Nexus 5 WiFi vs. Data Usage

clporritt

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I have browsed through the forum and couldn't find anything similar to my issue, so here I am hoping to get some answeres and tips on fixing my current problem.

I have seen several videos online with other phones showing how you can setup your phone to automatically switch to WiFi useage when the phone comes within range of a WiFi network, this keeps the phone from using up the carriers data usage. I have been unable to get this to work for my Nexus 5.

I have my WiFi setup that it connects directly to my WiFi when I get within range and it shows that it's connected, but my carrier is showing that I'm still using up all of my Data Usage limits (T-Mobile). I don't use the phone for Facebook, Videos or anything other than text and phone calls when I'm not at home and not connected to WiFi, but I'm only 9 days into the month and I've already hit my 3 gig data limit... how is this happening if my phone shows it's connected to my Wifi when I'm accessing videos & Facebook? Does the Nexus 5 not switch over to WiFi usage when connected automatically or do I need to do something in the settings to tell it to do this? How could I fix this problem?

Thank you for your help!!!

Craig

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
A couple of things to check:

1) Open the Gallery app, tap the 3-dot menu icon at top right, tap Settings, make certain the "Sync on Wi-Fi only" box is checked.

2) Open the News & Weather app and disable Auto-refresh unless you actually want that service. My recollection is that it is on by default and can chew up a lot of data.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
in settings, select data usage, and look at the mobile and Wifi tabs. What does Mobile show for data usage for the period under review? And what apps are showing high usage there?