06-02-2014 02:29 AM
68 123
tools
    It sounds like you know your stuff with Apple so I'm going to ask you.

My sister and I purchased an ipad 2nd gen awhile ago for my father. Just a few months ago, I decided to use it to show a potential employer my work with PDF's (sketches/artwork) and JPG (pictures of finished projects) files since I don't have a tablet. I wanted to make a separate folder within the ipad that I could access quickly and show the interviewer my work. How would you go about creating such a folder where it would consist of a PDF followed by an EPS and so on and so on? I had 12 PDF files and 12 JPG files. They would be alternating.....PDF (artwork done on illustrator) followed by a JPG (picture of finished project). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Just download any files app like File Browser and you can do what you described.
    05-31-2014 02:22 PM
    You basically have to use iTunes as a file manager for Apple devices. It was a pain for me too.

Supposedly iOS7 allows drag and drop, but I don't know how to use it.
    That's only for pictures.
    05-31-2014 04:12 PM
    Ok ok...Due to a total brain fart and lack of Fatherly Will-Power I gave in and got her a 5s...I never saw one until she had it home from BB. Now don't get me wrong it is a beautiful device BUT THAT'S WHERE IT ENDS FOR ME!!! I cant for the life of me figure out how to get her songs and movies on there? I took a half a day off and still cant figure it out? LOL...with my N5 or Android tablets its pretty cut and dry for me. The pc drag and drop or open google drive and it works so flawlessly...Not on the iPhone its almost like its on LOCK DOWN!!! On the Iphone Google drive doesn't recognize the file type..I tried to load the files on iTunes? No dice, wrong file type...Anyone know a site for Dummies to walk-through how to get songs and movies on the Iphone? Now I remember why I love my Android N5. Thanks.
    2 things I have to say. Make an appointment at an Apple Store or tell your daughter to do it herself. Kids are good at this kind of stuff better than the adults sometimes.
    05-31-2014 04:14 PM
    It sounds like you know your stuff with Apple so I'm going to ask you.

My sister and I purchased an ipad 2nd gen awhile ago for my father. Just a few months ago, I decided to use it to show a potential employer my work with PDF's (sketches/artwork) and JPG (pictures of finished projects) files since I don't have a tablet. I wanted to make a separate folder within the ipad that I could access quickly and show the interviewer my work. How would you go about creating such a folder where it would consist of a PDF followed by an EPS and so on and so on? I had 12 PDF files and 12 JPG files. They would be alternating.....PDF (artwork done on illustrator) followed by a JPG (picture of finished project). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Lots of apps will allow you to do this. Here's a couple. iTunes is not even required to drag and drop files. I'm not sure why people don't take time to search for apps.

This one is a simple app with the basic features.

This app is a more robust one that has a lot of features.
    05-31-2014 04:23 PM
    Duplicate. Mods can delete.
    05-31-2014 04:25 PM
    Just download any files app like File Browser and you can do what you described.
    Lots of apps will allow you to do this. Here's a couple. iTunes is not even required to drag and drop files. I'm not sure why people don't take time to search for apps.

This one is a simple app with the basic features.

This app is a more robust one that has a lot of features.
    Thank you guys! Much appreciated!

The way someone at the time told me how to do it was to use PowerPoint and then email it to myself and open it up in my iPad. I taught it was quite a lot of work to do that but it worked.

I will def try out those apps in the future so thank you for the suggestions!

Posted via Android Central App
    06-01-2014 12:16 AM
    Is this your help?!? or are you admitting that you can't help me?? How would you do it?
    teachmeios.com/

Heh, well it took Apple YEARS but you can put docs in a subfolder by dragstacking them together. And a program like Documents 5 may ease some of your other hassles. It will work okay, but it's still only an iPad.
    06-01-2014 01:16 AM
    I can't believe this thread has got so far with people talking about how good iTunes compared to anything on Android etc, and nobody has mentioned Airdroid. I used iTunes for years with my iPhone but Airdroid with Android phones is just something else. If you have not yet discovered it then run to it, don't walk.

No special software is required on your PC (I use linux after all). It just uses a modern browser and gives you drag and drop to/from all the content on your phone. It has much more functionality than that though. Truely fantastic free software.
    06-01-2014 03:35 AM
    I can't believe this thread has got so far with people talking about how good iTunes compared to anything on Android etc, and nobody has mentioned Airdroid. I used iTunes for years with my iPhone but Airdroid with Android phones is just something else. If you have not yet discovered it then run to it, don't walk.

No special software is required on your PC (I use linux after all). It just uses a modern browser and gives you drag and drop to/from all the content on your phone. It has much more functionality than that though. Truely fantastic free software.
    AirDroid is nice, but there are similar apps on iOS too that require running in the foreground though. There are so many apps for that on iOS and they do not require any software on PC..
    iTunes is amazing and is the centre of the Apple ecosystem...
    06-01-2014 07:34 AM
    @crxssi @bulletmark OK this is a bit off topic but thank the lord that I can meet so many enlightened ones like myself, running Linux, in a place not meant for Linux.
    But OP if you want drag and drop personally if I were stuck with an iPoop I would just jailbreak or get an mp3 prayer from the app store like I did when I was 9 with the then-new iPoop touch 4.. Eeh them were the days.

