I can't deal with the nexus 5 battery life anymore...

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I've burned through 11 percent on standby in 2 hours. I've cleared the cache partition several times and even did a factory reset. I'm so sick and tired of having to carry a phone charger with me at all times... Why can't google fix this already? My phone is stock and all I do is surf the web and text basically.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Since you are showing a weak cell signal, perhaps that is the bulk of your drain? If you click on the graph, it will show the network strength.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Since you are showing a weak cell signal, perhaps that is the bulk of your drain? If you click on the graph, it will show the network strength.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

Is there anything I can do about that? I'm on sprint near Chicago... I don't know why my signal would be so poor.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Is there anything I can do about that? I'm on sprint near Chicago... I don't know why my signal would be so poor.

Aside from changing carriers, probably not.
I am slowly moving away from Sprint. My N5 was not so great on their service.I had my AT&T sim in for a couple days and made a world of difference.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I've burned through 11 percent on standby in 2 hours.
Thats not Nexus 5 battery life. Thats the battery life of your particulart Nexus 5.

I burn through 1-2% overnight (I don't turn anything off except bluetooth). It's definitely not a general Nexus 5 issue. Either you have a rogue app or broken hardware.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Thats not Nexus 5 battery life. Thats the battery life of your particulart Nexus 5.

I burn through 1-2% overnight (I don't turn anything off except bluetooth). It's definitely not a general Nexus 5 issue. Either you have a rogue app or broken hardware.

I would say in general the nexus 5 has a lot of issues regarding battery drain as it is well documented on this forum. Also, my phone has not always behaved like this. After the factory reset, the battery was great, especially standby. I don't want to have to do that every time the phone acts up though. Is there a way to determine a rogue app without rooting?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Looks like there is something Facebook is doing during your standby being at 5% for 2 hours. I have 15 hours on my current charge and I only have 2% used by Facebook and I been on Facebook reading it for at least 45 minutes today over Wi-Fi and just about no other use during that time. My N5 discharges rate in idle is about 2% to 4% max over night after a full charge. My T-Moble signal at home is fair but not real good in strength.

I have seen people finding an App that was using their battery up during idle. So try a test and delete some App for a short test to see if that helps. Try deleting Facebook for a few hours and see if that makes any difference. I have had to use a App to limit Facebook using my GPS in the past that was eating my N5 battery. Since Facebook just got that new messaging App you may want to delete it also for your test.

Read this.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-lg-g2/358723-facebook-battery-drain.html

The Facebook app was outed earlier this summer for it's excessive battery usage. The app refreshes even when running in the background. Fifteen minutes of Facebook time, assuming there are no videos, can use 5 MB of data. http://mashable.com/2013/09/21/batt...raining-your-battery/523f49ccb589e44fde00c230

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I would say in general the nexus 5 has a lot of issues regarding battery drain as it is well documented on this forum.
Just sayin, I doubt I have a magic Nexus 5. If I am not having the issues, and they are, that leads me to believe it's not normal. Their issues may very well be real, but it's not a problem with the design of the phone. It's an issue specific to the phone they have.

Also, my phone has not always behaved like this. After the factory reset, the battery was great, especially standby. I don't want to have to do that every time the phone acts up though. Is there a way to determine a rogue app without rooting?
Only by adding them one at a time after the reset, and monitoring for a while. It's a pain, but it's the only way to be sure. Focus more on the non-popular apps you might have running.

I almost returned mine early on because I thought the touchscreen was broken. But it turned out to be an app I had running (called "Display Brightness", a widget/overlay which lets me adjust brightness of any screen, actually a really cool app I recommend now...they have since fixed the problem with it). This is a hazard on any phone with an open OS. Apple locks apps down tight to avoid exactly this kind of thing from happening.

Gary_Berg

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Shilohcane reminds me to suggest you make sure your GPS isn't on high accuracy, as that will suck battery. And also go through your apps, especially those on your list and cut back their polling; just as his comment about FB.

Also, I'm puzzled how Google keyboard can take so much power unless you are typing away like I crazy...

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Shilohcane reminds me to suggest you make sure your GPS isn't on high accuracy, as that will suck battery. And also go through your apps, especially those on your list and cut back their polling; just as his comment about FB.

Also, I'm puzzled how Google keyboard can take so much power unless you are typing away like I crazy...

What do you mean by "cut back their polling"?

I deleted Facebook and 2 hours later I've only dropped 2 percent.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Not that it means anything for the problems of the OP but I've had my nexus 5 for a little over a week now and I've been really impressed with the battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
.... After the factory reset, the battery was great, especially standby....

... which, IMHO speaks for a rogue app ...
Strange though, that it doesn't show up on the battery-screenshot...

I must concur with D_March and the others: my batterylife is good. Better than it ever was on the Galaxy S3...

...edit: or maybe the rogue app does show up. Could it be something that keeps your screen alive? Or turns it on again and again?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well the fundamental issue is still that the nexus 5 has a small battery. There is a reason why the other flagships used batteries closer to 3000mah... Power phones need the power.

I used to fuss with my nexus 5 all the time, trying to get more time on a charge... Since I've moved to a phone with a much higher capacity, I stopped bothering without realizing it... I just didn't need to anymore.

It really is the phones only shortcoming... If it had a battery that was 2600-3000, it would have made it pretty much perfect.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Removing Facebook seems to have dramatically improved my standby time. This is pretty annoying because I used Facebook a lot... I guess I will just view it through chrome going forward. Screen on time is still between 3-4 hours which from what I gather is about normal.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Removable batteries would have made this a non-issue. But Google is obstinate.

But even that is a bit of a workaround.... you would have to haul around a spare, have to manage charging two batteries (or have an external charger). A removable back plate does allow for EXPANDED battery support, since it can include a new backplate to account for the size increase. Removable batteries do add a bit of complexity and cost to a phone's design, so perhaps this was a beancounter sacrifice.

Still... up until a couple of weeks ago, I would have dismissed battery complaints a bit... but I used my JUMP to go from my Nexus 5 to a LG G3 (because upgrade).... two weeks in, I've noticed that I'm no longer watching the battery indicator... and I'm not in BBS or GSAM all the time trying to find leeches. I'm seeing idle battery consumption drop to below 1%/hour (from 2-4%). I usually needed to pop it on a charger at work, then at night, where now charging is a once a day thing unless I want to top it off. So now I kind of realized how much time I spend fussing with the phone in an attempt to squeeze what I could out of it.

I think it was most noticeable when I had to take a family member to the E.R.... We were there for 6 hours and I was on my phone quite a bit, sending messages home to give updates (everyone is fine). I unconsciously grabbed my wall charger when I left. Had I still had my Nexus 5, I would have been looking for an outlet at some point (which would have been a challenge, ERs don't really want people plugging random stuff in left and right, not a lot of outlets that don't say "Emergency Use Only")... but as is, I never once worried about killing the battery. It was at that point when I realized how much of an achilles heel that battery actually was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol