My daughters iPhone 5s...I want it GONE!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok ok...Due to a total brain fart and lack of Fatherly Will-Power I gave in and got her a 5s...I never saw one until she had it home from BB. Now don't get me wrong it is a beautiful device BUT THAT'S WHERE IT ENDS FOR ME!!! I cant for the life of me figure out how to get her songs and movies on there? I took a half a day off and still cant figure it out? LOL...with my N5 or Android tablets its pretty cut and dry for me. The pc drag and drop or open google drive and it works so flawlessly...Not on the iPhone its almost like its on LOCK DOWN!!! On the Iphone Google drive doesn't recognize the file type..I tried to load the files on iTunes? No dice, wrong file type...Anyone know a site for Dummies to walk-through how to get songs and movies on the Iphone? Now I remember why I love my Android N5. Thanks.:)

iCan't is a common issue. iTunes is okay, but handles importing poorly. Messes up your playlists, duplicates files repeatedly, file type issues (and the iOS devices cannot accept any additional codecs beyond what is stock). And you NEED ITUNES to check the purchase history for your iOS gadgets.

To get your daughter's training-wheels phone running right, you will need to batch-reencode any incompatible files first into iPod compatible or similar. You will need to memorize problematic features like the physical mute slider. You will need to get a couple audio and video reencoding profiles. Get used to it and things will improve.

mjs416

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iPhone media sync hell that is itunes O.P. I dont even bother with it anymore on my ipad or my wifes iphone. We use Spotify, Netflix and Hulu to the extent possible for our media consumption. Any shortcomings of Netflix and Hulu is outweighed by not having to use POS itunes.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
There is some really good advice on here.

The songs are pretty easy - install iTunes and then drag and drop the mp3s into iTunes and it will convert them to AAC.

Movies are a bit trickier. If it is a supported movie file, then you can go to iTunes and add the file to your iTunes library via the Video tab. If not then you have to convert the file using 3rd party software like Handbrake or download a 3rd party app that will play the movie/sync the movie to be played by the app via iTunes (this sounds harder than it really is).

It sounds like you know your stuff with Apple so I'm going to ask you.

My sister and I purchased an ipad 2nd gen awhile ago for my father. Just a few months ago, I decided to use it to show a potential employer my work with PDF's (sketches/artwork) and JPG (pictures of finished projects) files since I don't have a tablet. I wanted to make a separate folder within the ipad that I could access quickly and show the interviewer my work. How would you go about creating such a folder where it would consist of a PDF followed by an EPS and so on and so on? I had 12 PDF files and 12 JPG files. They would be alternating.....PDF (artwork done on illustrator) followed by a JPG (picture of finished project). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I just came to Android this month from having an iPhone 4S for four years. My home computer is a PC, not Apple. The reason I switched was that I felt like I was constantly refereeing a fight between the PC and the iPhone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How I remember those days. Every time I backed up or Updated my iPhone IOS to iTunes on my HP Windows laptop it disabled my CD player and microphone on the laptop with some type of registry entries. I would have to take my personal laptop to work and pay the guys in the help desk $20 to fix my registry entries to use my CD player. Then iTunes when OTA and I moved my backup to the cloud. That resulted in all my CD music getting deleted unless I paid Apple $25 a year. Apples help line or Genius Bar advice was telling me to only buy Apple products. I just got rid of Apple and the issues fixed itself.

on 64 bit windows 7 after installing update for itunes my dvd drive - Microsoft Community

Last edited:

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
The big problem I find with iTunes and Apple products is the limited file support. There are very, very few video formats and several glaring omissions on the audio front (FLAC anyone?). Converting is never cut and dry for the general masses - video conversion can be a real headache even for those who are knowledgeable (maybe it's worse for those of us that are because we see the drop in quality with incorrect settings). With Apple you're really stuck with what they want and their ecosystem.

This is coming from a pleased iPad 4 64GB WiFi owner.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

th3b3

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Maybe watch a vid on youtube there are 100s of tutorials about itunes. Even better watch it with your daughter for some daddy and daughter time! Now you both will know how to use itunes! Had to go through the same thing when mine went from Nexus4 to iphone 5s.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
@ OP. Simple solution....take it back and get Android. iCrap is nothing but a headache unless you go all iCrap. :D

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
How I remember those days. Every time I backed up or Updated my iPhone IOS to iTunes on my HP Windows laptop it disabled my CD player and microphone on the laptop with some type of registry entries. I would have to take my personal laptop to work and pay the guys in the help desk $20 to fix my registry entries to use my CD player. Then iTunes when OTA and I moved my backup to the cloud. That resulted in all my CD music getting deleted unless I paid Apple $25 a year. Apples help line or Genius Bar advice was the same which was only buy Apple products. I just got rid of Apple and the issues fixed itself.

on 64 bit windows 7 after installing update for itunes my dvd drive - Microsoft Community

These are called 'filters'. The most commonly broken is access to the optical drive, yes. There are some really bad programmers out there.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site

My sister and I purchased an ipad 2nd gen awhile ago for my father. Just a few months ago, I decided to use it to show a potential employer my work with PDF's (sketches/artwork) and JPG (pictures of finished projects) files since I don't have a tablet. I wanted to make a separate folder within the ipad that I could access quickly and show the interviewer my work. How would you go about creating such a folder where it would consist of a PDF followed by an EPS and so on and so on? I had 12 PDF files and 12 JPG files. They would be alternating.....PDF (artwork done on illustrator) followed by a JPG (picture of finished project). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wow, next you'd be wanting to save a file under a new name in iOffice.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Just download any files app like File Browser and you can do what you described.

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok ok...Due to a total brain fart and lack of Fatherly Will-Power I gave in and got her a 5s...I never saw one until she had it home from BB. Now don't get me wrong it is a beautiful device BUT THAT'S WHERE IT ENDS FOR ME!!! I cant for the life of me figure out how to get her songs and movies on there? I took a half a day off and still cant figure it out? LOL...with my N5 or Android tablets its pretty cut and dry for me. The pc drag and drop or open google drive and it works so flawlessly...Not on the iPhone its almost like its on LOCK DOWN!!! On the Iphone Google drive doesn't recognize the file type..I tried to load the files on iTunes? No dice, wrong file type...Anyone know a site for Dummies to walk-through how to get songs and movies on the Iphone? Now I remember why I love my Android N5. Thanks.:)

2 things I have to say. Make an appointment at an Apple Store or tell your daughter to do it herself. Kids are good at this kind of stuff better than the adults sometimes.:)

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

Lots of apps will allow you to do this. Here's a couple. iTunes is not even required to drag and drop files. I'm not sure why people don't take time to search for apps.

This one is a simple app with the basic features.

This app is a more robust one that has a lot of features.

Last edited:

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Just download any files app like File Browser and you can do what you described.

Lots of apps will allow you to do this. Here's a couple. iTunes is not even required to drag and drop files. I'm not sure why people don't take time to search for apps.

This one is a simple app with the basic features.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bjO2sLw2AU

This app is a more robust one that has a lot of features.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJk8ShDLRGM

Thank you guys! Much appreciated!

The way someone at the time told me how to do it was to use PowerPoint and then email it to myself and open it up in my iPad. I taught it was quite a lot of work to do that but it worked.

I will def try out those apps in the future so thank you for the suggestions!

Posted via Android Central App

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Is this your help?!? or are you admitting that you can't help me?? How would you do it?

teachmeios.com/

Heh, well it took Apple YEARS but you can put docs in a subfolder by dragstacking them together. And a program like Documents 5 may ease some of your other hassles. It will work okay, but it's still only an iPad.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe this thread has got so far with people talking about how good iTunes compared to anything on Android etc, and nobody has mentioned Airdroid. I used iTunes for years with my iPhone but Airdroid with Android phones is just something else. If you have not yet discovered it then run to it, don't walk.

No special software is required on your PC (I use linux after all). It just uses a modern browser and gives you drag and drop to/from all the content on your phone. It has much more functionality than that though. Truely fantastic free software.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I can't believe this thread has got so far with people talking about how good iTunes compared to anything on Android etc, and nobody has mentioned Airdroid. I used iTunes for years with my iPhone but Airdroid with Android phones is just something else. If you have not yet discovered it then run to it, don't walk.

No special software is required on your PC (I use linux after all). It just uses a modern browser and gives you drag and drop to/from all the content on your phone. It has much more functionality than that though. Truely fantastic free software.

AirDroid is nice, but there are similar apps on iOS too that require running in the foreground though. There are so many apps for that on iOS and they do not require any software on PC..
iTunes is amazing and is the centre of the Apple ecosystem...

techydavid

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
@crxssi @bulletmark OK this is a bit off topic but thank the lord that I can meet so many enlightened ones like myself, running Linux, in a place not meant for Linux.
But OP if you want drag and drop personally if I were stuck with an iPoop I would just jailbreak or get an mp3 prayer from the app store like I did when I was 9 with the then-new iPoop touch 4.. Eeh them were the days.

From mah shiny new Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol