My nexus Cant completely turn on.

mendoze

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Im not good in English.

I need help, today i woke up to see my nexus and it was not on. So I Press the button to turn on it but in the Moment that the word "GOOGLE" appears and then appears the 4 color just in that moment, it got STACK and automatically restart.

The software of my cellphone got damaged?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Im not good in English.

I need help, today i woke up to see my nexus and it was not on. So I Press the button to turn on it but in the Moment that the word "GOOGLE" appears and then appears the 4 color just in that moment, it got STACK and automatically restart.

The software of my cellphone got damaged?

You are caught in what is called a 'boot loop'. There could be many reasons why this happened, and it is important to know what happened before it became caught. Did you install any new software? Have you been having issues lately? What was happening the last time it was working?

Can you access the 'fastboot' menu? This is done by holding down the volume down button during a reset. You should see a screen with an Android mascot on its back. From there, you can use the volume keys to select "Recovery Mode".... and there should be an option to 'clear cache partition'. And then reboot. If that doesn't work, you might have to do a factory reset.

win465

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
When I accidentally wiped the whole Kitkat OS off my phone by accident(first time rooting lol) I was so freaked out because I was stuck in the same exact boot loop you are in now. The way I fixed it was I was using this nexus root toolkit and it had a feature built in the flashed my phone back to stock for me with no problem. Just click on where it says unroot and flash to stock and the option for Boot loop is there and follow the instruction and hopefully it will help.

LINK--- Nexus Root Toolkit v1.8.4 | WugFresh

Attachments

• Root.png
    Root.png
    457.7 KB · Views: 15

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
When I accidentally wiped the whole Kitkat OS off my phone by accident(first time rooting lol)

If you don't mind me asking... how'd you pull that off? I know that unlocking the phone will do a full reset, but how did you manage to blow away the whole OS?

That being said... yes... The NRT is a nice tool to have when you run into situations like this, especially if you are new to screwing around with the phone's plumbing. But it comes with its own dangers. Whomever coined the term "foolproof" never met an accomplished fool. Even the best tool (which NRT pretty much is) is by no means 100% reliable. Plenty of users get in way over their heads using these things because they don't understand what is going on behind the scenes.

NRT uses ADB and 'fastboot' commands to do its thing (it is basically just a GUI wrapper for the two). It would be to your advantage to learn at least the basics of both.... So if/when things go south and the toolkit gets twisted into a knot, you can figure out how to climb back out of the hole you dug yourself into.

win465

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
If you don't mind me asking... how'd you pull that off? I know that unlocking the phone will do a full reset, but how did you manage to blow away the whole OS?

That being said... yes... The NRT is a nice tool to have when you run into situations like this, especially if you are new to screwing around with the phone's plumbing. But it comes with its own dangers. Whomever coined the term "foolproof" never met an accomplished fool. Even the best tool (which NRT pretty much is) is by no means 100% reliable. Plenty of users get in way over their heads using these things because they don't understand what is going on behind the scenes.

NRT uses ADB and 'fastboot' commands to do its thing (it is basically just a GUI wrapper for the two). It would be to your advantage to learn at least the basics of both.... So if/when things go south and the toolkit gets twisted into a knot, you can figure out how to climb back out of the hole you dug yourself into.
The first time rooting my phone i wanted to flash a custom Rom onto the phone because it would be cool to have a custom rom. So anyways when i tried to flash a custom rom either i did it wrong or the rom was faulty and it didnt work, it just went into boot loop. So i was like forget rooting my phone i just want to go back to stock so i went into recovery and where it said wipe i thought it would wipe everything and go back to normal. But nope it just wiped everything off my phone including the OS and I was so freaked out because my expensive device wasn't working. So that is where to root toolkit helped me bring everything back to stock lol.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The first time rooting my phone i wanted to flash a custom Rom onto the phone because it would be cool to have a custom rom. So anyways when i tried to flash a custom rom either i did it wrong or the rom was faulty and it didnt work, it just went into boot loop. So i was like forget rooting my phone i just want to go back to stock so i went into recovery and where it said wipe i thought it would wipe everything and go back to normal. But nope it just wiped everything off my phone including the OS and I was so freaked out because my expensive device wasn't working. So that is where to root toolkit helped me bring everything back to stock lol.

Ah.... yeah... I think I know what happened.... Most custom ROMs only come with the OS and a kernel.... those are loaded to the /system and /boot partitions. When you flash the 'gapps' packages, those will also get loaded into /system as well. A few select ROMs include the google app stuff in their ROMs, but since these get updated often, most leave those out so a user can flash whatever google app packages they want. Typically, the /system partition is tightly restricted and really only low-level OS stuff gets write access. Users can only screw around in there with root access.

When you boot up your phone, log in your user, download apps from Google Play (updates to your system applications are also stored in /data... hence the option to "uninstall updates" when you look at the app setttings), configure your wallpapers and stuff... ALL that data gets stored in the /data partition. When you do a factory reset, it's pretty much just purging the /data partition. And since that is where all your customizations are kept, your phone is effectively reset to it's 'factory' state. Without all that configuration information, the phone goes into "First Boot" mode and you have to set all that stuff up again.

From what you described, the flash of the custom ROM failed... for whatever reason.... when you tried to boot, there was nothing there to boot TO, so it looped. The Factory Reset really did nothing here, other than re-format your /data partition (which you should have cleared when flashing a new ROM anyhow). NRT basically went back in and put all the pieces back together.. getting you back to square 1.

You're experience is not all that uncommon for people first trying out custom stuff on their phones. While the process is fairly straightforward, if the steps aren't followed correctly, things can go sideways REALLY fast.... and you end up in boot loop panic. Everyone's been there.... but the key is understanding what went wrong and how to get out of it.

Rule of thumb with the Nexus 5 is that if it turns on, you can fix pretty much anything.