Using Pre3 or Touchpad chargers

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys

Does anyone know if it is possible to charge the Nexus 5 with a Pre3 or TP Charger (no, not Touchstone, just USB) without damaging the battery?

I think I remember vaguely, that it is a matter of amperes. Pre3 charger delivers 1 mA, the TP charger delivers 2 mA ... is that right? The Nexus has a 2300 mAh battery, but does that mean I can charge it safely with one of the WebOS-Device chargers? How will the batterylogic take it? Could it be, that you slowly damage the battery? Could you overcharge it?

TIA for any insights.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Theoretically, as long as the plug is a micro USB, it should charge it. The phone itself should prevent any overcharging. However, I usually stick to chargers that are meant for the device.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I've been using my TouchPad charger since I got my Nexus 5 with no issues. Charges ridiculously quickly and no overheating.

Posted via my Nexus 5 via the Android Central App

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been using my TouchPad charger since I got my Nexus 5 with no issues. Charges ridiculously quickly and no overheating.

I've been using my TouchPad charger since I got my Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 without any issues either. Charges slightly quicker than the stock charger because I suspect the stock charger is slightly under-rated for the phone (when checked with the Battery Monitor app on charge). That TP USB charger is high quality.

I've bought a stack of ebay cheap chargers in my time for the kids ipods etc but they are generally garbage. They deliver much less then what they print on the side as the amp/watt rating. I bought a stock Apple 12W charger last week (urgent quick purchase while away) and have found it is excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel