Best car charger?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I to would suggest just a plain USB port charger like maxburn has in the link. They allow for maximum compatibility and with that one having 4.8 amp to share it should be very fast charging.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I like my iVast Premium 2.1A Fast Rapid Dual USB Car Charger Android Smart Mobile Cell Phone. This Ebay site has the iVast Charger with a premium flat USB cables that you have several sets to chose from. It has two USB charging ports 2.1A and 1.2A. I like the flat cable since I can put the charger in a hidden spot and run the flat cable so it plugs into my DVD Cell phone holder so I can use GPS info from Google's Waze App. Waze gives me live traffic details like wrecks, police and traffic congestion as well as good GPS directions. Also, since my car's AC vents blow over the DVD cell phone holder the Nexus 5 stays cool when letting it run for hours.

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Instead of the car charger, I bought a car charger to wall charger converter. Therfore, I can continue to use the wall charger even when I'm in the car.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Certainly a problem - have tried several when I had a Windows Phone and found most would not charge when I was using satnav and playing music - the phone battery drained faster than it charged. Even those described as 1.5a or 2a obviously weren't.

My solution was to get the Nokia DC-20 - available cheap on Amazon. This charger is perfect and has two usb outputs. Nice and compact. I now use it with my Nexus 5 - I can do what i want on the phone and it still charges well.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Instead of the car charger, I bought a car charger to wall charger converter. Therfore, I can continue to use the wall charger even when I'm in the car.

So you take the car's 12v DC and turn it into 120V AC current then convert that to 5v DC to charge your cell phone? It may work but you sure have a lot of transformer loss that could draw a lot of current and blow the fuse in your car.

hawkwind212

May 19, 2013
Visit site
So you take the car's 12v DC and turn it into 120V AC current then convert that to 5v DC to charge your cell phone? It may work but you sure have a lot of transformer loss that could draw a lot of current and blow the fuse in your car.

I really wasn't thinking about the current conversion when I did it. In my mother 's suv she has a built-in 3 prong AC outlet for plugin in electrical appliances. So I thought it be nice I get one of those for my car, plus my car charger isn't working out too good anyway. The converter works fine so far, haven't blowed any fuse yet. It really just a car charger with a 3 prongs AC outlet.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The problem is that you buy a charger with the correct spec only to find it doesn't function as advertised and the phone loses charge quicker than it charges. It's good to have recommendations of actual devices which owners have verified work as expected. I have bought several apparently good units and the Nokia DC-20 is the only one which works correctly.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I really wasn't thinking about the current conversion when I did it. In my mother 's suv she has a built-in 3 prong AC outlet for plugin in electrical appliances. So I thought it be nice I get one of those for my car, plus my car charger isn't working out too good anyway. The converter works fine so far, haven't blowed any fuse yet. It really just a car charger with a 3 prongs AC outlet.

My bad there is nothing wrong with that since it is a factory built-in Car 110v AC outlet that is fused for something as big a TV. I was thinking you had a DC to AC inverter plunged into your cigarette lighter.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I use a Scosche dual charger. Keeps up with the GPS and streaming audio. Its Wirecutter's "Best USB Charger" http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-car-charger/ . It was the first charger to keep my Nexus 5 charged while using the GPS with the screen on. Also can keep my tablet charged at the same time. NOTE: Not for S5's
Amazon.com: Scosche USBC202M Dual 10 Watt (2.1A) USB Car Charger works with iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, IPads, Tablets, and Kindles: Cell Phones & Accessories

I also couple it with a charging cable.. At least its listed as a charge only cable...but I found it transfers data as well...:eek:
Amazon.com: Mediabridge USB 2.0 - Micro-USB to USB Coiled Charging Cable (1.5-3 Feet) - High-Speed A Male to Micro B with Gold-Plated Connectors: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax