Battery Drain question: Google Keyboard

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
So I recently dropped and broke my G2. Luckily, I had not yet sold my N5, so I'm back to it. When I first started using it again, everything seemed okay. But after about a week, I've noticed that my battery life just absolutely sucks. I downloaded the Battery Doctor app (which honestly doesn't seem to help much) and one thing it shows is the rank of power consumption. According to the app, about 28% of the power consumption is from the Google Keyboard. Is that normal? That seems ridiculously high to me.

Anyway, any suggestions on improving the battery life would be appreciated? Good apps that will help, etc. (I am not rooted -- and frankly probably won't root this phone).

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Have you been doing a lot of typing? If you have keypress vibrate option on and you're typing a lot, that can actually use up a decent amount of battery. Otherwise, reboot and see if the keyboard continues to use that much battery.

Other battery tips here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...how-tos/298919-guide-battery-saving-tips.html

I hate keypress vibrate. It's literally the first thing I deactivate on a new phone. And I don't think I've been doing that much typing. I text some -- but definitely not what I would consider a lot -- especially compared to most other people I know. Maybe 30% is normal. It just struck me as an awfully high percentage.

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Ok, then try a reboot and see if the keyboard still uses that much battery .

I did and it isn't at a high % now. So...something else is up I guess. It's 1:20 pm and I'm at 39% charge. I've sent about 10 text messages and played a word game for maybe 5 minutes total screen time. My screen has been off for almost the entire day. Something is very, very wrong.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Charge it up fully, then use it normally until you're down to about 30%, and then post a screenshot of your Settings>Battery screens. It'd be good to see the breakdown of app % battery usage, the full graph (tap it to make it fullscreen), and if you see a Cell Standby category, tap that so we can see any Time Without Signal (if your cell signal is weak, that can kill your battery).

Make sure your system is up to date, and also make sure your Google apps are up to date. Maybe you're using an old Google Keyboard version. Remember that sometimes, a Google system app that has never been updated won't prompt you for an update in the Google Play Store--you have to search for that app and tap the Update button there if one is available.

If all of that doesn't help, try clearing the cache partition, which can sometimes help odd things like this. No personal data will be lost. Keep in mind that on the N5, the cache wipe can take upwards of 10 minutes, so be patient. http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-rooting-roms-hacks/352008-guide-nexus-5-recovery.html