Nexus 5 with Bluetooth ThinkOutside folding keyboard

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Having a cleanup today and found at the bottom of a drawer the Dell XTBT01 keyboard I used with my Axim X50v, and made by ThinkOutside. So that dates it. I don't think I used it for a couple of years and that was to try it with a BlackBerry Bold of some type (unsuccessfully; not much works with a BlackBerry).

But will it work with a Nexus 5? Short answer: yes it does!

1. Turn on Nexus and set Bluetooth to discoverable in the usual manner -- search for devices.
  2. Turn on ThinkOutside keyboard (by unfolding it, or tapping a key if it has been unfolded for a while and gone to sleep) and ensure the little green LED above the letter T is blinking.
  3. Press Ctrl + blue Fn+ green Fn keys on the ThinkOutside keyboard
  4. Nexus finds keyboard and gives a passcode to enter on the keyboard
  5. Press and hold blue Fn key and enter the passcode numbers
  6. Press and hold blue Fn key and hit Enter (OK)

That's it. Don't overlook Step 6.

The Nexus remembers the pairing and automatically connects the next time the ThinkOutside keyboard is turned on. I'm not sure I'll use it that much but the ThinkOutside device is so small it's likely to get thrown into my luggage on a trip -- or even a carry on bag when flying. Definitely faster and more accurate than the Nexus onscreen keyboard, in whatever iteration (Google, Swype, Swiftkey etc) and handy for lengthy and detailed e-mail replies the boss seems to demand even though I'm away.

Keyboard.jpgPaired.jpg

Last edited:

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Sweet device! Although,ultimately, I preferred PalmOS over Windows Mobile (I had a Palm III then a Tungsten; the Tungsten cost twice what I paid for the Nexus 5!). There are a few videos with Android loaded on X51v, presumably just as an exercise.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae