Why hangouts doesn't have WiFi sms?

Paskell

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't get why hangouts doesn't include this.. Apple has I messenger and its the most missed thing from my iPhone I wish Google would have their own version. Since my lake house has zero service and only WiFi..

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: why hangouts doesn't have WiFi sms

Hangouts simply incorporates SMS, which relies on the cell signal by design. Hangouts itself is sort of Google's iMessage.

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

If you actually use the "hangouts" part (gmail to gmail) it works just in Wi-Fi, but as B. said SMS/MMS to a phone # needs the cell network

Paskell

May 25, 2013
Visit site

They need to just imply it to switch between or to another android device etc as the iPhone does.. I don't have the patients to use a diff app or txting app should be in hangouts

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

If you actually use the "hangouts" part (gmail to gmail) it works just in Wi-Fi, but as B. said SMS/MMS to a phone # needs the cell network

you know when google did this..

when they broke google voice wifi calling via the mobile phone, i remember that transition when i was on the nexus s 4g; all of a sudden, gv wouldn't call out unless via the phone channel, then i noticed later how hangouts wouldn't sms to numbers via wifi..

NexusNick123

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

I don't get why hangouts doesn't include this.. Apple has I messenger and its the most missed thing from my iPhone I wish Google would have their own version. Since my lake house has zero service and only WiFi..

Yea in the same I wished it work by WiFi as well because sometimes I drop service,and my messages won't send

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

It does. Hangouts and iMessage are functionally very similar in the sense that you can send messages via SMS (which uses your cell signal), or you can use the native messaging protocol (which requires a data connection). Like iMessage, to send the native Hangouts message, the recipient needs to be on Hangouts (i.e. a google/gmail account). But UNLIKE iMessage, Hangouts doesn't hold your number hostage... if you or your party logs out or leaves Hangouts, it handles it.

You can send text messages, photos... you can also make voice and video calls to other Hangouts contacts as well. You can even send/receive hangouts messages (including video) from your desktop browser as well (if you are logged into Google+) .

The one thing that is lacking, and the one thing that EVERYONE is waiting for, is the ability to make voice calls to external phone numbers (VOIP).... meaning you could send and receive regular voice calls if your service sucks and you only have a Wi-Fi signal.

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

YES! i hoped that they will make an announcement about VOIP for hangouts but they didn't!

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

im not switching to apple.. those miniature screens are useless.. No way it could be used for GPS

calbrs04

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

I had an iPhone 4s for a year to see what the big deal was. The only things that I liked is that it would automatically back up the phone every night when I charged it, and the battery life.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

To put this to rest...

Hangouts CAN:

Send/receive SMS to EVERYONE via your phone's radio (traditional SMS)
Send/Receive Hangout text video and picture messages to another Hangouts user... functionally identical to traditional text programs, but over your mobile data or WiFi connection
Send/Receive Voice AND Video calls to other Hangouts users over your mobile data/WiFi connection
... and a few more communication stuff (like group hangouts, etc).
You can send a hangouts message to someone via your desktop browser, etc...

The transition between SMS and Hangouts texts is seemless... and it doesn't lock you into the Hangouts messages like iMessage does.

What it can't do:

Make voice over IP calls to external phone numbers (yet).... functionality that everyone is expecting will be added to Hangouts at some point, current guess is that when they roll Google Voice into hangouts, we'll be able to do VOIP calls using your Google number.

Paskell

May 25, 2013
Visit site

I don't care about voice call. The question was why no SMS via WiFi. That's the only useful thing I need! Haha

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site

I don't care about voice call. The question was why no SMS via WiFi. That's the only useful thing I need! Haha

Google needs to buy MightyText (and the former Googlers who developed it) and incorporate the functionally into Hangouts.

BaMaDuDe87

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

Im confused iMessage doesn't do that either.

Paskell

May 25, 2013
Visit site

Really so tell me why an imessage can send via WiFi and a hangout cannot.. Pretty simple to see

calbrs04

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

Really so tell me why an imessage can send via WiFi and a hangout cannot.. Pretty simple to see

I send hangout messages from my tablet and notebook all the time from WiFi. It just won't send it as a sms. The same way that I can send an imessage from my MacBook.

Hangouts on WiFi will only send to other hangout users, same as imessage on WiFi will only send to other imessage users.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

It can, and does... sending messages over Wi-Fi or Mobile Data connection is what Hangouts does. I do it all the time. I gave my old smartphone to my daughter (sans SIM). She sends me Hangouts messages (ONLY over Wi-Fi) all the time. If you can not send a message, it means the recipient does not have a Google account and can't receive native Hangouts messages.

Why does it work in iMessage, then? Because you are probably sending that iMessage to another iPhone user.... Try sending an iMessage message to someone with an Android phone. You can't.. it's impossible because Apple doesn't make Android apps. Thank God for that... the last thing we'd need is Apple kidnapping phone numbers of people with Android phones as well.

Now, someone with an iPhone can go to the App Store and download Hangouts, log on in and you'll be right as rain sending them Hangouts messages over a data connection.

But in both iMessage and Hangouts... they need to be registered with the service in order to take the native message types. Otherwise it's SMS-only over the phone connection.