When should I charge my phone

Nigel Huang

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I hear people say that I should charge when the phoen goes all the way to like 10 or turns off to keep the battery healthy, but others say I should start charging at ~50%. When should I charge my phone? Also, how come the phone charges so fast, it was 10 percent and it got 30% in 15 mintues

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Generally if it's a 2013 or newer device, you'll want it to be in between 40% and 80% for as much time as possible. If you have to choose between less than 40% (or 20% is what I use personally) and leaving it on a charger, leave it on the charger.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so If i keep my charging in the 40-80 levels it will be godo for it? So what I am seeing is I should unplug at 80% correct?

If you go by the information provided, yes. Don't let it stress you out though. These devices were meant to be used and keep us connected. Keep it charged at a level you feel comfortable with and use it. If you can keep it between those levels the good, but don't let that decide how you use the device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Also bear in mind there are DIY replacement batteries available.

Posted via Android Central App

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
If you go by the information provided, yes. Don't let it stress you out though. These devices were meant to be used and keep us connected. Keep it charged at a level you feel comfortable with and use it. If you can keep it between those levels the good, but don't let that decide how you use the device.

Exactly. There is no way I am going to try and charge my devices to no more than 80%. What a logistical nightmare. I just keep it on the QI charger all the time I am not using it, so it stays at 100% at least half the day.

The most important thing about LiIon is to try and avoid complete or long discharges (other than when the phone is new and you are initializing the battery). Do it when necessary, but avoid it if possible. So frequent small charges are much better than fewer deep charges

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I certainly wouldn't bother with the 20-80% rule. You might get a little more capacity at the end of two years but what a PITA.
QI mat and full charge every night is about as trouble free and easy as it gets.