A better photo gallery app?

Harry Fajina

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm not very impressed with the layout of the stock Photos and Gallery apps. Having used an iPhone for a few years I've become used to having them automatically sorted by location/date. Apart from being a friendlier presentation it gives you a handy little visual diary.

Is there an Android app anyone can recommend that would replicate or better this layout?

Also, having all your album art show up in the Gallery is downright retarded. While I like that Android apps can find data stored anywhere there's also a downside to not being able to bolt it down.

Thanks

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm not very impressed with the layout of the stock Photos and Gallery apps. Having used an iPhone for a few years I've become used to having them automatically sorted by location/date. Apart from being a friendlier presentation it gives you a handy little visual diary.

Is there an Android app anyone can recommend that would replicate or better this layout?

Also, having all your album art show up in the Gallery is downright retarded. While I like that Android apps can find data stored anywhere there's also a downside to not being able to bolt it down.

Thanks

You may want to try the free gallery app QuickPic.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
QuickPic is the best image viewer out there.
Don't know about "location", though. I would never turn on geotagging.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
A definite improvement - thanks! But it doesn't group by location. Any way to do that?

You mean their location on the phone? Or the location they were shot?

If you adjust the settings accordingly, you can have Dropbox automatically upload/'sync' (= backup) all new images in the gallery/QuickPic instantly to your Dropbox cloud (and available on your PC, Mac or other devices that you installed Dropbox on).
Tip: set syncing to only when you're on WiFi or your monthly dataplan may quickly – and expensively – spill over!

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I mean the way IOS does it. Like this:

There is great danger in turning on geo-tagging. Most people will share such photos publicly without thinking and the meta data will point people right to where you live, work, eat, family, etc.... just be aware of that.

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
There is great danger in turning on geo-tagging. Most people will share such photos publicly without thinking and the meta data will point people right to where you live, work, eat, family, etc.... just be aware of that.

How do you even turn this off? Can't find the setting in the camera app..

Harry Fajina

May 11, 2014
Visit site

If you're worried about privacy I would run very fast away from anything Google, particularly Gmail and Android. The way I see it, Android, and the Nexus line especially, is primarily a honeytrap for gathering personal information.

I mean, it pains me to think about it. The way Google Now mines your personal info is the most obnoxious flaunting of privacy I've seen in twenty years online. Sure, you can turn it off, but that only hides it from you.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
If you're worried about privacy I would run very fast away from anything Google, particularly Gmail and Android. The way I see it, Android, and the Nexus line especially, is primarily a honeytrap for gathering personal information.

* I AM concerned about privacy
* I don't use Google Now
* I don't use Gmail, except as required for phone operation
* I don't use Google+ (nor Facebook)
* I don't use Hangouts nor Chrome
* I don't use Google Games, Books, Currents, etc

I mean, it pains me to think about it. The way Google Now mines your personal info is the most obnoxious flaunting of privacy I've seen in twenty years online. Sure, you can turn it off, but that only hides it from you.

Yep

Harry Fajina

May 11, 2014
Visit site
* I AM concerned about privacy
* I don't use Google Now
* I don't use Gmail, except as required for phone operation
* I don't use Google+ (nor Facebook)
* I don't use Hangouts nor Chrome
* I don't use Google Games, Books, Currents, etc

Sounds like you're swimming against a strong current. Perhaps Android isn't such a great fit for you.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you're swimming against a strong current. Perhaps Android isn't such a great fit for you.

I was waiting for someone to say that.

You might be right... but there are essentially no better alternatives than Android Linux right now. I generally detest Apple- and their ecosystem is much worse in so many other ways. MS? No way. I would rather have no phone at all. Eventually we might have more choices, like FirefoxOS Linux or Ubuntu Linux Phone.

It is actually surprising how much you can un-Google a Nexus and still have it be a great smartphone...

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
How do you even turn this off? Can't find the setting in the camera app..

Open the camera app and wait until the options at the left dissapear. Swipe left to right to make them appear and tap the gear on the bottom right. Then, toggle the Save location off.

Last edited:

Harry Fajina

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I was waiting for someone to say that.

You might be right... but there are essentially no better alternatives than Android Linux right now. I generally detest Apple- and their ecosystem is much worse in so many other ways. MS? No way. I would rather have no phone at all. Eventually we might have more choices, like FirefoxOS Linux or Ubuntu Linux Phone.

It is actually surprising how much you can un-Google a Nexus and still have it be a great smartphone...

I have both, but use my Nexus as primary, for the screen size. I have no love for Apple whatsoever, but it wasn't until I got my Nexus that I started to see Google in a more sinister light.

IOS has better quality apps right across the board with the exception of anything to do with file or network management. The way IOS sandboxes your data and can't talk to USB devices is intolerable, particulary when you move up to the iPad and try to use it as a notebook replacement. As I mentioned in the OP I love the way the gallery app sorts by date and location, but the file management side is atrocious. For example, you can't just drag and drop some photos across. You have to register the device with the PC and syncronize your folders, otherwise it will delete everything off your mobile device. It's dire.

Every time IOS updates it's about tying you to the platform and getting you to buy stuff from them. When Google updates it's about getting more information on you. Apple are greedy bastards. Google is creepy.

My experience of the two app stores is a bit like my experience with OSX and Windows, but in reverse. At first glance it looks like the Mac has a comparable range of applications and is simpler to manage than Windows, but when you start playing you soon realize the features are stripped back and the Mac way of doing things is just as arcane, often moreso. While Android has torrent apps etc, many of the ports are skeletal. Also, Apple's Facetime is far superior to anything on Android, and iMessage/Texting is much nicer than the horrible Hangouts, or Textra for that matter. Generally speaking it works better as a telephone. But the Nexus is more versatile. You feel less controlled. Just constantly monitored.

But Android is definitely catching up. It will probably be better at everything within a couple of years. Except support. That's hopeless.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Use QuickPic. It is the only app I use for pictures. You can sort it by date oldest first. Also it is one of the few apps that is truly free with no ads or in app purchases.

Harry Fajina

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Use QuickPic. It is the only app I use for pictures. You can sort it by date oldest first. Also it is one of the few apps that is truly free with no ads or in app purchases.

Thanks everyone for recommending Quickpic, but, alas, it is not interested in sorting by location/date (as per the OP.)

I've since found Eagle Eye, which will group by Places or Countries, which is more helpful. It, however, doesn't offer the timeline view, sorted by places, as IOS does it. But it's a good start.