Updating Your [Unlocked] Nexus 5 to 4.4.3

glc650

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Also, for folks who are rooted, and unlocked bootloader, if you don't want to wait for OTA, you should be able to follow these steps below - this should not wipe your user data.

1. Download & install fastboot if you don't already have it - Dev-Host - AndroidSDKSlim.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service (courtesy xda mod El Daddy xda-developers - View Profile: El Daddy)
  2. Download factory image from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerheadktu84m
  3. Extract the boot, system and radio factory images from the factory image (winzip or 7 zip) to fastboot folder
  4. Download Superuser from SuperSU Download and save it to your phone's sd card
  5. Power off, and power back on while holding volume down key to go into bootloader - connect to USB port on computer
  6. On computer, open command prompt and CD to fastboot
  7. Enter "fastboot devices" (without quotes) to see if device is connected (you should see serial# being returned). If not, check USB cable/port
  8. Enter "fastboot flash boot boot.img" without quotes
  9. Enter "fastboot flash radio radio-hammerhead-m8974a-2.0.50.1.13.img" without quotes
  10. Enter "fastboot flash system system.img"
  11. Use volume keys to boot to TWRP recovery
  12. Flash previously downloaded SU zip
  13. Reboot
This worked for me with rooted Nexus 5 with TWRP but everything else stock.

Richard Vier

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Huh. Something interesting(?) happened to my nexus 5. This is my first time doing a system update on a rooted phone, last one (htc one s) had cyogenmod on it, but I didn't have it long enough to update or change the rom flash.

Anyway, got the notification that a system update was available. I downloaded and selected "reboot and install". When my phone rebooted, it booted in to my TWRP recovery. Not knowing what to do I went to system reboot. When going to about phone, I'm still running v.4.4.2. Still have root access. Any ideas? Looking for path of least resistance here. I have a bathroom to paint today.

What are your thoughts? What obvious thing did I miss? Thanks guys!

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I found a flashable zip of the full 4.4.3 and flashed it that way, but either way works. Next time, no pulling off built in apps for me.

jball32

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If you are all on the stock ROM, rooted, with custom recovery, you can just get the OTA zip file, put it on your phone, reboot to recovery, and flash it from there. No need to even use ADB/Fastboot.
(Before doing this, If you have modified any system file, or uninstalled system apps, this won't work - you need to get back to stock first - this can be done using ADB/Fastboot read more here . If you have XPosed installed, you will need to uninstall XPosed from within XPosed - don't uninstall XPosed from Android settings)

Definitely easier using custom recovery for sure.
Now in my case I didn't uninstall anything (Xposed,Gravitybox,ect.)to flash the OTA zip.
I did have to switch from TWRP recovery to Philz recovery and it flashed successful with not one issue to date

Nexus 5 via Android Central App

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Now in my case I didn't uninstall anything (Xposed,Gravitybox,ect.)to flash the OTA zip.
I did have to switch from TWRP recovery to Philz recovery and it flashed successful with not one issue to date

Hmm - are you saying you had XPosed installed (and active), and you were able to flash the OTA.zip in recovery without a problem? From what I know, that should not be possible, because XPosed modifies a system file and the 4.4.3 OTA will not work with that specific system file being modified.
Curious to know how you did it, unless the file you flashed was not just the OTA.zip, but also included the system image (without user data img of course)

jball32

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Ah, ok - that makes sense - this is the full ROM (not just the OTA which is incremental), and so, it doesn't matter what changes you made to your OS - everything would have gotten cleaned out.

Other than the dialer, contacts,radio there's not really much different so to go with a clean official image I definitely took the short cut and kept all I have.now I'm on rastakat 4.4.3 stock ui

Shir Hilel

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Huh. Something interesting(?) happened to my nexus 5. This is my first time doing a system update on a rooted phone, last one (htc one s) had cyogenmod on it, but I didn't have it long enough to update or change the rom flash.

Anyway, got the notification that a system update was available. I downloaded and selected "reboot and install". When my phone rebooted, it booted in to my TWRP recovery. Not knowing what to do I went to system reboot. When going to about phone, I'm still running v.4.4.2. Still have root access. Any ideas? Looking for path of least resistance here.

I Have the same problem.
any answer?
Thanks

Last edited:

jball32

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Anyway, got the notification that a system update was available. I downloaded and selected "reboot and install". When my phone rebooted, it booted in to my TWRP recovery. Not knowing what to do I went to system reboot. When going to about phone, I'm still running v.4.4.2. Still have root access. Any ideas? Looking for path of least resistance here.

I Have the same problem.
any answer?
Thanks

Honesty I would flash the untouched 4.4.3 zip with a full wipe,format system and enjoy .

If your TWRP don't flash it than I recommend using PhilZ recovery .

Disable any Xposed framework and modules before you do anything just to be safe/sure all goes well

Shir Hilel

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Honesty I would flash the untouched 4.4.3 zip with a full wipe,format system and enjoy .

If your TWRP don't flash it than I recommend using PhilZ recovery .

Disable any Xposed framework and modules before you do anything just to be safe/sure all goes well

Honestly, I have no Idea how to do so.

any recomendacion on a guide ?

tnx

Shir