Nexus 5 still a good purchase?

Marute

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
My old phone won't last much longer and I've been looking at the Nexus 5 to replace it for two reasons primarily:

1. Stock Android - gotta get 'dem software updates for as long as possible as reliably as possible.

2. Price - it costs 442USD the cheapest place I could find in Denmark, which is about half price of what a similar flagship would cost here.

I haven't had an Android phone before so I'm only somewhat familiar with the OS but that doesn't worry me. However, since the Nexus 5 was released last fall, I'm curious if it's still a good device to buy? Already out dated or will it run strong, fast, updated and supported for the next many years to come?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My old phone won't last much longer and I've been looking at the Nexus 5 to replace it for two reasons primarily:

1. Stock Android - gotta get 'dem software updates for as long as possible as reliably as possible.

2. Price - it costs 442USD the cheapest place I could find in Denmark, which is about half price of what a similar flagship would cost here.

I haven't had an Android phone before so I'm only somewhat familiar with the OS but that doesn't worry me. However, since the Nexus 5 was released last fall, I'm curious if it's still a good device to buy? Already out dated or will it run strong, fast, updated and supported for the next many years to come?

I think it will be supported for quite some time. The Galaxy Nexus is now close to 3 years old and they stopped supporting that. So, if that is to be used as a measurement, you should have 2 more years left to use the N5. I would say get it.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

For that price range, yeah, the Nexus 5 is as good as it gets. The UI is still the fastest and smoothest I have seen on any phone so far, even phones with better hardware. I would say it's camera is still in the top 5 (the G3's is definitely better, and the Oneplus's is probably better too). It takes higher res and less washed out pictures than the M8...and better lowlight than the S5. It will probably be supported longer than any other phone out right now, with the possible exception of the OnePlus.

Google claims guaranteed support for 18 months, but historically, it has always been longer than that.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I think it will be supported for quite some time. The Galaxy Nexus is now close to 3 years old and they stopped supporting that. So, if that is to be used as a measurement, you should have 2 more years left to use the N5. I would say get it.
Keep in mind the GNex had 3 different versions as well, so there were some issues with it. That said, it stopped short of getting Kit Kat. There's a good chance any new Nexus device will still always be more up to date than any other phone on the market today, just because other manufactures quit supporting them too, and are behind the curve of the Nexus anyway.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 5 has two things in its favour...it's good, and it's inexpensive. What more could you ask for? Have never regretted buying one. Carphone Warehouse are offering them for £250 at the moment and I've been tempted to buy another as a spare. Yes, I am that much of an *****.

Posted via Android Central App

Marute

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Great to hear. I think it'll be my next phone quite soon. :)

I'm wondering if Google have anything up their sleeve right around the corner that I ought to wait for before making my investment? New devices, announcements, anything?

I'm not really updated on the whole no-nexus6-but-android-silver-thing?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Great to hear. I think it'll be my next phone quite soon. :)

I'm wondering if Google have anything up their sleeve right around the corner that I ought to wait for before making my investment? New devices, announcements, anything?

I'm not really updated on the whole no-nexus6-but-android-silver-thing?

Google does a pretty good job of keeping the next devices under wraps.

Signed, XenonRom, Nexus 5 and AC Forums App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Google guarantees updates for 18 months from release for Nexus.

"Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10 receive the latest version of Android directly from Google. Once an update is available, it can take up to two weeks for it to reach your device.

Devices may not receive the latest version of Android if they fall outside of the update window, traditionally around 18 months after a device release."

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Google guarantees updates for 18 months from release for Nexus.

"Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10 receive the latest version of Android directly from Google. Once an update is available, it can take up to two weeks for it to reach your device.

Devices may not receive the latest version of Android if they fall outside of the update window, traditionally around 18 months after a device release."

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en

Still better than other vendors, who usually don't guarantee anything. Samsung's been surprisingly good, but that's about where it seems to end.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Still better than other vendors, who usually don't guarantee anything. Samsung's been surprisingly good, but that's about where it seems to end.

Sure no disagreement there. Just pointing out that Google guarantees 18 months updates. So don't be upset if you don't get an update after that.

Motorola is also pretty good with updates from what I hear. I picked up my Verizon moto g for $50 and for the price, or can't be beat. But it only works on Verizon.

I am not sure what the g is priced at where the op is , but it could be a good option. Or the x+1 when it comes out.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I understand and agree completely on the updates.
Motorola is also pretty good with updates from what I hear. I picked up my Verizon moto g for $50 and for the price, or can't be beat. But it only works on Verizon.
That seems to have only happened when Google owned Moterolla. Since they won't soon, that may change again. Older android phones went un-updated when they were sold with the promise of it coming soon. (The Photon in particular I believe was the model that was promised ICS).

Eventually, I think Google wants to move android to a point where they can offer the system updates on all phones independent of the maker. It's part of why some parts are being stripped out (like the keyboard) of the base ROM.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I understand and agree completely on the updates.

That seems to have only happened when Google owned Moterolla. Since they won't soon, that may change again. Older android phones went un-updated when they were sold with the promise of it coming soon. (The Photon in particular I believe was the model that was promised ICS).

Eventually, I think Google wants to move android to a point where they can offer the system updates on all phones independent of the maker. It's part of why some parts are being stripped out (like the keyboard) of the base ROM.

Seems unlikely that Google could offer a system update independent of the manufacturer, unless they want tight specs like Microsoft.

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I had a Nexus 5 when they were released but sold it in December. I regretted selling it though. Since then I've had a Lumia 1020, Moto G and Xperia Z2.

This week I picked up another Nexus 5 when Carphone Warehouse reduced them to £250. I love the stock Android experience and the phone feels lightening quick. It's an excellent phone and at the current price it's a definite bargain.

Posted via Android Central App

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

1. It's a safe bet that if another non-nexus flagship were to be released today, it wouldn't see 'official' updates beyond that which the Nexus 5 will see, and likely wouldn't even get that far. So for that concern, it's as good a device to buy as any on the market.

2. If it's half the price of other comparable flagships for you, it's the best value in class (not surprising). Unless it's missing some particular feature/function that you really feel you need to have that is available on one of the other flagships, it's a clear choice. In terms of operating specs, it should be more than fine for at least a few years - though you'll likely find yourself wanting to upgrade sooner ;-)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had a Nexus 5 since launch and feel that it's a great, solid device. It seems like you are set on getting one and feel that you will really enjoy it.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Marute

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Great to hear a lot of positive feedback. I'm sure now that there is no alternative for me in terms of price and functionality and software and likely won't be for quite some time. Thanks for the thorough replies. :)