Updating Your [Unlocked] Nexus 5 to 4.4.3

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
First off I want to say that I am stoked for the 4.4.3 update. It has fixed every single bug I have previously encountered with the device. I would have to say the N5 has moved to a perfect device for me.

Now moving on to the more important matter: updating your phone. There are several ways of going about doing this. #’s 2 and 3 require you to be unlocked.

FYI: I don’t have a lot of time right this second so this will be really barebones. It is just to get those who are a bit puzzled a kick in the pants :). I will update this later on today or tomorrow when I get some more time.

You can:

1. Update OTA (Over The Air). You will have to wait until your device is selected. Hitting the ‘Check for Update’ button will not change anything. When you are selected for the update you will get a notification. You select it, hit update and it will download the update and ask for you to reboot. No further action is required. Your Nexus 5 should update and reboot. This can take upwards of 20 minutes. Be patient.

2. Sideload via ADB. Data should be preserved, but make sure you backup. I will provide further instruction when I have more time. I recommend newbies to follow #3.

3. Use the ‘Flash-All’ .bat script Google provides.
a. Download the 4.4.3 package from Google Dev. I'd link it but the forum editor is being wonky. Ill link it when I update the thread.
b. Backup – This procedure will erase everything.
b. Install Fastboot/ADB drivers.
c. Extract all of the files (including the sub .zip folder) into the ADB/Fastboot folder (platform-tools).
d. Double click the ‘Flash-All’ .bat file. Google will take care of you.​

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys! I knew the link, the editor just wouldn't let me put it in for some reason. I appreciate the help though :p.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Also, for folks who are rooted, and unlocked bootloader, if you don't want to wait for OTA, you should be able to follow these steps below - this should not wipe your user data.

1. Download & install fastboot if you don't already have it - Dev-Host - AndroidSDKSlim.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service (courtesy xda mod El Daddy xda-developers - View Profile: El Daddy)
  2. Download factory image from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerheadktu84m
  3. Extract the boot, system and radio factory images from the factory image (winzip or 7 zip) to fastboot folder
  4. Download Superuser from SuperSU Download and save it to your phone's sd card
  5. Power off, and power back on while holding volume down key to go into bootloader - connect to USB port on computer
  6. On computer, open command prompt and CD to fastboot
  7. Enter "fastboot devices" (without quotes) to see if device is connected (you should see serial# being returned). If not, check USB cable/port
  8. Enter "fastboot flash boot boot.img" without quotes
  9. Enter "fastboot flash radio radio-hammerhead-m8974a-2.0.50.1.13.img" without quotes
  10. Enter "fastboot flash system system.img"
  11. Use volume keys to boot to TWRP recovery
  12. Flash previously downloaded SU zip
  13. Reboot

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Rooted, unlocked, bootloader, erase, wipe all which erases everything confusing mess to me. I will just wait for the OTA update.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
OP, unless you have previously unlocked your phone (i.e. wiped it clean at some earlier point in it's life), option 3 is not available is it? And option 2 is not available until somebody publishes the OTA link, which AFAIK is not available yet (the OTA images are not the same as the factory images so far published by Google).

PS edit: Just checked on XDA and find the N5 OTA link has been posted there in the last few minutes - so option 2 is available for stock + locked users now.

sharpehenry

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Rooted, unlocked, bootloader, erase, wipe all which erases everything confusing mess to me. I will just wait for the OTA update.

Root/unlocked bootloader or both will still get you OTA. But you will lose root status but bootloader will still be unlocked. As long as you are with stock ROM you will get your OTA.

Posted via Android Central App

deeznutz206

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Root/unlocked bootloader or both will still get you OTA. But you will lose root status but bootloader will still be unlocked. As long as you are with stock ROM you will get your OTA.

Posted via Android Central App

I've unlocked bootloader, rooted on STOCK. I got the OTA notification and decided to update. It did its thing by downloading (90ish mb) and then rebooted. However, the android robot icon popped up that had a red exclamation point in it and the word ERROR underneath it. That's all it said. The phone wouldn't respond to any screen touches so I had to reboot it by pressing the power button for 5 seconds.

It looks like the phone is working properly but when I manually checked for the update it says my phone is up to date (but still 4.4.2) Has this happened to anyone? Will I get the OTA update notification again?

Axe

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I've unlocked bootloader, rooted on STOCK. I got the OTA notification and decided to update. It did its thing by downloading (90ish mb) and then rebooted. However, the android robot icon popped up that had a red exclamation point in it and the word ERROR underneath it. That's all it said. The phone wouldn't respond to any screen touches so I had to reboot it by pressing the power button for 5 seconds.

It looks like the phone is working properly but when I manually checked for the update it says my phone is up to date (but still 4.4.2) Has this happened to anyone? Will I get the OTA update notification again?

Same thing happened to me last night. Figured I might as well learn to fastboot flash the full images instead. Supposedly, the delta zip floating around can be flashed to work like the OTA patch update.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Same thing happened to me last night. Figured I might as well learn to fastboot flash the full images instead. Supposedly, the delta zip floating around can be flashed to work like the OTA patch update.

If you are all on the stock ROM, rooted, with custom recovery, you can just get the OTA zip file, put it on your phone, reboot to recovery, and flash it from there. No need to even use ADB/Fastboot.
(Before doing this, If you have modified any system file, or uninstalled system apps, this won't work - you need to get back to stock first - this can be done using ADB/Fastboot read more here . If you have XPosed installed, you will need to uninstall XPosed from within XPosed - don't uninstall XPosed from Android settings)