Gallery disappeared

chadders1033

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Came to view my camera gallery yesterday & it's simply disappeared obviously along with my pictures
Any ideas what might have happened?? Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried rebooting device? You should always try this first.
In case you're unfamiliar with this procedure; simply hold power button down until you see the Google icon. This will take about 10 seconds.

chadders1033

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks
I've done a reboot & the camera app isn't disabled it's really weird how it's just disappeared I've still got Instagram pics nothing else

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Check the main app drawer (the dots at bottom center of the home screen). If you can find Gallery there, just drag and drop it back onto your preferred location.

chadders1033

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
They've all gone from my 360camera app album too pop up msg says
"128 images have been deleted but the thumbnails can be viewed"
however there's nothing in the thumbnails either only the dates when the pictures were taken

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think you need to tell us what you have been up to. :)

Are you rooted? Custom kernel or ROM? Anything else funky about your configuration?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Also, check the app drawer for an app called "Photos" - I think this is supposed to eventually replace the Gallery app anyway, though that doesn't explain why your Gallery is gone and the rest of us still have it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
They've all gone from my 360camera app album too pop up msg says
"128 images have been deleted but the thumbnails can be viewed"
however there's nothing in the thumbnails either only the dates when the pictures were taken

Welcome to Android Central! Ok, we need to clarify a couple of things here. First, you've been using a 3rd party camera app, correct? What is the exact name of the app, because there are a few camera apps that have "360" in the name?

Second, are you saying that photos taken by this 3rd party camera app have disappeared? It sounds like they save to a dedicated directory for that app, so it's possible that directory got corrupted somehow.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

chadders1033

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Ok, we need to clarify a couple of things here. First, you've been using a 3rd party camera app, correct? What is the exact name of the app, because there are a few camera apps that have "360" in the name?

Second, are you saying that photos taken by this 3rd party camera app have disappeared? It sounds like they save to a dedicated directory for that app, so it's possible that directory got corrupted somehow.

It's called 360 camera but I've mostly used the camera app by Google the one that originally came with the phone & recently updated but the pics were there after the update
The pics taken by 360 camera have also gone but there are still greyed out thumbnails with the date & number of pics taken on that particular date.

I've looked in the photos app from the apps launch screen the only pics there are those posted on Instagram
Thanks for the replies it seems I'm not the only one this has happened to

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
And have you used a file manager like ES File Explorer to look at the DCIM/Camera directory?

Filesponge

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to let others know how I got past this problem, as the answers above don't directly say what to do :-(

As it's been posted up there, it was suggested that google+ has to be activated and that should fix it. But Axe's reply doesn't say Yes It Worked, it only says that that was assumed to be the problem. Actually the whole story don't make sense because if the original poster says he disables google+ anyway as it's a battery drain, then that would mean he's never had camera or gallery working - both features and everything connected with them (handling photos and video etc.) all vanish. Well it all confused me a bit anyhow lol

Well, i went through the motions, clearing up various caches by various methods, checking for updates etc etc.(i cant recall all that I did as there was so much to try), but the bit that did fix it was....

I downloaded the appropriate version of the GAPPS app (google apps). Its a big file, over 140Mb for my Y300 mobile, and I reflashed that through CM recovery mode (my phones rooted and upgraded to what Huawei should have created in the first place ;-)
That didn't actually fix it though yet. I then found that there was no Google+ app around to be checked, but I did find that the Camera app was there (still no links anywhere on the phone to either Gallery or Camera, and using any app that tries to access either just made it fail and give a Stopped Responding error).

To get the links back as normal, I went into Setting > Apps > Camera and even after reflashing the full GAPPS package, that was left disabled lol. Weird !
I Enabled that and yippeeee - that was it, everything just works again now.

On another point mentioned earlier, thumbnail views of photos taken previously where only being shown as grey boxes - even if the files where perfect even a few hours ago :-( The bad news there seems to be that they are corrputed beyond repair if that happens, and yep it can happen at any time. I lost 12 photos out of 108, and the only thing they had in common was they were on the same memory card in the phone, nothing had been changed, no crashes, no new apps, no editing, they just went grey. Some went grey when I happened to be looking for them, and some others went grey after I'd used the standard video recording app - it froze for a minute when the recording was ended, and left a grey file with all the right length/date/time, even extra details like Camera Model.
No recovery/repair software seems able to repair them, and it also happens to video in the same way.

For now, I've backed up all files, fixed the camera/gallery as mentioned above, and then Low Level formatted my SD card. Lets see how long this lasts then :)

Good luck to everybody who has this kind of frustrating problem.