Ads randomly pop up on my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what app is causing. I expect it when I'm backing out of Facebook or something but this but sometimes when I'm backing out of Gmail and right now just happened when I was making a phone call. Any way to find out which app is causing this?

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what app is causing. I expect it when I'm backing out of Facebook or something but this but sometimes when I'm backing out of Gmail and right now just happened when I was making a phone call. Any way to find out which app is causing this?
Either factory reset your phone, or get a good malware/anti-virus app.

sharpehenry

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Either factory reset your phone, or get a good malware/anti-virus app.

Do it as he says or remove all apps you've installed when you start receiving ads.
A good prevention is to read feedbacks from comment section in Google play and try not to install anything other than outside of Google play.

Posted via Android Central App

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Check the PlayStore comments for all of your free apps, especially games.

And, never install an app of any kind without at least a cursory review of the comments posted by other users.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Excellent suggestions provided above. I would also suggest a factory reset then slowly add the apps back. If the problem continues try narrowing it to the last installed app.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Where is the ad showing up? Is it in the notification bar? if so, long press on it, and find out which app it is from, and then, either remove that app, or disable notifications from it.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I used to get a lot of ads that were pushed through by my cell company, Telcel. It was far worse when I had a Samsung but since I got the Nexus 5 it's been almost zero.

I'm not a "social media" person but I signed up with Facebook many months go on my computer. When I decided to leave Facebook it was a nightmare. Talk about clinging.

Alex Babel

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Before factory resetting!!!!! Try going into your browser and deleting your cache, cookies, history, etc. This is part of what you would do if you kept getting ads on your computer and it worked for me so the ads may have come from something you clicked on in a browser session. Try anything before factory resetting and if you do reset then SAVE and BACK UP everything that's important to you...

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Before factory resetting!!!!! Try going into your browser and deleting your cache, cookies, history, etc. This is part of what you would do if you kept getting ads on your computer and it worked for me so the ads may have come from something you clicked on in a browser session. Try anything before factory resetting and if you do reset then SAVE and BACK UP everything that's important to you...

I agree. I don't understand how people can be so quick to factory reset. What a major inconvenience.

mbillings1007

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
If you are still having the problem. It in the future. Before factory resting. Go into settings, accounts, google, and then there should be a button that says ads. When you click on it there should be an option to opt out of interest based ads. Solved the issue for me.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I don't understand how people can be so quick to factory reset. What a major inconvenience.

If something melicious is on your phone, factory reset is highly recommended considering the amount of personal information you access and store on the device. Clearing caches, cookies and other forms of temporary easily removable hosts are possible...but usually the worst create some damage or perform changes to the register which is a big concern. If i kept getting Ads on my phone, factory reset would likely be my go to for piece of mind.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's an app or malware though. I've had it happen where rather than exit to my home screen, it will open up another app instead, usually the next one on my app history. Been happening since the first 4.4 patch for me. The upgrade to 5.0.1 has reduced it, but it's still done it twice.

DougEssbee

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I too have been having the same problem. I installed Avast Security and also Avast Grime Cleaner. Did not work. It is not a virus.
I have an S4. I opened my Google browser. Then settings, then site settings, then all sites. Along with Google there was another. I forget what it said, but I disallowed it and now everything has been fine for the past few hours. My phone is faster now too.

chetcobra21

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Tried same... I hope this fixes issue for me. Going to monitor my phone for couple of days/weeks.
But when I read about this opt out of interest based ads.. it says it will still show Ads but now it can show any ad...without considering my interest.

chetcobra21

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
option to opt out of interest based ads - did not work for me :(
I noticed one thing that at the bottom of the ad - it says "ad by google". When I touched that it took me to google's interest based ads page. So I think it is after android upgrade only.

I can't believe google will take such a stupid step to display ad on home screen at any time... It's hardly once or twice in a day.. but still...

Let me know if anybody find out a way to stop this popup.

Shazmar

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Same thing has been happening to me - started about 3 weeks ago. Have tried the suggested options (Google Opt out, downloaded an app to find the responsible app and uninstalled it) but still seem to be getting them and can't find the culprit. Have just gone through and uninstalled a load of apps so will see what happens now.

If anyone finds a reason or solution it would be great to here it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay