Would you buy another Nexus 5?

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
So I've owned the Nexus 5 since first week of November (bought from the Play Store) and a few weeks ago I cracked the screen. Pretty hardcore crack too. Still works but about 1/2 to 2/3 of the screen is a spiderweb of yuck.

Time to look at options.

Would you buy another Nexus 5? Would you upgrade to the S5? Would you switch to an HTC One M8?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Were you thinking about changing phones before you cracked the screen? If yes then look into buying another phone. If not then buy another Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
If you've never had any signal issues, definitely go with N5 again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Nawww, I was completely happy with my Nexus 5. Hell I still am. It seems to run very streamlined UI. I don't HAVE to have the latest greatest phone on the market. It would be nice but trying to stay current carries with it a very large price tag (I'm looking at you Note 3, S5, One M8, 5S).

I recently started work at a new company that has the S4 as our internal fleet standard. We will soon move to the S5 as a standard (for non-executives that is, since execs can get it now) once the price comes down a bit. I gotta say that the Galaxy devices look pretty sweet. Even if they have Samsung Bloatware. I haven't had a chance to really dig in to an S5 yet other than basic provisioning and exchange server setup but it looks like quite a flashy device with some cool features.

With the Nexus 5 being 6+ months old now I thought I would see how other Nexus owners are feeling about their devices.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Were you thinking about changing phones before you cracked the screen? If yes then look into buying another phone. If not then buy another Nexus 5.

That's what I would do. Personally, I'd stick with the Nexus 5 as I've been perfectly satisfied with it :) .

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Love my Nexus 5 with zee-ro defects (any other Innerspace fans out there?).

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

ncfanboy

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes I would totally buy another nexus I really have had no problems with the phone at all.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Since we're mid way through the nexus release cycle, I'd use my retired (but saved for an emergency) N4 and wait for the new nexus in Nov. If I didn't have the N4, I'd buy another N5. I have no interest in any other phone models.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
So I've owned the Nexus 5 since first week of November (bought from the Play Store) and a few weeks ago I cracked the screen. Pretty hardcore crack too. Still works but about 1/2 to 2/3 of the screen is a spiderweb of yuck.

Time to look at options.

Would you buy another Nexus 5? Would you upgrade to the S5? Would you switch to an HTC One M8?

100% yes, would buy an Nexus 5 again. If for no other reason than the camera..the Camera owns the M8 on pretty much every level now (M8 images are really washed out), and owns the S5 in lowlight still.

115217d1398697060-nexus-5-lowlight-awesome-galaxy-s5-nexus-5-comparison-compare-4.png

The Nexus 5 is the first Android phone I have ever owned that I would describe as lag free. The only time I have ever seen any lag at all is with heavy multi-tasking (like downloading and installing 8 apps at once for example). It is normal for the Nexus 5 to be fast and responsive all of the time, and I have yet to see that with another phone. It is even more responsive than the best iPhone right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI8snnLpEDE

The S5 is something I would only recommend if battery life and local storage are a big deal to you (the nexus does not beat Samsung on that and probably never will). The M8's only real advantage is the Stereo Speakers...I can't think of any other reason to want it. And of course I would only consider either if they had Vanilla Android.

If you are not staying with the Nexus I'd recommend just waiting for the G3, which will be significantly better than all three (except for no vanilla android).

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The G3 would have to be a GPE for me to even consider it. After my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7, I could never have anything other than unadulterated Google Android.

Sent from my 2nd Generation Nexus 7.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Time to look at options.

Since you have another phone as backup why don't you try to replace the screen yourself. They are as cheap as $137 here OEM and $87 Generic Amazon.com: nexus 5 screen replacement

If you live near a major city you can find cell phone fix it stores that will charge less than $200 and have in fixed in a hour if they have the glass. Saw prices on line for a $179 for total replacement with LG OEM glass.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Time to look at options.

Interesting question.... I love my Nexus 5 but am completely intrigued with the Oneplus One....... Depending on your carrier (I am on Sprint but looking to maybe switch to AT&T or T-Mobile) and your preference for size (The Oneplus is a BIG phone at 5.5 inches) It's a cheaper device with slightly better specs... My only concern is going to be long term (okay 18 months to 2 years) update support for the device..... I am going to try and get 64 gig black when they go on the open market to play around with and have my Nexus 5 as the fall back option if I am not completely satisfied with the Oneplus device....

SteveW888

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the camera low light performance above. I got the S5 purely for the camera and have now sold it as was very disappointed with it. Back to N5 and will try to patiently wait for N6.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad