I can't deal with the nexus 5 battery life anymore...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The G2 came out a couple of months prior to the Nexus 5.... so Google had the option to put a larger battery in there. They used a lot of the internals of the G2 in the Nexus 5, but went with a smaller screen and battery and dropped a bit on the camera as well.... it was probably a compromise to hit a particular price point. I mean, we'd all say "Just charge $5 or $10 more and give me the bigger battery/better camera/etc" but to OEMs, a $5 increase in cost per device could translate in millions of dollars more in manufacturing costs.
Exactly why the device was released with the hardware specs it has. The price point was important. Also, including a larger battery, regardless of incremental price hike, would affect all other components. They would likely have to omit certain components, such as built in Qi charging.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Exactly why the device was released with the hardware specs it has. The price point was important.

I would be fine with Google releasing the Nexus 5 at various price points. You can have a cheaper model with a smaller battery and a more expensive one with a bigger battery. Android is all about choice. Let the people choose.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I would be fine with Google releasing the Nexus 5 at various price points. You can have a cheaper model with a smaller battery and a more expensive one with a bigger battery. Android is all about choice. Let the people choose.

But unlike, say, internal storage, a change in the battery would require two different chassis types to account for the different size batteries. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one phone that came with different battery sizes... The Droid Razr and Droid Razr Maxx lines... seems to me that OEMs decided it just isn't worth the effort.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Maybe they'll do that for this year's new Nexus! Getting excited to see it when it appears lol! I really should not buy another phone though, hahahah! :D

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
But unlike, say, internal storage, a change in the battery would require two different chassis types to account for the different size batteries. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one phone that came with different battery sizes... The Droid Razr and Droid Razr Maxx lines... seems to me that OEMs decided it just isn't worth the effort.

It could also be that a Nexus 5 with superior battery life would pose too much competition to LG-branded phones. Google probably needs to give LG something that will make consumers choose an LG-branded phone over a Nexus 5.

kjell_leo

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem as you!

Then I downloaded the "Easy Battery Saver"-app and it significantly improved my battery life. A few weeks ago thay rolled out a big update with awesome new features. You should try it out!

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a nexus 5 and was a little worried about battery life from the reviews. Now I don't know what the fuss is about. I'm at 30% after 24 hrs. it sits overnight, it only consumes about 5%. Better than my Galaxy S3.
My only special app to manage it is WiFi Matic.

wangyu1006

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hope this could help the person who have the same issue with battery of Nexus 5. Today, I get a power off in the noon because of battery dead. Then I charge the phone to about 50% battery level. And then I went out with it. Around 5 PM, I get another power off because of the battery dead. At this time, I use my wireless charger to charge it. At the very beginning of my charging, I got another power off because the use of the phone. Then I did not touch it until the battery level got to 20%. I took it home and use the original charger to charge it to 100% percent. Then miracle happened and the battery usage changed to normal and no more battery drain. Hope this could provide some ideas.

slinky

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I honestly think the issue is that with a 2300 mAh battery and the usual set of Android apps installed (lots of which stay in the running area), the battery can be depleted very quickly. And if you use any push mail, like the stock mail app with Exchange, you'll see the battery drop extremely quickly. I have my screen set at 1-5% brightness and I still can't get a full day's usage out of the phone without recharging. I am guessing that Facebook has also made this impossible, along with its requirement to have Messenger and those damn bubble heads roaming wild. The foolishness about the 3000 mAh batteries in the new phones is that they run at an insanely high and needless resolution above 1920x1080, which means the battery benefit you might have gained is no longer a true gain. The One M8 is a negligible increase in power and the G3, which still seems unavailable, looks like it will feature the same or worse battery suck with the ultra high resolution screen.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I honestly think the issue is that with a 2300 mAh battery and the usual set of Android apps installed (lots of which stay in the running area), the battery can be depleted very quickly. And if you use any push mail, like the stock mail app with Exchange, you'll see the battery drop extremely quickly. I have my screen set at 1-5% brightness and I still can't get a full day's usage out of the phone without recharging. I am guessing that Facebook has also made this impossible, along with its requirement to have Messenger and those damn bubble heads roaming wild. The foolishness about the 3000 mAh batteries in the new phones is that they run at an insanely high and needless resolution above 1920x1080, which means the battery benefit you might have gained is no longer a true gain. The One M8 is a negligible increase in power and the G3, which still seems unavailable, looks like it will feature the same or worse battery suck with the ultra high resolution screen.

It can't be Exchange. I have EAS on Nine email, on push, constantly running, and I easily get a day. I use no power conservation methods at all. I suspect the culprit in your case is Facebook, which I gleefully uninstalled.

Posted via the Android Central App

Zamblot

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Yeah... i no longer have good battery i look at my friends brand new nexus then my 3 month old nexus, his one works amazing with battery life. i know google has a non removable battery but you just need to unscrew a few things to get the battery life, anyone know a battery to put in the nexus 5 that wont burn out my phone? Also a question out of the blue but if you factory reset and re download clash of clans will it save ur progress

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I found that smart lock was making my battery drain when idle. I was rebooting my device nearly every day but it would suddenly start to drain faster. I turned it off and now my battery life is better. I did not have to reboot it for a week and only did to apply the 5.1 update.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I found that smart lock was making my battery drain when idle. I was rebooting my device nearly every day but it would suddenly start to drain faster. I turned it off and now my battery life is better. I did not have to reboot it for a week and only did to apply the 5.1 update.

Which smart lock were you using?

reneeh63

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Now I'm having to charge constantly at work even though all I really do is check email! Ready to switch to the Samsung s6 Edge...at least it's purty! :D

Crisdean

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I see some bad battery life myself now. Even with maybe 40 minutes viber calls, a few emails and messaging with phone calls not totalling 40 minutes either my phone tops out at around 8 hours. Maybe the battery is deteriorating or some apps are really draining the battery. But in all fairness I haven't installed an awful lot of apps in the meantime.

I'm using not the original charger but have been doing so for many months. So I don't think it's that. I hope that Lollipop 5.1 will improve things a bit. I think that this memory leak issue burns through some battery too, but not entire sure how. So for now I'm trying to find wall plugs everywhere to charge my phone. This however is not always convenient and I'd expect a smartphone to at least last for a day.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
This phones battery is pretty bad, even on 5.1. I love the build of this phone, it runs great and does everything nicely...but the battery is very frustrating, i have to charge it twice a day and its mostly on idle. While its a great phone, i cant wait to upgrade to a phone with better battery and camera.

ab2c4

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
This phones battery is pretty bad, even on 5.1. I love the build of this phone, it runs great and does everything nicely...but the battery is very frustrating, i have to charge it twice a day and its mostly on idle. While its a great phone, i cant wait to upgrade to a phone with better battery and camera.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing. So many things to love about my N5 but the battery and speaker are just plain horrible. Those will be two very important things when I choose my next phone.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
The Facebook app sucks anyway...just use the mobile site. It's faster and has more options anyway.

Facebook's Android app has always been awful.

My Facebook app is fine...as mentioned by LeoRex and everything he is saying, its a smaller battery. While all of us have slightly different battery performances, the truth is the small battery is not meant for consumption.

My nexus 5 can go around 16 hours without charging, that's on idle with a few texts. I've had it go longer at times, and shorter but that's the avg. That's with brightness at 10%, Bluetooth on, WiFi on, location battery saving on. The suggestions such as shut off LTE only use 3G or any other "workaround" is unfair...I don't know that's how I see it. This is the same BS I dealt with on WP, spent a year fighting the OS trying to find all its quibbles and annoyances...it drove me crazy so I had to start sacrificing things I used.

Nexus 5 is an excellent mid range phone with a small battery. That's pretty much it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22