Huge UI lag when playing podcasts (sometimes)

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Been using DogCatcher paid version for maybe a year or two and love the app, just what I want.

Phone is a Nexus 5 w/ 4.4.4, stock w/ no root

I have been randomly experiencing very huge UI lag several times a week. This is the most recent episode which is pretty typical. I was in the park playing a podcast at 1.2x and the phone was screen off in my pocket, I heard something I wanted to rewind but when I went to wake the screen it took about 30 seconds for the screen to come on. All the time I was waiting the podcast was playing fine. When the screen does finally come on it appears to have a good 15 seconds of lag between a touch input and doing what I asked. After a couple of minutes or so of dealing with this the phone UI gets back to normal and is very quick like normal. I don’t see anything stop working or a crash report, it’s like the phone thinks everything is normal.

In the past I have actually missed phone calls because I can’t get the screen on and swipe to answer before it goes to voicemail.
My main concern is in trying to fix this problem two days ago I completely wiped out the phone and used the factory images google posted to reinstall 4.4.4 on my Nexus 5. As far as DogCatcher goes it would not use my backup so I figured there was something really wrong with it. I uninstalled the app and removed the files I loaded on in 0/dogcatcher then reinstalled DogCatcher as a new app, manually added my podcasts and set preferences download only on wifi etc. All was good until I ran into the UI lag again today.

I do have other apps running all the time like Aquamail and LightFlow but I have never experienced this UI issue when not using DogCatcher. I can’t ever remember having this issue on android 4.4.3 or lower. I can’t thick of anything new I have loaded recently, actually after formatting and reimaging the phone I have less than usual. After reimaging the phone the only apps that I restored from backup were Aquamail, LightFlow and Novalauncher. Everything else was a new clean install from the play store.

Random thought, could this possibly be a conflict with the new google search listen everywhere feature?

The developer responded that while playing they simply use the android media player, nothing really special.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
What's running at the time lag starts? Is it just lightflow and aquamail? Is anything else running that you may not be aware of?

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
That's all I have persistent notifications for, I turned off the notification for Weatherbug elite a long time ago so it just updates when I open it. Sometimes I have been using Google navigation but I wasn't today.

The problem generally appears when I wake the phone screen, I mostly listen to podcasts with the screen off.

Honestly I'm starting to think this all started with the always listening Google now features, it was around that time period. I've turned off all the ok Google stuff, will take a week or two to think that fixed it.