Notification of new message or call?

Ilfracombe

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm an immigrant to Android from iOS.

On my iPhone, whenever there is an incoming call that I didn't answer, or a new message, there is always a very visible notification on the phone desktop, so I can deal with it immediately. This doesn't seem to be happening with my Nexus 5. Sometimes I don't discover the message, which was obviously designed for immediate reading, until days after, when I am going through my messages.
I'm sure there must be a way to make the phone let me know, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Ilfracombe

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, but I don't really see how the Notification screen helps. If I have to pull down the notification screen in order to check if I have a message, then I might as well open the message application itself.
But thanks for the Notifyer suggestion: the blurb says that it provides notifications in the same way that the iPhone does, which is just what I was looking for. Hope it works

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't have to pull down the notification shade. After a missed call, there should be a small symbol at the very top left of the screen - looks a bit like a telephone handset. If the caller left a voicemail you should also see a symbol that looks like two circles connected by a line across the top - like reel to reel tape cassette.

If you are not seeing these, the question becomes have you installed an app which messes about with the notification bar?

Ilfracombe

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Is that so? Well, you live and learn. There is always so much junk on that notifications bar that I just don't know what's what. More or less ignore it. What's the sign for a message?
Actually, I like the look of Lock Screen Notifications. That almost replicates the behaviour of the iPhone in that respect.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Here you go:

Screenshot_2014-06-08-07-09-03.jpg

The one on the far left is the voicemail notification; next to it is the missed call icon.

PS: Yes, they are present on the lock screen as well.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. You don't happen to know what the icon for missed message is, do you?

The icon depends on what messaging app you're using. If you use Hangouts, the icon looks like a speech balloon with a big quotes sign in it.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Is that so? Well, you live and learn. There is always so much junk on that notifications bar that I just don't know what's what. More or less ignore it. What's the sign for a message?
Actually, I like the look of Lock Screen Notifications. That almost replicates the behaviour of the iPhone in that respect.

I have a few friends who, when they were new to Android, would have a lot of stuff on their notification bar. They didn't know what they were and ignored them. When they learned what it was they went through them and cleared them out.. Missed calls, voice mail, app updates, text messages, etc. Once they were cleared out they found it very easy to keep up with the notifications and find them to be quite helpful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ilfracombe

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
You seem like a smart guy - you could always do what I do and just Google it.

Well yes, perhaps I was being a tad lazy there. However, I think this is about the best way to get such info. It's part of an ongoing dialogue between willing participants, and you were kind enough to provide me with a recommendation for a good help site. There are many out there, and they are not all good. A short-cut to quality is always appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech