Nandroid

dv8info

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Why is Google being such a Nanny on Nexus 5? Examples (in descending order of PITA-ness)

1. Worst nag of all: having to deal with a pop-up screen before being able to turn up volume, when speakers are plugged in :-(
2. When shutting down phone: 1. Press and hold on/off button. 2. in popup window click "Shut Down Phone" 3. In ANOTHER popup window click "Yes of course I do want to fricking shut down this phone, I already told you that" or a command to that effect.
3. When turning on GPS having to give location consent EVERY TIME. Surely once we have given consent in our profile, isn't that enough to satisfy the overly-litigation-sensitive legal nannies?

:mad:

Attachments

• nannynag.jpg
    nannynag.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Why is Google being such a Nanny on Nexus 5? Examples (in descending order of PITA-ness)

1. Worst nag of all: having to deal with a pop-up screen before being able to turn up volume, when speakers are plugged in :-(
2. When shutting down phone: 1. Press and hold on/off button. 2. in popup window click "Shut Down Phone" 3. In ANOTHER popup window click "Yes of course I do want to fricking shut down this phone, I already told you that" or a command to that effect.
3. When turning on GPS having to give location consent EVERY TIME. Surely once we have given consent in our profile, isn't that enough to satisfy the overly-litigation-sensitive legal nannies?

1. Doesn't happen to me.

2. Takes like 2 seconds tops.

3. See #2.

Don't like it, use an iphone then. You have serious issues if these things bother you that much.

dv8info

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Mr Briggs, I don't think that just wanting things to work better is "having serious issues". And I don't think you need to turn this into a personal attack.

dv8info

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe not a big deal, but I do find them to have *some degree* of "PITA-ness" (1) means sometimes wondering why the volume is not working while my attention is focused elsewhere. (2) means noticing some time later after I thought I turned the phone off that there is a dialog still waiting for a response from me. (3) means apps cannot automatically turn on gps for me even if I choose for that to be the case. All of these could be fixed, so I don't know what is wrong with me pointing this out.Why should we not be looking to improve things?

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Maybe not a big deal, but I do find them to have *some degree* of "PITA-ness" (1) means sometimes wondering why the volume is not working while my attention is focused elsewhere. (2) means noticing some time later after I thought I turned the phone off that there is a dialog still waiting for a response from me. (3) means apps cannot automatically turn on gps for me even if I choose for that to be the case. All of these could be fixed, so I don't know what is wrong with me pointing this out.Why should we not be looking to improve things?

I never said that things can't improve. I guess my initial reaction was misunderstood. It just seemed the OP came out guns blazing and P'eed off over relatively minor things.

dv8info

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
OK, understood. And yes I am a bit P'ed off about issue #1, because it also has been bugging me (and many others on various forums which Google developers seem to continually ignore) and on the Nexus 7 as well, and this has been since v 4.1. So it is because it is still there, and is a nagging annoyance which only increases as time passes because it has been neither addressed nor explained satisfactorily by Android, that I am a bit P'ed off at this point.

dv8info

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
And the original post is not a rhetorical question. Why do we *need* these nanny popups? Surely we only need to be told once. And our profile can store that we have read and understood. A simple checkbox saying "don't show me this again" is all that is required in each case, surely (?)

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
And the original post is not a rhetorical question. Why do we *need* these nanny popups? Surely we only need to be told once. And our profile can store that we have read and understood. A simple checkbox saying "don't show me this again" is all that is required in each case, surely (?)

Other than number 2 (which I don't find anything wrong with the way Google does it), I haven't encountered these issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dv8info

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Other than number 2 (which I don't find anything wrong with the way Google does it), I haven't encountered these issues.
I don't understand how it behaves so differently on the same hardware and the same version (presumably) of Android

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I don't have any of these issues. Is your phone rooted? 1 hasn't happened to me since ICS. 2 is odd. I only get the 1pop up box with turn off phone, airplane mode, and silent, vibrate options. 3. Just consent to high accuracy, and you never get those.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

dv8info

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
No, bog standard Nexus 5, Android 4.4.2. Now I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness. How can this just be happening on my phone only? Well now I understand while everybody thinks I'm making too much of a deal over this - nobody else is experiencing it. Weird. Has the NSA installed some spyware on my phone... Spy Van 37?

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
No, bog standard Nexus 5, Android 4.4.2. Now I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness. How can this just be happening on my phone only? Well now I understand while everybody thinks I'm making too much of a deal over this - nobody else is experiencing it. Weird. Has the NSA installed some spyware on my phone... Spy Van 37?

Shhhh that's where the "free candy" is ;-) idk where your getting all those pop ups. I remember that happening once, but each instance was on a different device. None of those were on my N5 though.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Go use a iPhone and get even more annoyed when you open apps and they pop up bugging you to rate them. So far on Android I have only seen a few apps that I deleted do that.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
For #1, there's an option in the settings to disable the pop-up.

For the 2 and 3 you'll just have to adjust your habits

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge