Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

andport

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Is this normal? Had my phone since December 2013. I don't really install that many apps and I uninstall ones that I don't use. Never had more than 3 pages. Majority of what I do on my phone is just browsing, Skype, and watching videos/TV/movies.

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I've found since the 4.4.3 & 4.4.4 update that Google Play Services has been devouring the battery at an unprecedented rate. Using more of the battery as a percentage than screen on time. It's to the point that I disable location services unless I absolutely need it and then turn it off again when done.

andport

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I've found since the 4.4.3 & 4.4.4 update that Google Play Services has been devouring the battery at an unprecedented rate. Using more of the battery as a percentage than screen on time. It's to the point that I disable location services unless I absolutely need it and then turn it off again when done.

Yes I think this started since then too. Is 34-40° C quite bad though? I'm afraid my phone is going to get hardware damage because of this.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Provide us with a screen shot of the battery stats after a full charge and a significant battery drop. Based on what you are doing, it could be possible to see that much battery drain, especially if you are viewing movies/streaming over the mobile network with full screen brightness.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Is 34-40° C quite bad though? I'm afraid my phone is going to get hardware damage because of this.
No damage at those temperatures. Chips will run way hotter than that. At worst they will just "slow down" i.e. the processor speed will automatically reduce. Other components, meh; screen, it doesn't care. Battery... hmmm, not sure how happy it will be beyond about 50°, but maybe okay.

andport

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Put on charge at 9:20 at 4%

Checked at about 11:00 and it was 39% and saying 5 hours until full charge (while being used I guess)

Being charged in a perfectly working wall socket with the stock charger.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

I have had this happen to me a couple of times since the update. A reboot fixed it but it's a bit annoying. Hope they fix the issue.

Posted via Android Central App

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have had this happen to me a couple of times since the update. A reboot fixed it but it's a bit annoying. Hope they fix the issue.

Posted via Android Central App

I can confirm 4.4.4 does not solve random severe battery drain issue that the Nexus 5 seems to have. Every couple of weeks it happens to me. Reboot fixes it until the next time a couple of weeks later.

Really unreliable. Really frustrating.

andport3

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Two days in a row I left it on charge turned off overnight and when I turned it on after about 8-9 hours of charge it was 76%... I am starting to think the battery is broken and can't even charge past that anymore

Nexass Phone

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I've been trolling the forums and nobody seems to provide an adequate explanation for the solution to fixing the issue. First off, your phones are not defective. You configured the WiFi settings incorrectly. Second, I'm going to go out on a limb and make a generalization. If you are having battery drain issues, then you will see on the battery detail history screen that your WiFi is constantly on. On my phone once I fixed the issue, my WiFi battery usage displayed periods of on (blue) and off (black). Your battery history details for WiFi will show solid blue across this screen if you're having battery drain issues. To fix the issue disable Google Now and then go to WiFi, advanced, and disable the setting that keeps WiFi on even when you choose to turn WiFi off. For the next hour, check your battery history details field for the color black to see if your WiFi is actually turned (OFF). You will also notice that your phone runs cooler when you touch the back top side near the camera.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 4876.jpg
    4876.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 4877.jpg
    4877.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 14

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been trolling the forums and nobody seems to provide an adequate explanation for the solution to fixing the issue. First off, your phones are not defective. You configured the WiFi settings incorrectly. Second, I'm going to go out on a limb and make a generalization. If you are having battery drain issues, then you will see on the battery detail history screen that your WiFi is constantly on. On my phone once I fixed the issue, my WiFi battery usage displayed periods of on (blue) and off (black). Your battery history details for WiFi will show solid blue across this screen if you're having battery drain issues. To fix the issue disable Google Now and then go to WiFi, advanced, and disable the setting that keeps WiFi on even when you choose to turn WiFi off. For the next hour, check your battery history details field for the color black to see if your WiFi is actually turned (OFF). You will also notice that your phone runs cooler when you touch the back top side near the camera.

Posted via the Android Central App

I have tried this and unfortunately it does not fix the random battery drain issue that I detail in this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-battery-very-inconsistent-whats-culprit.html

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae