 3g network was slow already without iPhones.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

And Sprint's 3G network was about the same as Verizon's at the time. They DID bring the iphone and when they did, the whole Sprint 3G network pretty much fell apart. I was in a data/speed ghetto on Sprint for years because of it. They were just starting to get interesting with LTE in this area when I finally ditched them for unrelated issues after being a 15 year customer (they simply refused to cooperate and fix major text messaging issues on my local tower for almost a YEAR).

Now on T-Mobile... smaller coverage, but fantastic network with great speed and reliability. No more text messaging issues either. The stores here actually have real customer service, unlike the horrible Sprint stores. Plus I saved a little money too. Only regret is that T-Mobile keeps spamming me with crappy billing & marketing text messages which infuriates me. I asked them to stop and they claim they can't (which is BS). Wrote Email and a letter to the president about it... got only lip service and no change. I don't know if other carriers do that too, but Sprint didn't.

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Verizon doesn't allow any device that they don't control. I switched to AT&T when I got my N5. I was worried that the coverage wouldn't be as good as Verizon but it's actuall better and the speeds are much better. I travel around rural New England on the weekends and I'm getting decent connections on my N5 with AT&T in towns where I had no connection at all with Verizon on my Galaxy Nexus.

As a former Galaxy Nexus user on Verizon who ALSO switched to AT&T and got a Nexus 5 to use off contract, I agree I am getting great reception and coverage in the DC/Baltimore area, but I think part of it was that Samsung put crappy cellular radios in the Galaxy Nexus. Did not get great signals like it should have whereas other Verizon LTE capable phones near me had a decent signal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma