How Future-Proof is Nexus 5?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
You're claiming that the iPhone is smoother than the Nexus 5, but in what way?
The home screen, safari vs chrome ( I know you can use Chrome on ios but safari is better optimized for ios then chrome), and the apps have a much more smoothness to it from my experience with my iPad. Maybe it's just from using an I device after years of Android. Last iPhone was the iPhone 4

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
The home screen, safari vs chrome ( I know you can use Chrome on ios but safari is better optimized for ios then chrome), and the apps have a much more smoothness to it from my experience with my iPad. Maybe it's just from using an I device after years of Android. Last iPhone was the iPhone 4
The homescreen is one of the smoothest things on my Nexus 5.

iOS has certain restrictions on browsers on the Apple App Store, Safari is the only browser on the App Store that gets to utilize a turbo engine(something like that) and that is why other browsers aren't as fast.

In iOS 8 third party browsers will be able to use this turbo engine enabling much faster browsing.

On Android, Nexus 5 in particular there we're some performance issues in Chrome however they we're fixed soon.

You should point out better examples and try using ART runtime for once, just to see how much of an improvement it makes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The homescreen is one of the smoothest things on my Nexus 5.

iOS has certain restrictions on browsers on the Apple App Store, Safari is the only browser on the App Store that gets to utilize a turbo engine(something like that) and that is why other browsers aren't as fast.

In iOS 8 third party browsers will be able to use this turbo engine enabling much faster browsing.

On Android, Nexus 5 in particular there we're some performance issues in Chrome however they we're fixed soon.

You should point out better examples and try using ART runtime for once, just to see how much of an improvement it makes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I have problems with app compatability with using ART it doesn't make much sense for me using it yet....

I still find the iPhone 5s more fluid then even the nexus 5 and I'll stick to that opinion

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmm might have to turn it back on to try it out.. Did it around February when I had a nexus 5
ART has basically become a standard now. It's not new anymore so pretty much everyone supports it. Android L will be using it as the default runtime, so developers have been converting to it for a while now.

(Another reason I don't like Samsung....you cannot enable ART on any of Samsung's phones...it doesn't appear as an option in the Developer Options)

cbobb123

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
But that is neither here nor there... the vast majority of those who've used and reviewed the phone all say, almost to the man, that the Nexus 5 is not only the most fluid and 'settled' Android experience, the iPhone has nothing on it when it comes to performance, speed, etc..... It isn't completely devoid of lag or jitter (neither is the iPhone either), but you aren't going to find anything that is.

Why bother arguing any more about it just because someone goes "nuh-uh!"?

I was simply asking for him to make his points clearer. No need for you to start lecturing me....

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to be pedantic here but I'm pretty sure the Google website says that the N7 2013 has also got the S4 Pro chipset.

Not a problem, the specs do say that but it's an S600 that's slightly underclocked compared to the off-the shelf model in the S4 and M7. Same Krait 300's and same GPU as those devices. It's very similar to how the X8 is based on the "S4 Pro" but also shares the same Krait 300 cores and the same GPU as the S600 - making the S4 Pro label incredibly flexible, in that the name spans two generations of architecture, dual and quad-core devices and covers pretty much anything that's not generic within about a 20 month period.

Ultraman1966

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Not a problem, the specs do say that but it's an S600 that's slightly underclocked compared to the off-the shelf model in the S4 and M7. Same Krait 300's and same GPU as those devices. It's very similar to how the X8 is based on the "S4 Pro" but also shares the same Krait 300 cores and the same GPU as the S600 - making the S4 Pro label incredibly flexible, in that the name spans two generations of architecture, dual and quad-core devices and covers pretty much anything that's not generic within about a 20 month period.
Okay, so confusing! You'd think they would come up with better names...