JUMP, the G3 and the Nexus line

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for some opinions here....

OK.... first let me preface this by saying that I love my Nexus 5... Fast, stable, functional, malleable, it gives me no aggravation and there's no reason to get rid of it.... That being said.... One of the reasons why I added T-Mobile's JUMP is that it allows me to pop over to a new device without getting whacked with a pay-off fee (that and it's only a $2 premium over their insurance). I've been eligible since the 16th.

Not long ago, I pretty much avoided temptation from any of the newer phones since I figured that there would be a replacement released sometime in the fall and I'd just trigger my JUMP upgrade then. But recently, the 'Shamu' leaks seem to point to Google NOT choosing to update their phone, instead gearing up to release a 6' phablet when they launch the next version of Android.... many people, including me, are of the opinion that this ISN'T the Nexus 5's replacement, but more a Nexus 7 replacement that taps into the hot super-sized phablet market... and that we should expect a smaller-screened Nexus device to replace the 5 maybe sometime early in 2015. I'm not really all that interested in a 6'... the G3's size is about my upper limit I guess.

So that leads me to my dilemma.... I could go in to T-Mobile today and walk out with a G3. Now, worst case scenario is that I don't like the phone and Google has kept a 5' Nexus 5 replacement quiet and they release all three in October/November and I have to wait until January to replace it. Best case is that I like the phone and keep it, happily, until after January when I can choose to replace it when the 'next' Nexus 5 comes out.

Yes.. I know, I'm on a Nexus 5 forum and it's '5 uber alles!' around here... and I'm an unabashed Nexus 5 fan.... but what's the point of joining JUMP unless I use it and see what's out there? Thoughts?

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes he would, that's how jump works. I hear where you're coming from Leo, I left the nexus line after the N4 because I found myself liking the extra features the branded androids were getting. At this stage though, I would probably prefer to wait until your carrier's G3 gets the L update before jumping.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes he would, that's how jump works. I hear where you're coming from Leo, I left the nexus line after the N4 because I found myself liking the extra features the branded androids were getting. At this stage though, I would probably prefer to wait until your carrier's G3 gets the L update before jumping.

True, but by that time, I'd be eligible for my NEXT jump and could get something else (if that be the case)..... Maybe when that larger Nexus comes out, I'll be all "Hot damn, I'm wanting that bad boy".... and I just have to wait a couple of months.

Golfd... yes.. I have to trade in the 5.... but I walk out with a G3 without a penny out of pocket (granted, a bump in my EIP... but whatevs).

yesshh

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat over here.

There are a few reasons I like the LG G3 vs the N5...

1. The camera on the N5, while taking decent pictures, lacks in terms or hardware with the flagships.

2. The screen size often leaves me desiring a larger screen when I am watching YouTube videos, browsing Reddit, and watching TwitchTV.

I love the pure, stock android experience but also crave some additional features. I have owned the HTC One (M7) and loved it. But the camera gave out on me shortly and that left me not really wanting to go back to HTC. I also had the T-Mobile G2 years ago and I believe HTC made it.

I've also owned the first Galaxy Note... I'm not sure how I feel about the phone overall. The screen is too large for me now I think.

The Nexus 5 is perfect. But the camera and screen size could be a tad better.

This has me wanting to give the G3 a try. Just scared of losing my stock android experience. Love the idea of the extra screen space though.

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, I pulled the trigger and got the G3... the way I figured, might as well play the field. I'll miss the 5, but now I have something to look forward to when it comes time to upgrade again.

yesshh

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, I pulled the trigger and got the G3... the way I figured, might as well play the field. I'll miss the 5, but now I have something to look forward to when it comes time to upgrade again.

Feel free to update me on how you feel about the upgrade. :)

Posted via Android Central App