Large Amount of Data Used on Nexus 5 (compared to iPhone)

guyslichten

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I just moved from an iphone to nexus five and it seems that my data usage is 2 or 3 times the amount i would usually use on the iphone. I might have been using it a bit more due to the fact that its a new phone and all but i find it hard to believe its 2 or 3 times as much. I played around with the settings (i use the power tool widget to disable the auto sync and photos only sync when on wifi..) but it still seems to use alot of data. Am i missing something?

thanks a lot!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
1) Go to Settings -> Data usage and scroll down to see which apps are using data and how much.

2) Open the News & Weather app and ensure that all auto refresh options are disabled.

guyslichten

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
hey,

thanks. It seems that chrome is using the most it says the 99 mb (3 days) but i imagine alot of that is via wifi as well. Would checking the Restrict bakground data help? Google playstore is second with 50 though i checked the box to only auto update over wifi.

Why isnt the news and weather app in the app list?

thanks so much!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
In Settings -> Data usage, there are separate tabs for Wi-Fi and cellular. Look at the top of the graph. The tabs affect not only the graph, but the list below as well.

guyslichten

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
thats good to know thanks. so the data i gave before is still correct becuase it was without wifi. I dont understand why its so much more

PPP mcleod2

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you have Google sync turned on? If so the high amount for chrome might be the first initial sync of data

Posted via Android Central App

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Android runs a lot in the background, things like uninstalling apps use a lot of data, Apple doesn't really do anything till you press something!

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
300mb in 8 days. I used 750 a month with my iphone... dont understand

Are we still talking about this being mostly Chrome which is consuming your data? Try this: open Chrome, tap the three-dot menu icon, tap Settings, tap Bandwidth management, tap Reduce data usage. I don't use this function, but it might help; doesn't Apple's iOS/Safari do something similar by default?

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Was the iPhone using 4G? I noticed when i switched to a 4G wifi router my usage skyrocketed to 9 gigs a month from <3. My theory is that everything loads much faster and i am consuming more data as a result. Just a thought...

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance