I can't deal with the nexus 5 battery life anymore...

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Removing Facebook seems to have dramatically improved my standby time. This is pretty annoying because I used Facebook a lot... I guess I will just view it through chrome going forward. Screen on time is still between 3-4 hours which from what I gather is about normal.

The Facebook app sucks anyway...just use the mobile site. It's faster and has more options anyway.

Facebook's Android app has always been awful.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No you would not.

;) that would be great... if I had a Galaxy Nexus. I had a 5.... granted, I know that you can remove the backplate on the 5. It's just held on by a few clips and a dab of easy to remove glue, but I would guess that the battery would need to be disconnected and not just popped out of a cradle. I never looked, but there could be a larger battery and a backplate replacement out there somewhere..... other than those external ones that involve a case... One of the things I liked the most about the 5 was its size, look and form factor. And those extended cases would really screw around with that.

I didn't swap out to a G3 due to battery issues...I did it mostly because my JUMP was up and I might as well use it if I paid for it. And if another Nexus device came along that I really wanted, I could always switch off. I know the Nexus 6? may be coming out, but I'm not sure, based on the leaked info, it would be really much of an upgrade over my 5....but that is a different topic of discussion.

Safe to say that if I had to go back to the Nexus 5 now, I think that the battery capacity would be far more an issue for me now.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I had a galaxy nexus with both standard and extended batteries. The extended battery wasn't that much better than the standard AND most of the cases made for the gnex did not fit with the extended battery. Even with the extended battery, I could not get a full day of use if I were actually using the phone.

It was such a hassle having to keep track of charging multiple batteries and hauling around spares and a charger. Not to mention 2 different cases, or you were stuck with 1 case that fit the extended battery but was slightly too large for the standard battery.

The problem was that the gnex batteries were too small for the power of the device. The answer is larger batteries be they removable or not.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I had a galaxy nexus with both standard and extended batteries. The extended battery wasn't that much better than the standard AND most of the cases made for the gnex did not fit with the extended battery.
I had an extended battery for the HTC Rezound...I could go days between charges sometimes. So your mileage may vary.

But if your battery is not removable, you will be using whatever the manufacturer decided to stick you with.

It was such a hassle having to keep track of charging multiple batteries and hauling around spares and a charger. Not to mention 2 different cases, or you were stuck with 1 case that fit the extended battery but was slightly too large for the standard battery.
I did not have to keep track of anything on my Rezound. I stored the original away and never used it again. My Rezound still works today...and still gets better battery life than my Nexus.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Poor signal eats battery for me. On wifi or with a strong signal I find it ok.

Recently Facebook went batty with battery drain and I had to uninstall/reinstall it to fix it.

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Thats not Nexus 5 battery life. Thats the battery life of your particulart Nexus 5.

I burn through 1-2% overnight (I don't turn anything off except bluetooth). It's definitely not a general Nexus 5 issue. Either you have a rogue app or broken hardware.
I sold my nexus 5 because Crappy battery life.... The battery is pretty small and battery life was an issue in reviews

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Removing Facebook seems to have dramatically improved my standby time. This is pretty annoying because I used Facebook a lot... I guess I will just view it through chrome going forward. Screen on time is still between 3-4 hours which from what I gather is about normal.

Posted via Android Central App

I had the same issue and what Facebook is doing is tracking you via your GPS to sell the info to data mining groups and is also used on Facebook to show you when one of your friends is near you to meet up.

I had some app that Google must have deleted that allowed me to restrict Facebook access. It is now off my phone and not on my Playstore App list anymore.

BTW, you can always use Chrome or another browser to access Facebook on your phone till you can find out how to disable Facebook using your GPS. I wish I could find the App that allowed me to clip any Apps access to my phone that I used to fix Facebook on my N5.

Last edited:

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I've just been using chrome to view Facebook...it's actually better IMO. I won't be reinstalling the Facebook app on my phone.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I sold my nexus 5 because Crappy battery life.... The battery is pretty small and battery life was an issue in reviews
Not all the reviews. Battery life was comparable to an iPhone 5S in Anandtech's tests.

62183.png

60102.png

Anecdotes might lie. Benchmarks don't.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I've burned through 11 percent on standby in 2 hours. I've cleared the cache partition several times and even did a factory reset. I'm so sick and tired of having to carry a phone charger with me at all times... Why can't google fix this already? My phone is stock and all I do is surf the web and text basically.

Send me the phone, and i'll deal with it.:p

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Made it to 4 hours screen on time yesterday. Ended the day at 7 percent battery and almost 16 hours off charger.

Attachments

• 21596.jpg
    21596.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 40
  • 21597.jpg
    21597.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 40

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
FYI, CDMA tends to be a bit more power hungry than GSM, and LTE will also eat battery if the signal is low, and Sprint's LTE coverage in Chicago has gotten a lot better over the past year, but I still find huge battery savings by turning it off, and only using it when I need the speed (which I have been getting of late at least).

Try turning your phone to 3G and see if that helps.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I would only sell this phone to fund an upgrade. Other than the battery, I love the nexus 5. Probably will sell when the 6 comes out.

I hear you on the N5's battery but this simple solution that I keep in my car in a cool bag (Live in FL that is hot) or in my pocket can recharge my N5 three times. For $15 for a Portable 12000mAh Double USB External Battery Power Bank Charger For Cell Phone.

My friends at the local sports bar loved it so much that so far I have purchased about 10 for friends that are now all using it to charge their phones. I got a friend with a Samsung Note 3 that plays games and he has two since he can rip through both in one day while one is charging in the background. He likes this solution better than replacing his removable battery in his Note 3.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz