Honest answer please - is Nexus 5 camera better than GS3?

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I will be moving to ATT from Verizon some time next month. Currently my gf has GS3 and she likes the camera quality but once we move, I will be getting Nexus devices for both of us. Camera is very important to me as well but I know I will be very pleased coming from MotoX. I just must make sure she's pleased as well coming from GS3 or I will be in a lot of trouble! :)

Thanks

Pheeleep

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Verizon doesn't even have the Nexus 5 and isn't compatible with Verizon's frequencies of service.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Verizon doesn't even have the Nexus 5 and isn't compatible with Verizon's frequencies of service.

Yep, and anything to "force" it to work on Verizon will be a hack and if he has issues, Verizon is not going to help him. That aside, the camera is probably just as good or better than a GS3 (from what I have read).

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The camera on the Nexus 5 is excellent in low light and very good in bright light. This wasn't true when the N5 was first released but software updates has corrected that old issue with the N5's camera. The Nexus 5 features an InvenSense IDG-2020 dual axis gyroscope for optical image stabilization (OIS) that even the current Samsung phones doesn't have OIS to stabilize videos and images. OIS alone will give you better pictures than on the old Samsung S3 and S4. The S5 still doesn't have OIS it has DS ( Digital Stabilization) that isn't as good as OIS. The OIS module compensates for the natural tremor in your hands, it allows the algorithms governing the camera to shoot at slower shutter speeds that gives the N5 an advantage in low light pictures.

The N5's optional HDR+ mode takes three pictures one at the right light aperture exposure, then one F stop below and then one F stop above that the N5's blends into one picture that is close to what your eye can see. I take pictures of my friends in a darken bar light and they say your flash didn't go off but then I show them the picture and they are like wow my Camera won't do that. That is due to the OIS shooting at slower shutter speeds and HDR+ taking three pictures at different F stops that it blends together for one image.

The N5's weakens with the Camera is action shots like sports or even a kid running around. I gave up trying to take a picture of kids on a merry-go-round. Just too fast for the OIS focus to get a good shot unless you are really really good at fixing the focus with the correct timing. The N5's optical image stabilization (OIS) that eliminates your hand shaking is a little too slow for action shots. For action shots you need to always turn off HDR+ mode and turn on flash but even then you could get a out of focus shot if the picture you were taking was very fast action like a race. If action shots are very important then I think you should look at the LG G3 that has the first laser focus image stabilization camera in any cell phone.

There is not a better all around cell phone than a Nexus 5 for under $500 on the market and few can even come close to a Nexus 5 above $500 for a flagship phone.

Last edited:

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The camera got slammed in early review but there have been plenty of updates pushed in the past year, IMO it's quite decent now. Sometimes you will see a revisited review of the camera but likely not.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
The camera on the Nexus 5 is excellent in low light and very good in bright light. This wasn't true when the N5 was first released but software updates has corrected that old issue with the N5's camera. The Nexus 5 features an InvenSense IDG-2020 dual axis gyroscope for optical image stabilization (OIS) that even the current Samsung phones doesn't have OIS to stabilize videos and images. OIS alone will give you better pictures than on the old Samsung S3 and S4. The S5 still doesn't have OIS it has DS ( Digital Stabilization) that isn't as good as OIS. The OIS module compensates for the natural tremor in your hands, it allows the algorithms governing the camera to shoot at slower shutter speeds that gives the N5 an advantage in low light pictures.

The N5's optional HDR+ mode takes three pictures one at the right light aperture exposure, then one F stop below and then one F stop above that the N5's blends into one picture that is close to what your eye can see. I take pictures of my friends in a darken bar light and they say your flash didn't go off but then I show them the picture and they are like wow my Camera won't do that. That is due to the OIS shooting at slower shutter speeds and HDR+ taking three pictures at different F stops that it blends together for one image.

The N5's weakens with the Camera is action shots like sports or even a kid running around. I gave up trying to take a picture of kids on a merry-go-round. Just too fast for the OIS focus to get a good shot unless you are really really good at fixing the focus with the correct timing. The N5's optical image stabilization (OIS) that eliminates your hand shaking is a little too slow for action shots. For action shots you need to always turn off HDR+ mode and turn on flash but even then you could get a out of focus shot if the picture you were taking was very fast action like a race. If action shots are very important then I think you should look at the LG G3 that has the first laser focus image stabilization camera in any cell phone.

There is not a better all around cell phone than a Nexus 5 for under $500 on the market and few can even come close to a Nexus 5 above $500 for a flagship phone.

Thank you for such a detailed response. I would definitely consider G3 for her but I already know she'd revolt when she realized that the buttons are on the back. I also really want to stay pure "Google" Android this time (one of few reasons I'm switching to ATT). I think Nexus 5 it is... for both of us.

precon22

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I have both phones and the Nexus is here is much better in certain situations like outdoor shots but gs3 still takes a great photo here is an example
a5e5uguh.jpg

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I will be moving to ATT from Verizon some time next month. Currently my gf has GS3 and she likes the camera quality but once we move, I will be getting Nexus devices for both of us. Camera is very important to me as well but I know I will be very pleased coming from MotoX. I just must make sure she's pleased as well coming from GS3 or I will be in a lot of trouble! :)

Thanks
Do not believe what reviewers tell you about the camera of this device, they haven't updated their reviews in a very long time.

After the arrival of Android 4.4.2 and the introduction of the new Google Camera the device takes amazing photos in all conditions.

It has a larger f2.4 aperture compared to the f2.6 on Galaxy S3(smaller number is better) and it also has OIS to allow you to shoot at higher shutter speeds with less blur.

vusugepu.jpg

azy9y4a6.jpg

3uquretu.jpg

aguvavu6.jpg

hebyry3u.jpg

I've used this camera on a number of occasions and have even shot videos while running.

This is indeed a very capable camera and hopefully Google will continue to improve it, in future updates.

The front camera isn't bad either, it's actually pretty good for selfies.

Camera aside, the Nexus 5 has a plethora of other advantages such as a much more powerful processor, great screen, the latest iteration of Android and a great design.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AaronTV

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Some Nexus shots I took the other day.

Posted with Nexus 5 via Android Central App

Attachments

• 22835.jpg
    22835.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 22834.jpg
    22834.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 22830.jpg
    22830.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 18

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Honest answer please - is Nexus 5 camera better than GS3?

Yes. In almost every way. And I have used both extensively.

The Nexus camera kills the GS3 soundly (and the GS3 has an awesome camera for it's generation...but the Nexus camera destroys it). The UI is faster and more responsive. Everything is more compatible. You can use ART with the Nexus 5 (not with the GS3, even if you have KitKat). Speaker volume is better. Nexus has Wireless charging. Nexus has a brighter and much higher resolution display, with better touch-response. The Nexus does NOT have a hardware button, which makes navigation significantly easier IMO.

The only advantages the GS3 has is SD and removable battery. Thats it.

Thats not to say the GS3 sucks...but it is not even in the same league as the Nexus 5.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The camera got slammed in early review but there have been plenty of updates pushed in the past year, IMO it's quite decent now. Sometimes you will see a revisited review of the camera but likely not.

Yeah, the Nexus has the most underrated camera in the industry. Even Android Central is guilty of bashing it unfairly.

Even before the camera fix, the Nexus took excellent photos. The fix corrected focus-time issues...the Nexus still had good qaulity even then. I'd recommend that people visit the Nexus photo thread to see samples...it is much better than reviewers would have you believe.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-4.html

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood