Nexus 5 wired or wireless charging?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have the nexus qi charger and use it for quick little charges for around the house. Works well and does generate heat.

Well, *all* charging generates heat, just varies depending on method and rate of charge. Interestingly, it almost seems like my Powerbot wireless charges faster than USB.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
My only "ISSUE" with wireless charging is I wish the device wouldn't power on the screen when I set it down.. I usually set it down wait two seconds for the screen to power up and then turn it off.... It's such a minor issue I've never even wasted any time researching if you could turn that off or not.....

[corrected] Mine will also turn on the screen when I place it on my PowerBot QI charger but only if the battery is below 90-something percent, and it plays a "bling" sound. If it is above that, it just beeps the charger once (confirmation it is correctly placed) and the screen stays off.

Last edited:

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

Agreed. I was just about to post this!

Can you name a few?

Not being sarcastic...if they are really that cheap I'd consider one.

The Choe wireless charger is also good, $25. But the PowerBot is just as good, if not better. It is also $5 less. This PowerBot is also a good charger, and it is the same price as the other PowerBot, $20.

If you want to look for more, just search Amazon for "wireless chargers" or "Qi wireless chargers".

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, interesting. Will there be any difference between this one and the one I purchased from Google? Well besides the $30 price difference and the brand.

They are both Qi charges, so probably not. The only real difference I can think of is that the official Nexus charger has magnets to hold the device in place.

As far as magnets go, it really comes down to personal preference. Some people life them while others don't.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't willing to drop a lot of cash on one either... Then AT&T had the Nokia one on sale for $5 with free shipping and.... No brainer. Got two.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I picked up 4 Nokia wireless Chargers back when AT&T had then for $5. I have one in my car, two in the living room, and one by my bed. I almost never get below 60% battery now. It is fantastic.

Posted via Android Central App

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Holy smokes! $5?! That's a freakin good deal! I pages $50 for mine! If I like how these chargers work, I'll be shopping for a couple more. One for my girlfriends HTC one (if it can do the wireless charging) and another for my 2013 N7. But now that I know there are third party brands for much cheaper, I'll get those from here on out.

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Holy smokes! $5?! That's a freakin good deal! I pages $50 for mine! If I like how these chargers work, I'll be shopping for a couple more. One for my girlfriends HTC one (if it can do the wireless charging) and another for my 2013 N7. But now that I know there are third party brands for much cheaper, I'll get those from here on out.

Neither the original HTC One nor the M8 have wireless charging, unfortunately. You could always buy a wireless charging case or wireless charging film, but that is almost always more of a hassle than it's worth.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
for those that are using wireless chargers - are you always getting a "now charging" confirmation from your Nexus 5 when you place it on the charger regardless of the phone's battery level? for example - if your battery is at 97% will you still get a confirmation? at 100%?

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
for those that are using wireless chargers - are you always getting a "now charging" confirmation from your Nexus 5 when you place it on the charger regardless of the phone's battery level? for example - if your battery is at 97% will you still get a confirmation? at 100%?

I don't get a confirmation that the phone is charging, from the phone, if the battery isn't below 95% or so. My phone still charges, though.

I do, however, get a beep from my wireless charger. You may or may not depending on the charger you have.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

No. It has to be below a certain threshold. I'm not sure what the threshold is

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a fan. Wireless charging generates a lot of heat which is not great for the life of your battery. Also the sweet spot and charging confirmation can be a PIA. My only experience has been the OEM Nexus 5 charger. Bought 2 and returned both. See my thread -

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...xus-5-wireless-charger-unboxing-pictures.html

Avoid wireless charging

Wireless charging is can be incredibly convenient if your phone can do it, but it's not without its disadvantages. The inductive, wireless chargers out there today have this nasty habit of generating a fair bit of waste heat. And while wasted energy is just a bummer in general, that heat will also toast your battery in the process. That's no bueno. It's a little less convenient, but standard plug-in charging is going to keep your battery in better shape, especially if you're some place warm to begin with.

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

Yeah, because 1 out a 1000 people have heat issues, everyone should avoid it. Yeah, OK. Do you seriously think it's like that for everyone? First off, I don't have an "official" charger, I bought an off brand one. Secondly, I have no heat issues, nor do I have a problem "aligning" it to charge it. Sensationalists like you should just stay off the web, instead of going around trying to persuade people.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine has *never* turned on the screen when I place it on my PowerBot QI charger. It just beeps the charger once (confirmation it is correctly placed) and then if the phone is less than 95% or something, the phone plays a bling.

Interesting.... I had the "Official" Nexus 4 wireless Orb and my screen turned on (and it beeps) with both my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7.. If the battery is above 95% it won't do that.. but below every single time.. Set it down.... wait like 2 seconds and it beeps and the screen turns on.... You then have to turn the screen off or wait for however long you have the screen time out to kick in to power it back off...

I'd be good with the beep sound to confirm it's charging as enough....

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Interesting.... I had the "Official" Nexus 4 wireless Orb and my screen turned on (and it beeps) with both my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7.. If the battery is above 95% it won't do that.. but below every single time.. Set it down.... wait like 2 seconds and it beeps and the screen turns on.... You then have to turn the screen off or wait for however long you have the screen time out to kick in to power it back off...

I'd be good with the beep sound to confirm it's charging as enough....

I will now eat my socks. The screen *DOES* turn on when the charge is lower than 90-something %. I just didn't notice because I charge it so often above that threshold. Sorry about that, I will zap the previous posting too.

Anyway, not sure why it matters... the screen will just turn off in 20 or 30 seconds or whatever.

Last edited:

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I used to be one of those who couldn't understand why wireless charging was that much more convenient than wired.....and then I got a wireless charger. Boy was I wrong! The reason it makes a difference to me: I'm one of those who has my phone in action constantly, so I wind up needing to charge it a couple times a day. I'm also one of those who, if I'm sleepy at night, might forget to plug in my charger and wake up the next day with a phone ready to die.

With wireless charging, I don't ever have to debate with myself if I want to find the cable, then find the right port on my phone, then try to plug it in only to find out I've tried plugging it in upside down before finally getting it right. Instead, wireless charging is literally as easy as just SETTING MY PHONE DOWN ON MY DESK. Now there's no need to have a set charging time that I might forget--because when it's not in use, it's always automatically charging, because I just set it down where I set everything anyway--right beside me on the desk.

To me, wireless charging is second only to early Android updates as to why I love my Nexus 5 so much.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I picked up 4 Nokia wireless Chargers back when AT&T had then for $5. I have one in my car, two in the living room, and one by my bed. I almost never get below 60% battery now. It is fantastic.

I am legitimately pissed I missed this sale. I would have bought 4 as well... Damn it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173