Nexus 5 Android 4.4.3 Radio

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
i'm in dc with the update, b41 & b26 can't keep their hands off me..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o7V6fT13FdU2FteVR1aXE2c2s/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o7V6fT13FdY0tpSzItMjVHX1U/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o7V6fT13FdWEdtVHlLVDNEYms/edit?usp=sharing

that's the elusive band 41, that i only got in my bedroom at home one morning at 4am, about 16mb dl.. (i had enabled the extra bands already with my MSL) - Sprint Tri-band activation help? - Pg. 15 | Google Nexus 5 | xda-developers & thought i was smooth sailing..

come to find out after the 4.4.3 official update, b41 was EVERYWHERE like ghosts.. i took those speed tests walking up 14 street by the tivoli..

mclasser

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
My signal is the same as before on both 3G and LTE. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Sent from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Mine seems to have gotten worse :(

Not getting any service in spots service was great and more dropped calls on areas I never had issues in. Also had some Tasker tasks that used cell towers and service to turn on/off Wi-Fi. Worked 100% on 4.4.2 and after the update it works maybe 33% of the time.

Posted via Android Central App

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Since the update LTE on at&t has been strange, at my house I had two bars, (approximately - 106dBms) before 4.4.3 and it is exactly the same post 4.4.3.

At an intersection in town where LTE was weak (approximately
-109dBms) my Nexus 5 is dropping down to HSPA+, but not reverting to LTE once I drive about midway to the next intersection where an at&t cell site is located with LTE.

Not exactly sure what it going, when I was in San Francisco my LTE was all over the place, but I am not familiar with at&t LTE coverage in San Francisco to know if things are different since 4.4.3.

Dan

psciandra

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine is definitely worse. I am on AT&T in Atlanta but last 3 days been to Charlotte and New Jersey and no back to Atlanta. So erratic dropping down to H not going back to LTE.....I would say way worse and needs to be fixed

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Just so everyone knows: some radios are better for some than others. The results can vary among location, carrier, and tower configuration.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Just so everyone knows: some radios are better for some than others. The results can vary among location, carrier, and tower configuration.

I agree, but if someone's phone was getting a strong signal before the update then it would make sense that they should get the same signal after the update, unless Google changed the radio file, if they did, then that would be a reception problem that was induced by the update to 4.4.3

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I know for a fact that my phone reception and signal and my LTE signal have all gotten worst after the update and I did a clean factory reset before the update and only loaded a few nessecary apps to see how the phone was going to work after updating. It is definitely not what it was prior to updating. I can not feel confident that I will not miss calls or emails through out the day anymore, luckily I have other phones to use as I can not count in my Nexus the way it is now.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree, but if someone's phone was getting a strong signal before the update then it would make sense that they should get the same signal after the update, unless Google changed the radio file, if they did, then that would be a reception problem that was induced by the update to 4.4.3

The radio was changed: one of the biggest changes in 4.4.3. If you change it to make it better for some you may make it worse for others. It's not a problem with the update its a problem with the technology. Though going from perfect signal to awful would not be a normal variation. I do know I have been pleased with the new radio.

bayou bandit

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
After 3 days on 4.4.3, I can definitely say that I have seen an improvement in my N5's signal reception on AT&T. I work in an old concrete building in Pensacola, and prior to the update, I struggled to maintain 3g, and would often drop to Edge while sitting at my desk. It was like the phone was constantly searching. And before, I never had LTE sitting at my desk. I figured it was all because of my building that I work in. I now have LTE all through the building, and have noticed that the phone isn't constantly searching for a better signal. It can lock it in, and maintain a strong signal now. I'm much happier.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Only 1 full day so far, but I'm getting better signal with Sprint. Might be true tri-band support. Not getting Spark speeds, but better signal and data in places where I did not earlier.

psciandra

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine is definitely worse. I am on AT&T in Atlanta but last 3 days been to Charlotte and New Jersey and no back to Atlanta. So erratic dropping down to H not going back to LTE.....I would say way worse and needs to be fixed

Now in Jacksonville for few days and same crap, I have to reboot to pickup signal again sometimes. Never had problem before the 4.4.3 update!