I have a few issues with my Android, can anyone help?

L

lukeam841

Help! First time android user with tons of problems.

So I just got a Nexus 5. And so far, Here are the two biggest issues I can't seem to find the answers for:

1.Autocorrect and suggestions only work sometimes. Not in the Google Now search bar, but in my notes app for some reason. Why? All the right settings are enabled.

2. Almost all my google apps need individual updates. There's no "update all" button in the play store like there's supposed to be, so this is especially frustrating. I started with a fresh install. Got my phone off eBay and immediately updated it up to 4.4.4.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help! First time android user with tons of problems.

Welcome to Android Central!

1. Go to Settings>Language & Input, tap the settings icon next to Google Keyboard, tap Auto-Correction, and select the level of aggressiveness that you want the system to auto-correct. You can also select to show correction suggestions there, as well as Personalized Suggestions (based on your typing history). There's also an option for Next-word Suggestions.

2. One quirk about preinstalled Google apps is that if you haven't updated them before, they won't prompt you to update them--you have to search for them in Google Play, and then select update on the app page. Once a Google app has been updated, it will then show up in My Apps and prompt you for further updates when they become available. Not sure why this still happens, but it does. You should still see an Update All button in the Google Play Store's My Apps menu, assuming there are multiple other apps that are ready to update.

lukeam841

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

I turned all the settings you're talking about on, and the three word suggestions above the keyboard still only appear in certain cases. As I type this out in Chrome, they're working properly. But when I go into my dialer, they disappear and the keyboard stops using any autocorrect without me tapping each incorrectly spelled word after it's typed out.

I did update my Google apps though.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Word suggestions do not appear when entering text in certain areas because it doesn't make sense to do so. For example, when entering text into the URL bar of Chrome, there are no word suggestions, because many URLs don't have recognized words--they're mixed in with dots, or abbreviations, or acronyms. In the Dialer, you're entering names, not dictionary words, so it also won't give you word suggestions.