Nexus 5 won't turn on or charge (looping)!! please help

djwdvm

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Same thing just happened to me. Nothing would interfere with the "Power Up / Power Down and Repeat" cycle. I thought the phone was bricked! I read on this forum about re-booting, etc, and the "tapping the power button" trick.

It worked! I gently tapped the power button on the phone on a firm surface (what quickly fell to hand was a hole punch device on my desk...) I used the phone a bit like a small hammer, and allowed the power button to fall onto the metal body of the hole punch.

P1110204.jpg

Lo and behold, it's now powering up just like it should. :)

Should this little trick be needed again, and should it stop working to fix the issue, I think I could manage to solder in a new switch. But then again, maybe the guys at the phone repair place in the mall will be able to do it rather cheaply.

Thanks for the tip!

123mirfp

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem for the last 2 days, the phone battery is fully charged, and it kept looping to the Google sign. I tried everything (including holding the power down and volume up/down buttons, took out the battery, powered on/off, etc.), and nothing works! So I took it to the repair shop called fonelab (Home | Fonelab) and they said it is a re-start issue. They had to change something in the circuit board (which costs $68+ tax), but it worked and I got my phone back!

Good luck and check them out if you keep having issues!

Aleem:)

Astromaxitis

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
Guys i had exactly the same problem on my Nexus 5 and i was starting to believe that something was tosted ! I read about tapping the power button and thought it was a joke. Then i tried it and hitted the power button on the soft edge of a wood several times and unexpectedly my phone powered on !!! The power button had stucked and now works just fine ! If i hadnt read about this simple thing , maybe i would never had done it . Thank you guys !

OngChoo Bhutia

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
reddit.com/r/Nexus5/comments/2edf6j/

bang the power button side of the phone firmly on something and it'll start working again (seems it gets stuck). I know it sounds crazy, but if you read the link above this method helped many, including myself. hope someone else finds this useful, i started freaking out, but then this saved my nexus 5.

It works like miracle thanks...

Niraj Khetan

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Thanks a lot! this worked. Saved my day! my phone went down on Birthday!

Pressing the power and vol up button & then power & volume down button for a while (say 20 secs).

Thanks.

Lydia Ruth Abaco

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
Okay so someone posted that if you keep tapping the power button as it boots you can get it on as a temporary fix. I did this and I WAS able to get my phone back on after being off for 4 days, looping whenever charging and couldn't get it to boot at all when pushing power or the power with the volume down or up.

So the real question is, is there a permanent fix?

Please help I live in the Bahamas so if I can't self fix i'll be without it for weeks to ship it out and back in again :'(

mpwuzhere

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
Besides the power button tap trick...you can clean off the power button with a contact cleaner.

I had two Nexus 5's and my first one had the power issue. I thought I tapped so much the screen broke! So I switched to phone #2 . The power button started to have issue last Thursday and I followed the directions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doPuXkQTGbc
I found QD Contact Cleaner at Home Depot and I got some 2-26 Precision Lubrication to keep it from sticking again.
Haven't had any issues since Saturday night when I got it put back together again.

Went back to Phone #1 and just finished cleaning it too....and it turns out the screen wasn't broken. It was the protection screen....doh! So it's on the charger now.

anitha5

Mar 15, 2017
Visit site
OK.... You have a couple of options here.

First... from a powered down state.... hold the up volume and power button for about 10-20 seconds. Then hold the down volume and power button. It SHOULD turn on and go into the backup bootloader screen. The 5 has a secondary, backup bootloader (I learned about this when the Hellscore app borked my primary bootloader when it laid down the Nexus 4 kernel on top of it.. serves me right for trying to save some time).

If it stays in the bootloader now, at least you can go from there. If it STILL doesn't stay powered on, your toast. Something, probably in the power circuitry, is junk. The Nexus 5 is near impossible to brick because of a software problem. You can recovery from just about EVERYTHING.... well, short of something overwriting the primary AND backup bootloaders. But pretty much anything else can be recovered as long as it isn't something with the hardware.

If it stays up, from there, go in and clear your cache and reboot. That's might be a shot in the dark.... I'm guessing that your issue isn't just a corrupt cache. Reboot and see if you can get it to stay up. If not... repeat the above to get into the bootloader... do a factory reset.

Yeah, factory resets suck, but hopefully you loaded a custom recovery when you rooted and have a relatively recent system backup you can fall back on. If you DON'T and got your phone up and running.... LOAD A CUSTOM RECOVERY AND MAKE A BACKUP. :)

your remedy to restart nexus 4 is useful. i tried and succeeded. after 3 years of my phone shutdown. but only thing i had to reset to factory settings erase all data because my phone was encrypted by a password. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

SharonPerp

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
Besides the power button tap trick...you can clean off the power button with a contact cleaner.

I had two Nexus 5's and my first one had the power issue. I thought I tapped so much the screen broke! So I switched to phone #2 . The power button started to have issue last Thursday and I followed the directions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doPuXkQTGbc
I found QD Contact Cleaner at Home Depot and I got some 2-26 Precision Lubrication to keep it from sticking again.
Haven't had any issues since Saturday night when I got it put back together again.

Went back to Phone #1 and just finished cleaning it too....and it turns out the screen wasn't broken. It was the protection screen....doh! So it's on the charger now.

Wow, I watched your video, took off the back just for fun (didn't have tools/cleaner/etc . handy) and when I put the back on again it worked just fine. Don't know for how long but I'll definitely save your video for when I suppose it will eventually break. Plus, I need a new battery so maybe I can do that now, too. Thanks!

destro7713

Jun 29, 2018
Visit site
reddit.com/r/Nexus5/comments/2edf6j/

bang the power button side of the phone firmly on something and it'll start working again (seems it gets stuck). I know it sounds crazy, but if you read the link above this method helped many, including myself. hope someone else finds this useful, i started freaking out, but then this saved my nexus 5.

Thanks! This method worked for me. After hitting the power button against a desk several times, my phone started to behave again!