From mah shiny new Nexus 5
    06-01-2014 08:00 AM
    @crxssi @bulletmark OK this is a bit off topic but thank the lord that I can meet so many enlightened ones like myself, running Linux, in a place not meant for Linux.
    But OP if you want drag and drop personally if I were stuck with an iPoop I would just jailbreak or get an mp3 prayer from the app store like I did when I was 9 with the then-new iPoop touch 4.. Eeh them were the days.

From mah shiny new Nexus 5
    Your knowledge of drag and drop with iDevices is obviously limited. If the iDevice is connected to the same WiFi network as your computer, you can simply use your browser to upload files to the iDevice by drag and drop.

It's funny how a lot of Android users continuously bash Apple for being locked down and for consumers who aren't tech savvy enough to handle an Android device but then turn around and complain how complicated it is to upload files to an iDevice. Which one is it? Too simple or too complicated.
    06-01-2014 10:53 AM
    If the iDevice is connected to the same WiFi network as your computer, you can simply use your browser to upload files to the iDevice by drag and drop. It's funny how a lot of Android users continuously bash Apple for being locked down and for consumers who aren't tech savvy enough to handle an Android device but then turn around and complain how complicated it is to upload files to an iDevice.
    In fairness, let's not attempt to re-write history. For most of the life of "iDevices" (as you put it), they have, indeed, been extremely locked down, restricted, and dependent on proprietary software. Only in the last perhaps quarter of their existence have things been loosening up... and that is mostly due to third-party solutions and also Apple losing marketshare and having to adapt. For example, the only way Linux users could "talk" to an ipod for many years was using a special program by third-parties such as gtkpod https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gtkpod And with iphones and ipads, it wasn't possible to do much of anything without also having iTunes on an MS-Windows or MacOS computer until iOS 5 came out (just three years ago).

So people complaining that Apple products require non-FOSS computers and software or can't file transfer are wrong because they are working on outdated information. But they were certainly correct up until a few years ago.
    06-01-2014 12:08 PM
    In fairness, let's not attempt to re-write history. For most of the life of "iDevices" (as you put it), they have, indeed, been extremely locked down, restricted, and dependent on proprietary software. Only in the last perhaps quarter of their existence have things been loosening up... and that is mostly due to third-party solutions and also Apple losing marketshare and having to adapt. For example, the only way Linux users could "talk" to an ipod for many years was using a special program by third-parties such as gtkpod https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gtkpod And with iphones and ipads, it wasn't possible to do much of anything without also having iTunes on an MS-Windows or MacOS computer until iOS 5 came out (just three years ago).

So people complaining that Apple products require non-FOSS computers and software or can't file transfer are wrong because they are working on outdated information. But they were certainly correct up until a few years ago.
    So it's ok to keep living in the past? Is it ok for Android haters to keep bringing up how laggy Android was up until Project Butter? Is it ok for Android haters to keep bringing up how buggy Android was even though most bugs have been ironed out?
    06-01-2014 12:39 PM
    Every time you use an iPhone millions of nanobots die. Think about the little nanobots :-(
    Bigballer likes this.
    06-01-2014 12:47 PM
    So it's ok to keep living in the past? Is it ok for Android haters to keep bringing up how laggy Android was up until Project Butter? Is it ok for Android haters to keep bringing up how buggy Android was even though most bugs have been ironed out?
    No more or less so than with Apple stuff, correct. I am not defending nor promoting iOS/Apple bashing in any way. I am just endeavoring to explain why it might be prevalent, especially for people on particular platforms.

Although, there is a difference between comparing what Apple intentionally designed on one hand, to what amounts to Android bugs/inefficiencies on the other.
    06-01-2014 02:16 PM
    I recently tried to add $$ to my iTunes acct so my son could buy a book. I didn't want to add a CC to it, just some funds.

So eff'n ridiculous, the hoops I had to jump thru to do something seemingly so simple!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    06-01-2014 06:43 PM
    Its funny how the FanBoi's are telling me how easy it is...Well I'm glad to see by these posts it is harder than they make it seem...And I agree I'm not wasting anymore time and Hoop Jumping on trying to transfer something that should just be SIMPLE to begin with. I thought for sure sending everything to Google Drive would solve the problem. Google Drive works on my PC, my two different tablets, my N5 etc...Google Drive, its in the App store but nothing works?
    06-01-2014 07:38 PM
    Apparently we mostly missed Jerry's comments about keeping things civil. As a reminder, personal attacks/insults, trolling (including calling others trolls), inappropriate language and other disruptive posting behaviors should be avoided. If you have something useful to contribute and can do so in a respectful way, by all means contribute productive discussion. On the flip side, if you don't have anything other than trolling to contribute it is best to move on and say nothing.
    davidnc likes this.
    06-02-2014 02:29 AM
68 123