Settings App went missing on Nexus 5 running 4.4.4

ChessHead

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm a relatively new Android user. The Nexus 5 is my first smart phone, and it's definitely an adjustment for me. So I'm still a novice user.

The "Settings" application is missing on my list of applications. The little gear icon application. I used to have it. Not sure when it disappeared. The phone used to be running 4.4.3. Not sure if maybe it disappeared when I upgraded to 4.4.4. Or maybe I hit the wrong button, pushed something wrong and suddenly that app icon was hidden or removed.

I did some searching online and saw posts from other Android users also (not Nexus 5) about their settings application also going missing.

I do still have the ability to access Settings by using the two finger swipe-down motion from the home screen. Then I have an option to click on settings.

Can anyone give me advice on how to restore the Settings application icon? Or how to check if maybe I hid the app/icon by accident, is there a way to find it and unhide it?

Thanks...

ChessHead

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
OK, looks like this is solved. Still not sure how the Settings app icon disappeared. I probably hit the wrong button to hide or remove the icon (previously).

I was just looking for the Settings icon on the main list of applications. Like from the main page, flick left to see lists of application icons. The Settings icon used to be there, then it disappeared.

This post pointed me in the right direction:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii/276759-unhide-locate-hidden-apps.html

I think the Settings app was still in the Apps Drawer. On the main start page, at the bottom center there is an icon with a light blue circle and six white dots in it. I think that's the Apps Drawer. Click on it. Then flick left-right to scroll through all your apps. The Settings app was still in there. I touched-and-held on it, and suddenly it gave me the option to drag it somewhere on my home screen. Which I did. So now I can see the Settings app on my home screen, in my App Drawer and also by using the two-finger swipe down from the home page.

I hope this is helpful to others.

ChessHead

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
OK, looks like this is solved. Still not sure how the Settings app icon disappeared. I probably hit the wrong button to hide or remove the icon (previously).

I was just looking for the Settings icon on the main list of applications. Like from the main page, flick left to see lists of application icons. The Settings icon used to be there, then it disappeared.

This post pointed me in the right direction:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii/276759-unhide-locate-hidden-apps.html

I think the Settings app was still in the Apps Drawer. On the main start page, at the bottom center there is an icon with a light blue circle and six white dots in it. I think that's the Apps Drawer. Click on it. Then flick left-right to scroll through all your apps. The Settings app was still in there. I touched-and-held on it, and suddenly it gave me the option to drag it somewhere on my home screen. Which I did. So now I can see the Settings app on my home screen, in my App Drawer and also by using the two-finger swipe down from the home page.

I hope this is helpful to others.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Good to see that you resolved it! Thanks for popping back in to let us know what you did to fix it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app